Heimdal/AFS Master Key Coordination

Kerberos encrypts its database with a master key kept in the stash
file.  AFS kaserver does something similar, but I'm not sure exactly
what.  What do I need to do to make sure that the encryption works
between the two with hprop/hpropd?

What I tried doing was using ktutil to convert the
/usr/afs/etc/KeyFile to a K5 keytab and feeding that to hprop
--keyfile=... --decrypt --stdout.  It still wanted a stash file.  I
could understand hpropd wanting the stash file so it could re-encrypt
the data, but this is just hprop reading the data.