Re: static libraries

    Johan> Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:
    >> Is it legal to have a static library within a static library?

    Johan> Legal, yes (there's no actual law in Sweden against it,
    Johan> doubt there is in Australia).

I think it is legal, here to. Otherwise, I would be confessing to
committing a crime (aiding a static library to break the law) <grin/>.

    Johan> Valid, possibly, since an `ar' archive is just that, it can
    Johan> contain anything, but I doubt that it has a defined
    Johan> meaning. I'd vote for it being a bug in libtool.

Thats my guess too.

Although I suspect strip, might be buggy, too, as it should give a
better error message.

    Johan> How does it fail?

See the very bottom (the first two messages aren't so interesting) of:
<URL:http://bugs.debian.org/73637>, this is the bug I reported against
strip (Debian).

Basically, I get the error:

[684] [snoopy:bam] ~/build/heimdal-0.3c >strip --strip-debug debian/heimdal-dev/usr/lib/libsl.a
strip: debian/heimdal-dev/usr/lib/stOptMMV/libeditline.a: Invalid operation

which seems to me like it is trying to extract the internal library,
so it can strip it, but something goes wrong and it fails.
--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>