Re: Support for multiple GSS libs

Did some work with mechglue from the MIT Kerberos 1.2.2, and got it to build as
a shared library under Solaris, and link with openssh-2.9p2, but not run.

The code needs a lot of work. It looks like it was designed for gssapi v1, and
has not been updated for v2.

Mechglue expects the implementation to have a gss_mech_initialize routine which will
return a mechanism and an array of entry points. GSI does not have such an array.
(But it would not take much to add it.) The MIT code does not have one now
as the routine which did have it was dropped some time ago, but the source code
is still there.

The mechglue was designed to work with either static or dynamic linking,
thus the need for the above table and some redefinitions of entry points
if both mechglue and libgssapi_krb5.a where linked. Now that most systems can handle
dynamic loading there would be a better approach. This would be to
load the gssapi implementation, then do a dlsym() call for each entry
point, rather then just the gss_mech_initialize with the mechglue building
the gss_mechanism table at run time. This should work with the MIT, GSI,
or Hiemdal code without changes to the libraries and should work with W2K DLLs too.

The gss_mechanism table also assumes only one mechanism per library.
This is not general, as a single implementation may support multiple
mechanisms. This to could be fixed.

SASL does something similar with dynamic plugins too.

Another problem is that the GSSAPI does not define how delegated credentials
are to be saved. It is left up to the implementation to provide extra implementation
specific routines to handle the delegated credentials. The gss_krb5_* and Kerberos
routines are called to do this from the openssh for the Kerberos credentials, where
there is a ssh_gssapi_krb5_storecreds().

With GSI, we addressed delegated credentials in two ways:

 (1) A hacked up version of gss_inquire_cred was developed that if called with a
     specific minor status, would write out the credential. We have an MIT krb5-1.2.2
     equivalent mod. This can be used by the gatekeeper with either GSI or K5.
     No new entry points, and its generic, returing a string to be set in the environment.

 (2) We have an extensions draft for IETF for GSSAPI which addresses this as
     one issue and adds some generic calls to handle the delegated credentials.
     gss_export_cred() which is implemented for GSI, but I never wrote one for Krb5.

So mechglue looks promising, but it needs a lot of work.

--

 Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
 Argonne National Laboratory