Re: telnet: Encrypting the session key

On May 30, 2006, at 7:48 AM, Love Hörnquist Åstrand wrote:

> "Ted Percival" <Ted.Percival@quest.com> writes:
>
>> I was building Heimdal's telnet (and several other apps) with a krb5
>> implementation that only uses ARCFOUR tickets, not DES tickets.
>> The first
>> change was in appl/telnet/libtelnet/kerberos5.c:247, changing
>> KEYTYPE_DES
>> to KEYTYPE_ARCFOUR. I ran into a problem where the client's data
>> showed
>> up garbled on the server. The reason turned out to be a keytype
>> check in
>> appl/telnet/ libtelnet/kerberos5.c. kerberos5_reply() calls
>> encrypt_session_key() regardless of keytype, but kerberos5_is() only
>> encrypts it in the following case:
>
> I thought that the telnet standard only supported DES and tripple
> DES, of
> which heimdal only support the DES case. Jeffery Altman might know
> more
> about that.
>
> One problem is that Heimdal is not that good at returning sensable
> enctypes, in both AS-REQ and TGS-REQ. Does Windows Kerberos server
> doesn't
> support arcfour enctype for the ticket, with single-des for the
> session
> key?
>
> Want I want to see it more people stop using telnet and moving over to
> ssh/gssapi (both userauth and kex-exchange).
>
> Love

Yeah!

The GSSAPI-keyex stuff isn't in the openssh distro yet AFAIK, but
it's in current MacOS X, Solaris, Debian (and I'm told RedHat).  If
that doesn't cover you then go to <http://www.sxw.org.uk/computing/
patches/openssh.html> and build a patched version of OpenSSH that
does it properly.

There are patches for Solaris 9 that back-port ssh client support.
If you need to support MacOS 10.3 clients then I recommend the Debian
Kerberized OpenSSH 3.8 package (though the patches port to 3.9
without too much trouble).
----