Re: config option inconsistencies

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:11:14 +0100
Gabor Gombas <gombasg@sztaki.hu> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 05:11:44PM -0500, Kevin Coffman wrote:
>
> > I was just talking about new options being added for pkinit.  I'm
> > pretty sure it would be too painful (for the installed base) at this
> > point to change these.
>
> Not neccessarily. If you modify the config file parser to automatically
> replace '-' with '_' or just to strip both from key names, then Heimdal
> could accept all forms. Whether that would really improve compatibility
> or would just increase user confusion is another question.

I think it would be cleaner to add the options with the desired names and
make the old ones aliases for the new options. Then globally search and
replace all instances of the old option names with the new ones with
appropriate footnotes. Then you leave it like that forever or until
everyone has migrated to Kerberos 6.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen