Re: special principals handling

On Feb 1, 2008, at 9:14 , Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> Second, our usual policy is to grant admins all authorisations with
> their standard accounts (through sudo, or ldap group ACLs, for
> instance), so as to avoid keeping trace of shared passwords. It seems
> the usual kerberos practice is to create additional principal with a
> 'admin' instance for admins, but this constitute two different
> accounts.
> Is there any way to automatically sync 'foo@REALM' with
> 'foo/admin@REALM' for this purpose ? Or is it really a bad practice to
> grant all powers to 'foo@REALM' ?

Minimal privilege is a very good idea in general, to help avoid
mistakes and to make it easier to test things (if your normal account
has full privileges, you have to use someone else's account to test
and debug privilege/permission-related issues).  This is also why
it's a bad idea to do everything on Unix as root or on Windows as
Administrator, etc.

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu