Re: autoconf version

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:
> Hello,

Hi, Brian.

> What autoconf version do I need for Heimdal?

I'm afraid that the answer is the current one from the development CVS
tree (available at
CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvs).  Or that is what
we're using, the snapshot at:

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.49a.tar.gz

will probably also work.

Am I sorry that this doesn't make things simpler for the people
hacking Heimdal and building their own stuff, but autoconf should have
gotten a new release a long time ago (2.13 is from Jan 1999), and
there are also always version screws between the three popes
(autoconf, automake and libtool).

> [508] [snoopy:bam] ~/build/heimdal >autoconf
> FATAL ERROR: Autoconf version 2.14.-1.1 or higher is required for this script
>
> where the -1 seems a bit silly to me.

This is due to the version being basically `pre-release' of 2.14.
(Now, the next release might not actually be called 2.14, but that's
another story.)

> I am trying to test my patch (I can give copies to however may be
> interested) that is meant to:

Please send a pointer to the patches and I'll look at them.

> - not install libeditline if libreadline is used. (I still have to
> work out why libreadline isn't being used in the first place though).

Seems fine.

> - use the installed version of libcom_err, rather then compiling a new
> version.

You add autoconf checks for if there's one already?  That's something
that I've been thinking of doing but haven't gotten around to.

> I have been told I have to do similar things for libss (and perhaps
> libsl), whatever these libraries are...
>
> The problem being that the Debian e2fsprogs package contains
> libcom_err and libss, and they conflict.

Yeah, we should probably discuss some more on how to solve the Debian
krb4 vs heimdal vs other stuff problems.

/assar