Making hdb-ldap fail well

I have a situation at my site where LDAP isn't playing as nice as I
would like.  However, this is compounded by the way that Heimdal uses
LDAP:

The problem is that the LDAP server is down, and instead of returning
some 'soft fail' error code to the clients, Heimdal returns a 'no such
user' response.  This means that clients do not try any of the other
kerberos servers for my realm.

Is there any other way to make heimdal 'play dead' better?  Either by
simply not replying, or is there a nice 'sorry, try elsewhere' error in
krb5?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--