Re: Future of kerberised telnet, login, rsh, ftp?

--On 07/08/05 11:15:34 -0400 Ken Hornstein wrote:
> Interesting.  I'm wondering what your network link is for the second
> graph, though, because clearly 23 MB/sec (hpn-ssh with arcfour) is too
> fast for 100 Mbps.

When you're moving terabyte files, 100Mbps is way too slow.  :-)  We looked
into this issue because at gigE speeds it became obvious that fast CPUs
were sitting almost idle during scp, thus the encryption latency was
probably not the main problem.  I suspect that the tests were done on gigE,
though we now have 10gigE links to a few other sites.

Even though a patched ssh is pretty speedy, I don't plan on getting rid of
krsh  or kftp anytime soon.  But still, we've found that "everyone" has scp
or sftp while few of our users have kerberized tools, so ssh is slowly
taking over.

	-Kevin

PGP signature