Re: Setting DNS Servers Manually?

On Thursday 18 October 2007 07:57:00 Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 21:44:17 -0700
>
> "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understand.
> >
> > If you put everything in the krb5.conf then it doesn't need to do SRV
> > record lookup.  You could setenv KRB5_CONFIG to an application-
> > specific config file.  Maybe you can even put the Krb servers in as
> > IP numbers instead of DNS names.  Was that the sort of thing you were
> > looking for?
>
> Hi Henry,
>
> Actually I already do that mostly. I bypass the SRV lookups by doing
> those myself. And I added a krb5_config_set function to set the kdc
> (and kpasswd_server for password setting). But still libkrb5 needs to
> do at least A record lookups and I wouldn't be surprised to find some
> logic that still provokes SRV lookups or need to do them for some reason.
>
> Converting to IP before krb5_config_set-ing seems seems like it could
> lead to trouble since Kerberos needs FQDNs to pick out realms, generate
> names, etc.
>
> Also, what I really want to do is channel all DNS queries through my
> DNS lib so I provide consistent DNS server fallback behavior, caching,
> server "stickiness", etc.
>
> But for now I would be happy if I could just overload gethostbyname. So
> basically I want to create a 'libmyresolv' that has a my_gethostbyname
> function and then modify Heimdal to use it. Unfortunately the libmyresolv
> would need to link with my libs that link with Heimdal which creates a
> nasty circular dependency. Still haven't wrapped my head around that one.

Not necessarily, if the function names are the same as libresolv, you should
in theory be able to set LD_PRELOAD to your libmyresolv.

And maybe you should consider contributing your changes upstream, so none of
this is necessary in future, and *all* apps on the host benefit from this.

Regards,
Buchan

Regards,
Buchan