Re: rsh wants to execvp rlogin woes

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 08:55:18PM -0400, Vlad D. Markov wrote:
> When I execute "krsh -x happy" (Debian renamed rsh to krsh)

Actually, you may still be able to use rsh, it just
depends on what your update-alternative settings are.

However, IIRC calling krsh without a command is not supported,
and it just calls an existing version of rlogin.

I don't know of a Heimdal version of rlogin, or even
if one exists. Why not use telnet instead?

> I get back:
> rlogin: invalid option -- x
> usage: rlogin [-8ELKd] [-e char] [-i user] [-l user] [-p port] host
>
> Telnet works, ftp works, the "X" stuff also fails.

I do not know why the X stuff would fail, it has been ages
since I last needed it.

What errors do you get?

> What can I do to fix this problem?

Can you please give me the output of the following command?

/usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display rlogin

I am just curious what rlogin is on your system.

On my system, rlogin is provided by ssh, and -x means don't forward X
(which is completely different to how krsh interprets it).

[512] [scrooge:bam] ~ >/usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display rlogin
rlogin - status is auto.
 link currently points to /usr/bin/ssh
/usr/bin/ssh - priority 20
 slave rlogin.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/ssh.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/ssh.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>