New installation for GSSAPI, sample application error

I am running Heimdal 0.6 and having trouble with the SASL and did not get any responses to help. My problem is just after installing and trying the sample application.

I am brand new to SASL setting up with GSSAPI support for Kerberos to be used with OpenLDAP. I
have exported a key 'ldap/directory.webtent.net@WEBTENT.NET' into a
keytab file readable by the sample application in the distribution. I
start the sample server:

[root sample]# ./server -s ldap
trying 10, 1, 6
socket: Invalid argument
trying 2, 1, 6
trying 1, 1, 0

Then try to connect via the sample client:

[root sample]# ./client -s ldap -m GSSAPI directory
receiving capability list... recv: {39}
ANONYMOUS PLAIN OTP DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
ANONYMOUS PLAIN OTP DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
server doesn't offer mandatory mech 'GSSAPI'
closing connection

Is it required at this point to have a service configuration file in the
/usr/lib/sasl2 directory? My book is not clear on that and what it
should be named, ldap? When the client tries the connection you see
above, the server responds:

accepted new connection
send: {39}
ANONYMOUS PLAIN OTP DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
client didn't choose mechanism
closing connection

The cyrus-sasl-2.1.15 was installed with '--enable-gssapi=/usr', where
'/usr' was the prefix for the Kerberos installation. Did not have any
configuration or building errors.

Can someone point me to what I'm doing wrong?

--
Robert