Re: krb5-config and static vs shared

    Sam> Steve brings up an interesting issue about tools like
    Sam> krb5-config and how they interact with shared libraries.

    Sam> *sigh* There was supposed to be a nice long forwarded message attached
    Sam> to that.

I suspect Sam means
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/11/msg00016.html>

kbr5-config in Debian has been patched to do the right thing for
shared libraries (but maybe not static libraries unless you use
libtool):

# krb5-config krb5 --libs
-L/usr/lib -lkrb5

However, many applications don't seem to use this, and link directly
against libroken and other libraries even though it is not required (I
haven't investigated in detail).

Having programs link against libroken that don't use it *is* a
problem, because these packages will need to be recompiled when I
upload heimdal 0.7.1 to unstable (the libraries conflict with
kerberos4kth libraries). Fortunately, the number of affected
applications is small.

Then again, I think many of these issues are Debian packaging issues,
not upstream issues.

What are pkg-config .pc files? Does heimdal come with any? Does it
need to come with any?

Apologies if this is *not* what Sam was talking about.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>