Re: kafs

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:

> What is the purpose of this files, and is it OK if I delete the
> Heimdal version and use the kerberos4kth version instead?

Large parts of krb4 and Heimdal use the same code base, and when
compiled as part of either package will include support for respective
protocols. Krb4 for Kerberos 4, and Heimdal for Kerberos 5 and
possibly Kerberos 4.

This is the case with kafs too. With krb4 you get only krb4 support.
With Heimdal, if compiled with krb4 support (it requires krb4 support,
since AFS only works with krb4), you get both. That is, it can take a
Kerberos 5 ticket, convert it to Kerberos 4 format, and then shoves it
in the kernel.

So if you build your Heimdal package with krb4 support, you might want
to include kafs there too. Otherwise not.

We know that it's hard to install packages from these two at the same
time. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve the situation,
that doesn't make it hard for people that don't use packages, and also
works with older systems?

/Johan