Re: heimdal and OpenSSL

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 01:51:55AM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

> As an OpenSSL developer, I'd like to know what's the actual benefit of
> Heimdals des_new_random_key() over OpenSSLs des_random_key().  I
> understand it's based on a different PRNG, is that the only real
> difference, or does the scrambling with des_ecb_encrypt() have a
> meaning I can't detect yet?

As I understand you can get a repeatable sequence of DES keys by using
des_set_random_generator_seed(). It might be used for some applications
if they want a shared sequence of random DES keys (they need to negotiate
the initial seed only). Personally I do not know about any application
that uses this feature.

Gabor

--
Gabor Gombas                                       Eotvos Lorand University
E-mail: gombasg@inf.elte.hu                        Hungary