Heimdal compatibility with MIT Krb 4

I'm looking at setting up a Heimdal kdc to translate AFS, MITv4,
MITv5, and maybe Microsoft kerberos requests into a cross-realm
request to a kaserver.  My ignorance is clearly showing so any
pointers to TFM so I can R would be appreciated.

Where I'm specifically hung up this instant is just plain ordinary
MITv4 support.  I have a valid principal and OSX can do MITv5
authentication, but not v4.

Solaris 7 with the old MITv4 code it came with always fails with an
unknown principal message.  The kdc log on a NetBSD 1.6L machine says
it's requesting a krbtgt.HOTZ.JPL.NASA.GOV@A ticket.  I don't see the
"A" in a tcpdump of the network traffic.  The krb5.conf file is: