Re: LDAP/Kerberos/GSSAPI Error:Hostname cannot be canonicalized

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:01 PM,  <fmayer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi list,
> I am trying to setup a LDAP-Server with SASL and Kerberos-authentication via
> GSSAPI. The Systems are running debian etch unsing the heimdal-implementation.
> [...]
>> fmayer@client:~$ ldapsearch
>> SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
>> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Local error (-2)
>>         additional info: SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error: An invalid
> name was supplied
>>         (Hostname cannot be canonicalized)

I assume you are using a single host for this tests. Check /etc/hosts,
because debian/ubuntu has a strange 127.0.1.1 (or something alike)
there. Also, they tend to force local node resolution to 127.0.0.1
there, so the reverse resolution check might fail.

The other thing that might be failing is the absence of a proper
.my.domain = MY.DOMAIN in the domain_realm section.

try running ldapsearch specifiying node name or addresses on command
line, and that will might produce clarifiying messages.

Javier Palacios