"No database support for /var/heimdal/heimdal" ?

Hi,
	I'm compiling and installing Heimdal 1.0.1 on a Debian Etch amd64
testing machine, per the instructions on your site (no flags to ./
configure).  When I go to create a database, I get the following error:

# kadmin -l
kadmin: No database support for /var/heimdal/heimdal
#

I can't find reference to this error anywhere, and I'm not sure
exactly what it means.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam