Re: pam_krb5 not talking to kdc

Kerberos is an authentication mechanism only. It doesn't map principal
names to, say, Unix/POSIX UIDs, GIDs, home directory paths and so on.

You still need /etc/passwd for that. Granted, this sortof sucks and you
need to arrange to use a secure name service.

Unix/POSIX suck too in that the UID/GID namespace is flat. As opposed to
the Windows NT/2K SID namespace.

Also, with Win2k ActiveDirectory KDCs, Kerberos tickets DO contain
information to map the user principal name to winnt/win2k info (e.g.,
SIDs list). Unfortunately MS did this in a rather ugly, non-standard way
and is using the DMCA to publish the details while claiming that they
are a trade secret.

Nico