Re: DNS lookup for resolving domain to realm mapping works...but only after I modified the source code ?

This is an excerpts from a paper by Jonathan Trostle,
Irina Kosinovsky and Michael Swift, titled
Implementation of Crossrealm Referral Handling in the
MIT Kerberos Client:

"Short names are the names users sometimes input to
iden- tify servers. For example, "telnet foo" could be
short for "telnet foo.example.org". The client is then
left with two options: send the short name to the KDC,
or perform a limited amount of name canonicaliza- tion
locally. The MIT Kerberos approach to
name-canonicalization solves the problem of obtaining
the long name by using DNS reverse lookups. Unfortu-
nately, this approach depends on the security of DNS.
The Windows 2000 client does not canonicalize names at
all, so the short name is sent to the KDC.
(In the Windows 2000 case, this design decision was
driven by the desire for backwards compatibility with
Net- bios which has a flat namespace of hostnames,
thus increasing the chances that short names are
unique.)"

Any comments ? I supposed that in this case it is
really the responsibility of KDC to resolve the
'finding the correct realm' issue. I'm still clueless
how this is done by the Heimdal KDC...
Creating a one to one mapping between each server's
short name and the realm (either in DNS or krb5.conf)
will do but this approache will requires a large
amount of work to do.

Perhaps somebody who has worked this out can give me a
hints ?

-lara-

=====