Re: Eh, what? on build.

On Feb 5, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>> verify_krb5_conf.c:452:7: missing terminating " character
>> verify_krb5_conf.c:453:7: missing terminating " character
>> *** Error code 1
>> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `verify_krb5_conf.o'
>> Current working directory /hank/dist/heimdal-0.6/lib/krb5
>> *** Error code 1
>> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
>> Current working directory /hank/dist/heimdal-0.6/lib
>> *** Error code 1
>> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
>>
>> #if 0
>> struct entry kdcdefaults_entries[] = {
>>     { "kdc_ports, krb5_config_string, mit_entry },
>>     { "v4_mode, krb5_config_string, mit_entry },
>>     { NULL }
>> };
>> #endif
>>

> My first reaction was "how did this *ever* compile with the missing
> quotes?"  My second reaction was "how did the compiler ever notice the
> problem given the #if 0//#endif block?"  This looks like a compiler
> bug, really.

I got the same thing on a similar build environment, Solaris 8 and gcc
3.2.  And I wondered the same thing. Like the preprocessor wants to
parse the code even though it's stubbed out, however weird and useless
that sounds. I added the missing quotes and pressed on.

You know, I have a Linux host right here, let's try it... it does the
same thing on Fedora Core 1 with gcc 3.3.2. Let's try an older one...
ah, it compiles clean on Redhat 7.1 with gcc 2.96.

  - A