Re: Mechanism extensions and the GSSAPI

    Nicolas> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 02:26:54PM -0400, Sam Hartman
    Nicolas> wrote:
    >> And yet none of these are useful if we are specifying at the
    >> shim layer.

    Nicolas> Specifying at the shim layer.  I'll have to think about
    Nicolas> that.

If we don't specify at the shim layer, then we cannot depend on the
shims being present.  That means that people are forced to code to the
ioctls, which makes extensions hard to use.

ALso, while I'm willing to agree that an ioctl approach is reasonable
for C, I'm much less convinced that it is right for Java or some other
language binding.

GSSAPI has always been specified at an API layer.  AS such you should
specify extensions the same way.

--Sam