Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Re: MEMORY credential cache interop betweenHeimdal and MIT?

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:39:41 +0200
u+openafsdev-sr55@chalmers.se wrote:

> PAGs are supposed to be handy, but they contradict the basic *nix design,
> which is built around uid as the main credential.
> So they are controversial by nature.

A uid is not a credential. Maybe back in 1984 it was but now it's just
a user identifier and it's not even good at that. In fact I would say
that little number is at the source of this thread and a LOT of other
problems from network identity management to access control. By claiming
you shouldn't contradict a design that is now clearly not adequate simply
because that is what people are still using is odd.

Mike