Re: Current ideas on kerberos requirements for Samba4

So far all the respondents to this thread represent the 2% of the sites
and have all be active with Kerberos and AFS for years, but do understand
the issues of the other 98%.

You have suggested a libkdc, and shipping someone else KDC. What about
the other way around, where you work with the KDC vendors, to add the hooks
needed to support your needs. In this way you could work your way gradually
into an existing Kerberos environment, and could also ship or point at
the KDC vendors to use.

It really comes down to what are the real requirements for the KDC
and what are the minimal changes required.

It would appear that the first thing needed is to add a PAC to a Kerberos
ticket for a samba server, or even to a TGT. From a first glance, a KDC
could make a simple call out to your libs to do this.

Also to start with, you may want to consider letting the KDC use its
own databases for its authentication information separate from
the authorization information you need for the PAC. This would
also make is much simpler on the KDC or existing sites.

I would really like to see them separate. Your AD replacement could
use the kadmin interfaces to update the KDC's databases much like the
kadmind does today if really needed.

This is only a first cut, but I would suspect that the authentication
and AD like authorization could be separated out keeping the KDC and
the AD functions pretty much separate.

I am sure the the Kerberos vendors would be glad to work with you.

As Howard and others have said, don't fall into the traps that DCE
and AD have falling into of tightly combining authentication and
authorization into a single server.