Re: PAM bashing (was Re: kerberos support in ssh/lsh)

    Niels> I don't want to use PAM in lshd, for those reasons:

[...]

    Niels> I wouldn't recommend anyone to use PAM for network
    Niels> authentication.

[...]

You may be interested to know, but I posted your message on
debian-devel (where lots of pro-PAM people exist), and too my
surprise, they entirely agree with you.

The original messages can be found at
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0010/msg01425.html>
and
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0010/msg01428.html>

However to summarise them:

    Ben> As the PAM maintainer, I agree totally. In OpenSSH, PAM
    Ben> support is a complete hack. I had to do cartwheels to get the
    Ben> current implementation working as good as it is. Mostly to do
    Ben> with the fact that ssh has no terminal with the client during
    Ben> authentication and arbitrary isn't possible until after the
    Ben> authentication is complete.

    Jason> On 20 Oct 2000, Brian May wrote:

    >> The upstream author of lsh (GPL replacement for ssh v2) has
    >> said quite strongly (in the heimdal-discuss mailing list) that
    >> he is not going to support PAM, as the design of ssh doesn't
    >> support PAM.

    Jason> If he doesn't support PAM for password only authentication
    Jason> and environment setup then he is making a grave mistake and
    Jason> we will have to patch it before it could really be properly
    Jason> used in Debian..

    Jason> PAM has a major failing when dealing with non-local
    Jason> authentication methods (:<) but this basically degenerates
    Jason> into meaning you can't use some neat modules (like OTP),
    Jason> you can't use CHAP systems, and you can't use things that
    Jason> don't make sense (like local smart card readers on the
    Jason> server)

    Jason> Supposidly PAM does have a binary authenticator interface
    Jason> (I don't know the details, but this is supposidly how the
    Jason> Kerb stuff works) but the trouble is that it isn't really
    Jason> workable because the protocol is set by PAM (he got this
    Jason> right)

    Jason> But, you *can* use pam for the simple case of authorizing a
    Jason> single password rather well. (he got this right too)

    Jason> However, there is a whole area that PAM does rather well
    Jason> at, and that is local environment setup, control and such
    Jason> forth (session, account, password changing, etc). This is a
    Jason> fairly common use, for instance all the Debian.org servers
    Jason> use PAM to perform home directory creation on login. PAM
    Jason> modules provide MOTD's, wtmp logging, etc that were
    Jason> traditionally provided by applications.

    Jason> This is a big, important feature that he completely
    Jason> overlooked. IMHO even if PAM is a failure at arbitary
    Jason> protocol authentication it succeeds here at least.

    >> I wondered: how does openssh cope?

    Jason> It has a pseudo 'chat' (right word?) function that only
    Jason> responds with the network password from the client. This is
    Jason> about the best you can do with the old ssh protocol. ssh2
    Jason> is supposed to be better..

    Jason> Frankly, he is dead right. Someone should sit down and
    Jason> extend PAM to work with arbitary CHAP systems at least, it
    Jason> is a messy problem but I think solvable. This must mean
    Jason> changing PAM because the network protocols are already
    Jason> fixed.

SASL?  I will have to ask him about that.

    Jason> Example: ppp-pam cannot use pam_smb to authenticate a MS
    Jason> ppp user using an ecrypted password passed through to an
    Jason> authorization server like Samba.  IIRC this requires a
    Jason> challenge to originate from the samba server, pass through
    Jason> pam, get encoded by ppp, go to the client and get returned
    Jason> all the way back.

I am not going to followup on this in this mailing list anymore.
--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>