Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Re: MEMORY credential cache interop betweenHeimdal and MIT?

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:42:39 -0400
Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> Just so we're clear: I think a kernel solution is preferrable.  But I
> was given the task to solve the problems associated with Kerberos tickets
> on disk NOW, dammit, so cajoling various vendors into developing a solution
> and waiting the couple of years it would have taken to get that into
> their products was simply not an option.

You don't have to wait. Any OS worth it's weight in bits has loadable
kernel modules. You create a source package that is compiled against
some kernel headers to get a module that can be loaded directly into the
kernel (as root of course). Vendors can provide binaries for each kernel
package so that auto-updates work smoothly. VMWare does this. They have
kernel modules that are constructed and installed on-the-fly.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory Kerberos SSO