Re: [off-topic] why shared libraries are currently broken

    Niels> I don't see why you would need libtool for that. lsh's
    Niels> configure.in simply uses

    Niels>   AC_CHECK_KRB_LIB(roken, strlcpy) AC_CHECK_KRB_LIB(resolv,
    Niels> dn_expand) AC_CHECK_KRB_LIB(des, des_cbc_encrypt)
    Niels> AC_CHECK_KRB_LIB(asn1, der_get_octet_string)
    Niels> AC_CHECK_KRB_LIB(krb5, krb5_cc_gen_new,,
    Niels> [enable_kerberos=no])

With the shared libraries fixed, you would only have to check for
libkrb5. All the other libraries would be linked in automatically.
This is the way shared libraries should work.

The problem with the above setup, is if say libasn1 was renamed to
something better (asn1 is rather a generic name), it would stop
working...

Or, say I decided to compile my version of Heimdal against a different
version of libasn, then I must also recompile all applications too,
even though the applications aren't really affected by the change.
--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>