Problem building 0.4e with openssl crypto + krb4

Hi,

I am having problems building 0.4e with kaserver (krb4) support on a
Linux (RH 7.2) box. What I see is that configure refuses to acknowledge
the existence of the krb4 installation. A snip from config.log:

configure:16986: gcc  -o conftest -I/usr/athena/include -g -O2
conftest.c -L/usr/athena/lib -lkrb -ldes -lresolv  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldes
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:16989: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 16974 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <krb.h>
int
main ()
{

  ;
  return 0;
}

The reason for the des library being missing is that I have openssl
installed, so krb4 is using -lcrypto instead. (And so is the heimdal
config, btw, but not in the krb4 check...). So hardcoding the des
library (two places in configure.in) in the check for krb4 seems buggy
to me. Or am I missing something...?

Not being an expert in autoconf et al., I would appreciate some help
with a hack that would fix this without screwing up too much of the
rest.

      Cheers,

         Torbjorn Moa