G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: levitte programming

Archive-Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 15:33:23 +0200
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 08:53:16 -0500
From: Jim Kingdon <kingdonc@harvey.cyclic.com>
To: free-vms@lp.se
Subject: VMSBACKUP 3.0.1 uploaded

A new version of VMSBACKUP is available at
ftp://ftp.wku.edu/pub/free-vms/testing

Changes from the previous version:

* Now has a version number, which is handled according to the free-vms
coding standards.  The version number of the comp.sources.unix version
(which only appeared in comments in the source) was 3.0.  The version
number of this version is 3.0.1.  There was no version number for the
version in between which previously was on ftp.wku.edu.

* Better handling of command line syntax when running on VMS.  In
particular, now handles the /SAVE_SET qualifier.

* Can print the saveset's date when running on VMS (sure is easier to
call sys$asctim now that I have the documentation :-)).

* Various minor tweaks.

There is, as should be obvious from a glance at the README file, much
more work to be done.  Any contributions are welcome.  I thank the
people (one or two) who reported on their experiences with the
previous version; if people want to send in bugfixes, enhancements,
documentation, etc., that is also welcome.
Archive-Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 17:05:39 +0200
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 01:05:10 JST
From: "Makoto Shimojima, Univ of Tsukuba/CDF" <mako@hep.px.tsukuba.ac.jp>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
CC: mako@hep.px.tsukuba.ac.jp
Subject: RE: VMSBACKUP 3.0.1 uploaded

> Subject: VMSBACKUP 3.0.1 uploaded
>
>                    The version number of the comp.sources.unix version
> (which only appeared in comments in the source) was 3.0.

Interesting... I did not realise this before but I have one that says
its version is 4.0:

  *  Title:
  *      Backup
  *
  *  Decription:
  *      Program to read VMS backup tape
  *
  *  Author:
  *      John Douglas CAREY.
  *      Sven-Ove Westberg    (version 3.0)
  *
  *  Net-addess:
  *      john%monu1.oz@seismo.ARPA
  *      luthcad!sow@enea.UUCP
  *
  *  History:
  *      Version 1.0 - September 1984
  *              Can only read variable length records
  *      Version 1.1
  *              Cleaned up the program from the original hack
  *              Can now read stream files
  *      Version 1.2
  *              Now convert filename from VMS to UNIX
  *                      and creates sub-directories
  *      Version 1.3
  *              Works on the Pyramid if SWAP is defined
  *      Version 1.4
  *              Reads files spanning multiple tape blocks
  *      Version 1.5
  *              Always reset reclen = 0 on file open
  *              Now output fixed length records
  *
  *      Version 2.0 - July 1985
  *              VMS Version 4.0 causes a rethink !!
  *              Now use mtio operations instead of opening and closing file
  *              Blocksize now grabed from the label
  *
  *      Version 2.1 - September 1985
  *              Handle variable length records of zero length.
  *
  *      Version 2.2 - July 1986
  *              Handle FORTRAN records of zero length.
  *              Inserted exit(0) at end of program.
  *              Distributed program in aus.sources
  *
  *      Version 2.3 - August 1986
  *              Handle FORTRAN records with record length fields
  *              at the end of a block
  *              Put debug output to a file.
  *              Distributed program in net.sources
  *
  *      Version 3.0 - December 1986
  *              Handle multiple saveset
  *              Remote tape
  *              Interactive mode
  *              File name selection with meta-characters
  *              Convert ; to : in VMS filenames
  *              Flag for usage of VMS directory structure
  *              Flag for "useless" files  eg. *.exe
  *              Flag for use VMS version in file names
  *              Flag for verbose mode
  *              Flag to list the contents of the tape
  *              Distributed to mod.sources
  *
  *      Version 4.0 - November 1988 by Timothy Stark (11TSTARK@GALLUA)
  *              Handle disk saveset
  *              Add -b option to set block size for disk saveset

Is this the same VMSBACKUP? It consists of the following 9 files.

  # -rw-rw-r--  1 dkinney       299 May 22  1990 Makefile
  # -rw-r--r--  1 dkinney       605 May 22  1990 Makefile.orig
  # -rw-rw-r--  1 dkinney       573 May 22  1990 README
  # -rw-rw-r--  1 dkinney      2048 May 22  1990 getopt.1
  # -rw-rw-r--  1 dkinney      3561 May 22  1990 getopt.c
  # -rw-rw-r--  1 dkinney      8100 May 22  1990 match.c
  # -rw-rw-r--  1 dkinney      3528 May 22  1990 vmsbackup.1
  # -rw-rw-r--  1 dkinney     24995 May 22  1990 vmsbackup.c
  # -rw-rw-r--  1 dkinney      4304 Jun 19  1990 vmsbackup.doc

If you have the original V3.0 source files, it would be quite easy to
find out what exactly Timothy Stark added in this version.

						mako
Archive-Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 20:17:59 +0200
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
Date: Tue,  3 Dec 1996 20:17:53 MET
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
To: free-vms@lp.se
Subject: Silence and a new machine...

Hello,

I've been pretty silent for some time now, due to the need to work so
I can pay my bills, illness, and the setup of a new machine.  My habit
of being a periodic person (meaning I switch projects from time to time)
also has some importance I guess :-).

Anyway, Robert Nydahl and I are currently setting up a MicroVAX 4000-200
to be used as experimental machine for VMS programs (like VMSBACKUP, for
example).  It pretty much depends on me when the setup will be done (we
expect that machine to crash more often than is usual, because it will
be hacked into much more than the average VMS machine usually is), of
which we will do a backup before we let people get on it.

It will also be the main HTTP and FTP server for the Free-VMS project,
with at least one mirror that I think I will make triggerable on demand.

The MicroVAX is loaded with 64MB RAM and 2 RF35s for now.

Next thing to do is to get a PC from somewhere, on which the kernel base
can be hacked.

I'd like to know how things are going for those people who said they'd
try to get the source for VMS-On-Mach and Intrepid for us.  Is there
still some hope, or are we better of reinventing those wheels?

(the light at my table just went out, meaning I have a hard time seeing
my keyboard.  I hope I didn't make to many typing errors that I then
missed...)

--
R Levitte, Levitte Programming; Spannvägen 38, I; S-161 43  Bromma; SWEDEN
                  Tel: +46-8-26 52 47;  No fax right now
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
Date: Tue,  3 Dec 1996 20:17:53 MET
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
To: free-vms@lp.se

[...]

R Levitte, Levitte Programming; SpannvÆgen 38, I; S-161 43  Bromma; SWEDEN
                  Tel: +46-8-26 52 47;  No fax right now
  PGP key fingerprint = A6 96 C0 34 3A 96 AA 6C  B0 D5 9A DF D2 E9 9C 65
   Check http://www.lp.se/~levitte for my public key.   bastard@bofh.se
Archive-Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:58:43 +0200
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 01:05:10 JST
From: "Makoto Shimojima, Univ of Tsukuba/CDF" <mako@hep.px.tsukuba.ac.jp>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
CC: mako@hep.px.tsukuba.ac.jp

> Subject: VMSBACKUP 3.0.1 uploaded
>
>                    The version number of the comp.sources.unix version
> (which only appeared in comments in the source) was 3.0.

Interesting... I did not realise this before but I have one that says
its version is 4.0:

  *  Title:
  *      Backup
  *
  *  Decription:
  *      Program to read VMS backup tape
  *
  *  Author:
[...]

Archive-Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 00:31:04 +0200
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:31:24 -0500 (EST)
From: EVERHART@Arisia.GCE.Com
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
Subject: RE: Silence and a new machine...

The manager who was helpful with releasing the source code left Digital
but we'll try again with the new one, who has so far been quite receptive
to ideas from engineers. The guy in the BUSINESS end of the outfit
hasn't responded at all. Damfino why.

BTW I understand that VMS is now allowed to make statements about ways
in which it is superior to Unix and/or NT publically. Not that fears
have kept the engineers quiet, but who knows...maybe even some advertising
might occur someday!??
Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 19:02:58 +0200
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 13:02:34 -0500
From: JayPed@aol.com
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
Subject: Tops-10 source code?

<< I read in comp.sys.dec that Digital was going to give out
 "free, personal use, non-commercial licenses" for
 TOPS-10, TOPS-20, and related layored products and
 utilities for your home system.

 Just fill out a simple license agreement. It also seems to
 make the source available also in the wording of the agreement. >>

Has anyone looked into this?  If nothing else, this could give us a source
code base for utilities like DIFFERENCES ... instead of writing it from
scratch ... unless the source code is unusable.  Even if not in a directly
PC-friendly source code ... it may be of use as a starting point ... better
than coding from scratch.

-Jay Pedersen
Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 23:20:17 +0200
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:18:17 -0500
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
From: munroe@acornsw.com (Dick Munroe)
Subject: Re: Tops-10 source code?

><< I read in comp.sys.dec that Digital was going to give out
> "free, personal use, non-commercial licenses" for
> TOPS-10, TOPS-20, and related layored products and
> utilities for your home system.
>
> Just fill out a simple license agreement. It also seems to
> make the source available also in the wording of the agreement. >>
>
>Has anyone looked into this?  If nothing else, this could give us a source
>code base for utilities like DIFFERENCES ... instead of writing it from
>scratch ... unless the source code is unusable.  Even if not in a directly
>PC-friendly source code ... it may be of use as a starting point ... better
>than coding from scratch.
>
>-Jay Pedersen

Its all likely to be written in Bliss-36 or Macro-36.  B36 will be pretty
easy to deal with.  M36 is a BEAR to write nearly as bad as hand written
macro code for RISC boxes...

But it sounds like a good idea.

Dick

p.s. on an unrelated subject, is this list available in digest form?

--
Dick Munroe                             munroe@acornsw.com
Acorn Software                          (508) 568 1618 x1

Need a web site? a web server? other web service?  Contact us...
"They told me to get Windows 3.1 or better...so I bought a Macintosh"
"Then they told me to get Windows 95 or better...so I bought another Mac!"
"Now they tell me to get Window NT 4.0 Server or better...my new Mac is on
order!"

Archive-Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 06:53:14 +0200
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 21:52:47 PST
From: "Henry W. Miller" <henrym@sacto.mp.usbr.gov>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
CC: henrym@sacto.mp.usbr.gov

> From:	MX%"Free-VMS@lp.se" 19-DEC-1996 14:27:48.69
> Subj:	Re: Tops-10 source code?

> >In a message dated 96-11-26 16:26:10 EST, you write:
> >
> ><< I read in comp.sys.dec that Digital was going to give out
> > "free, personal use, non-commercial licenses" for
> > TOPS-10, TOPS-20, and related layored products and
> > utilities for your home system.
> >
> > Just fill out a simple license agreement. It also seems to
> > make the source available also in the wording of the agreement. >>
> >
> >Has anyone looked into this?  If nothing else, this could give us a source
> >code base for utilities like DIFFERENCES ... instead of writing it from
> >scratch ... unless the source code is unusable.  Even if not in a directly
> >PC-friendly source code ... it may be of use as a starting point ... better
> >than coding from scratch.
> >
> >-Jay Pedersen
>
> Its all likely to be written in Bliss-36 or Macro-36.  B36 will be pretty
> easy to deal with.  M36 is a BEAR to write nearly as bad as hand written
> macro code for RISC boxes...

	It was almost all written in Macro-10.  The only noteable
exception that I can think of was the Fortran compiler, which was
written in Bliss-10.

	There was a lot of clever coding techniques used, which
unfortunately may make it difficult to port, as Bliss does not have the
equivalent of a GOTO statement.

> But it sounds like a good idea.

	At least to see the algorithims used...

> Dick

-HWM

> p.s. on an unrelated subject, is this list available in digest form?
>
> --
> Dick Munroe                             munroe@acornsw.com
> Acorn Software                          (508) 568 1618 x1
> 267 Cox St.                             FAX:  562 1133
> Hudson, Ma. 01749                       http://www.acornsw.com/
>
> Need a web site? a web server? other web service?  Contact us...
> "They told me to get Windows 3.1 or better...so I bought a Macintosh"
> "Then they told me to get Windows 95 or better...so I bought another Mac!"
> "Now they tell me to get Window NT 4.0 Server or better...my new Mac is on
> order!"

Archive-Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 16:08:40 +0200
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:47:50 -0500
From: parke@star.zko.dec.com (Pati die.)
To: FREE-VMS@lp.se

>From:	SMTP%"Free-VMS@lp.se" 19-DEC-1996 17:43:45.91
>To:	Free-VMS@lp.se
>CC:
>Subj:	Re: Tops-10 source code?

>Its all likely to be written in Bliss-36 or Macro-36.  B36 will be pretty
>easy to deal with.  M36 is a BEAR to write nearly as bad as hand written
                     ^^^^^
			Excuse me?  PDP/DECSystem-10 MACRO was one of the
                            easiest instriction sets to keep in your head,
                            and the assembler made it relatively simple.
                            In fact, with all of the nifty instructions
                            available on VAX, I still miss the -10.

>macro code for RISC boxes...
>
>But it sounds like a good idea.
>
>Dick

Bill Parke

Bill Parke, OpenVMS Engineering	   |  1. The only cheap page fault is none
  parke@star.zko.dec.com           |  2. Good software is unfat
    Opinions stated are mine alone |  3. Software is the pane of our existance
    and not Digital's              |  4. It takes thought to right software

Archive-Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 03:57:20 +0200
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 21:57:58 -0500
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
From: munroe@acornsw.com (Dick Munroe)

>                        Excuse me?  PDP/DECSystem-10 MACRO was one of the
>                            easiest instriction sets to keep in your head,
>                            and the assembler made it relatively simple.
>                            In fact, with all of the nifty instructions
>                            available on VAX, I still miss the -10.

Matter of opinion I guess.

I did a lot of Macro 10 (sorry for the Macro 36, it's been 20+ years...)
doing cross development tools for the PDP-15s and I found the orthogonality
of the instruction set quite easy in the sense that practically everything
you wrote would execute (and frequently NOT do what you wanted, exactly)
but the fact that there were SO many ways to do the same thing that design
choices and coding styles could make a piece of code virtually
unreadable...until you figured out what the writer was doing with an
instruction used in a way that you hadn't seen (or thought of) before.

Dick

--
Dick Munroe                             munroe@acornsw.com
Acorn Software                          (508) 568 1618 x1
267 Cox St.                             FAX:  562 1133
Hudson, Ma. 01749                       http://www.acornsw.com/

Need a web site? a web server? other web service?  Contact us...
"They told me to get Windows 3.1 or better so I bought a Macintosh!"
"Then they told me to get Windows 95 or better...so I bought another Mac!"
"Now they tell me to get Windows NT 4.0 Server or better...I've ordered
another Mac!"

Archive-Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 14:56:23 +0200
Sender: owner-free-vms@lp.se
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 08:55:55 -0500 (EST)
From: "christopher f. chiesa" <lvt-cfc@servtech.com>

Hi again, Dick.

You wrote:

> >                        Excuse me?  PDP/DECSystem-10 MACRO was one of the
> >                            easiest instriction sets to keep in your head,
> >                            and the assembler made it relatively simple.
> >                            In fact, with all of the nifty instructions
> >                            available on VAX, I still miss the -10.
> >

> Matter of opinion I guess.
> [...]

Very interesting -- but why did you send it to ME?   I didn't contribute
any of the above, nor do I remember ever even SEEING any of the above in
any thread which has yet passed before my eyes.  (I get the distinct
impression that ServTech's Usenet Newsfeed is... well... malnourished...)

Better check those attributions a little more closely, my friend...

Happy Holidays,
   Chris Chiesa
     lvt-cfc@servtech.com