Re: Cross Realm Auth: how to resolve the issue of finding the 'Correct' realm of service for ms w2k client...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean....
or maybe we have different goals ?

I'll try to re-explain my problem in a better way:
I have two domains located in 2 different realms:
domain A is a win2k domain
domain B is a kerberos domain (a Heimdal kerberos
realm - I have to use heimdal bec I intend to use it
with openldap)
There exists a cross-realm trust between domain A and
domain B.

In domain A, there is a win2k prof machine, let's we
call it PC-1.
While in domain B, there is a win2k prof machine as
well: PC-2.

A user using PC-2 has successfully authenticated
himself to Kerberos Realm (domain B), and now the user
wants to access PC-1 in domain A. Theoritically, this
is possible since the cross-realm trust has been
established.

So, PC-2 sent a TGS to its KDC in domain B requesting
for service: host/PC-1@DOMAINB.COM (the short name of
PC-1). As I traced the code, I noticed that the KDC
was trying to find a match for PC-1, either in
krb5.conf or DNS entry (_kerberos.PC-1). Hence, the
KDC would only be able to return PC-2 a referral if I
have created a mapping entry for PC-1 in
[domain_realm] section of krb5.conf like the
following:
PC-1 = DOMAINA.COM
or if i created a DNS entry as the following:
_kerberos.PC-1   IN   TXT   DOMAINA.COM

I imagine that this will be very painful if I have to
create a mapping for every service that exists in the
domain, and imagine if there are lots of domain !

Any comments ?

http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/kwc/krb5stuff/referrals.html

=====