Re: pkinit_require_eku

Love Hörnquist Åstrand wrote:

>> And is it a necessary requirement to have eku field in the
>> certificates ?
>
> Its required to have the PK-INIT EKU in the KDC's certificate by
> the RFC specifying PK-INIT.

Looking at RFC 4556 (PKINIT) I see the OIDs and data structures differs
from what is needed for smartcard logon with MS AD at the moment. Is
that right?

I'm currently designing certificate profiles for client authentication
certs and server certs. Should I add these OIDs to EKU extension for
future PKINIT implementations? I wonder where this all is heading...

Ciao, Michael.

RFC 4556 section 3.2.2 for client certs:

       id-pkinit-san OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
         { iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) security(5) kerberosv5(2)
           x509SanAN (2) }

RFC 4556 in section 3.2.2 for client certs:

   Unless the client knows by some other means that the KDC certificate
   is intended for a Kerberos KDC, the client MUST require that the KDC
   certificate contains the EKU KeyPurposeId [RFC3280] id-pkinit-KPKdc:

       id-pkinit-KPKdc OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
         { iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) security(5) kerberosv5(2)
           pkinit(3) keyPurposeKdc(5) }
              -- Signing KDC responses.
              -- Key usage bits that MUST be consistent:
              -- digitalSignature.