User database requirements for PKINIT

I am runing  Heimdal with the pre-beta PKINIT patch (posted May 15
2002).
To get it to work with a principal, I first had to add the principal to
the database
using the kadmin add command.  If the principal is not in the data base
when I
send an AS-REQ message (with pkinit), I recieve a KRB_ERROR message
with "client unknown".   Is this the expected behavior - in other words
must
the principal be in the database before an AS-REQ  (with pkinit) will
work (for
this version and future versions of PKINIT).  Thanks.

Christopher