kadmin doesn't bind to OpenLDAP

Hi all
I'm trying to setup Openldap as a kerberos back end.
I am using FreeBSD 5.3, Heimdal-0.6.1 and OpenLDAP 2.2.19
An Heimdal was compiled --with-openldap
I have applied the FreeBSD patch to change the sockurl
from
ldapi:///
ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fopenldap%2fldapi/
in the hdb-ldap.c file.
I have also followed the instructions at
http://www.padl.com/Research/Heimdal.html
My krb5.conf file looks like the generic
[libdefaults]
         default_realm = EXAMPLE.COM
[realms]
         EXAMPLE.COM = {
                 kdc = kerberos.example.com
                 }
[domain_realm]
         .example.com = EXAMPLE.COM
[kdc]
         database = {
                 dbname = ldap:ou=kerberosprincipals,dc=example,dc=com
                 mkey_file = /var/heimdal/m-key
                 }

What is happening is when I run kadmin -l
and try to init EXAMPLE.COM
instead of making contact with the ldap
server it just creates a database and a log file in the local directory.
ldap:ou=kerberosprincipals,dc=example,dc=com.db
and
ldap:ou=kerberosprincipals,dc=example,dc=com.log

Does any one know what is going on?