G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: levitte programming

Archive-Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 06:39:56 +0200
Date: Fri,  2 Apr 1999 06:39:47 +0200
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
To: free-vms@lp.se
Subject: Happy Easter!

Hi,

Happy Easter to you all.

This is a time when I go off-line for a few days.  Be back on tuesday.

--
R Levitte, Levitte Programming;  Spannv. 38, I;  S-168 35  Bromma;  SWEDEN
    Tel: +46-8-26 52 47; Cell: +46-708-26 53 44; Fax: +46-708-26 53 88

          "price, performance, quality.  Choose any two you like"
Archive-Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 20:52:52 +0200
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 14:56:21 -0700
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
From: noahp@altavista.net
Subject: Re: Re[4]: Do we need to use ODSx for Free-VMS?

>This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
>MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.
>www.mimesweeper.com
>-3.2.99djz-

Really? It does? I don't see any digital signature ...

Archive-Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 13:44:35 +0200
From: Kerry Main <Kerry.Main@digital.com>
To: "'Free-VMS@lp.se'" <Free-VMS@lp.se>
Subject: RE: Compaq and VMS (was RE: Speculation)
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 07:44:24 -0400

Apologies for dropping in on the newsgroup, but just to clarify the attached

Would any sane company abandon a product that last year brought in $5B in
HW, SW and services revenue ?
http://www.openvms.digital.com/COMMIT_OPENVMS_UNIX_MESSAGING.HTML

Would the 1st new stock exchange in 25 years choose OpenVMS as its platform
if it did not have a long term committment?
http://www.compaq.com/newsroom/pr/1998/pr101198a.html

Bottom line is that OpenVMS is going to be around for a long time.

As pointed out in this article
<http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,396808,00.html>, other OS's
are beginning to realize the importance of availability and OpenVMS
clustering is still the highwater mark that other OS's are trying to reach.

Features such as 96 node with load balancing support, full cluster file
system, distributed lock manager, load balancing between systems in
different datacenters, dynamic drag-n-drop resources between OS instances on
the same physical box, clustering between OS instances on the same box,
NT/Win965 mgmt GUI's etc are all just geams in the eyes of most of the
competition.

Reference:
http://www.openvms.digital.com/affinity/galaxy.html

And lots more cooking ..

:-)

Kerry Main
Senior Consultant,
Compaq Canada Inc.
Voice : 613-591-5078 / 621-5078 (dtn)
Fax    : 613-591-5113
Email : kerry.main@compaq.com

Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:40:50 -0500
From: David.Dachtera@advocatehealth.com (David Dachtera)
Subject: Re[2]: Compaq and VMS (was RE: Speculation)
To: Free-VMS@lp.se

   Hello, Kerry,

   Yes, everything you cited is true.

   So why is it that when we go to presentations by Compaq
   (Decpaq, Comgital, or whatever), all we hear is "NT, NT,
   NT, NT" or "Tru64, Tru64, Tru64, Tru64" and now even
   "Linux, Linux, Linux, Linux", and scarcely a word about
   OVMS? ...it's usually only mentioned in passing, in
   response to a query from the floor, "Well, what about
   OpenVMS?", to which the response is usually a paltry,
   "Yes, OpenVMS is supported also."

   If you want to quash the rumors, it's going to take a
   *LOT* of proactive marketing (never Digital's strong
   suit, apparently not Compaq's, either).

   Relegating OpenVMS to the "high-end, Enterprise class"
   market will do nothing to quell these rumors, either.
   Almost since the dawn of the MicroVAX, VMS has been
   scalable from the desktop to the datacenter. VMS pricing,
   on the other end, never has scaled on a level even
   approaching that of VMS itself.

   I am very sure that I can help with Compaq/Digital's
   OpenVMS marketing woes. Please contact me directly. You
   can find my phone number, etc. (USA) on my web site.
   Follow the "Contact Us" link from any of the newer (white
   background) pages, including the home page (the URL is
   found below).

   Attendees at DECUS Providence, RI, USA should look for a
   short (5 foot, 8 inches) pudgy guy with light brown (and
   some grey) hair wearing a badge that says "GTDPD!" (Get
   The Damn Price Down!)

   Supporters of Affordable OpenVMS can take a sneak preview
   of the "Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page" at
   http://home.earthlink.net/~djesys/vms/soho/  There's even
   a message board!

   David J. Dachtera,
   dba DJE Systems
   http://home.earthlink.net/~djesys/

--------------
Regards,
Noah Paul <noahp@altavista.net>

PGP Public Key: http://gandolf.lincnet.org/~noahp/Public_Key

   The following text is inserted unconditionally by the
   mail system and can safely be ignored. Some mail-enabled
   servers choke on superfluous text, so be sure to cut this
   out of your reply if you will be Cc:'ing a mail-enabled
   server of any kind.
whom they are addressed.
system manager at: Corrections@advocatehealth.com.
All other questions and problems to: postman@advocatehealth.com

Opinions and views expressed are not necessarily that of
Advocate Health Care. www.advocatehealth.com

This footnote also confirms that this email message/content has
been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.
www.mimesweeper.com
-3.30.99djz-
Archive-Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:11:39 +0200
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 22:11:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Noah Paul <noahp@altavista.net>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Compaq and VMS (was RE: Speculation)

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, David Dachtera wrote:

>   Hello, Kerry,
>
>   Yes, everything you cited is true.
>
>   So why is it that when we go to presentations by Compaq
>   (Decpaq, Comgital, or whatever), all we hear is "NT, NT,
>   NT, NT" or "Tru64, Tru64, Tru64, Tru64" and now even
>   "Linux, Linux, Linux, Linux", and scarcely a word about
>   OVMS? ...it's usually only mentioned in passing, in
>   response to a query from the floor, "Well, what about
>   OpenVMS?", to which the response is usually a paltry,
>   "Yes, OpenVMS is supported also."

	Which is a very good reason to port OVMS to other
	platforms and push for it's use by others (apparently
	this honor falls upon Us).

>   If you want to quash the rumors, it's going to take a
>   *LOT* of proactive marketing (never Digital's strong
>   suit, apparently not Compaq's, either).

	Amen.

>   Relegating OpenVMS to the "high-end, Enterprise class"
>   market will do nothing to quell these rumors, either.
>   Almost since the dawn of the MicroVAX, VMS has been
>   scalable from the desktop to the datacenter. VMS pricing,
>   on the other end, never has scaled on a level even
>   approaching that of VMS itself.
>
>   I am very sure that I can help with Compaq/Digital's
>   OpenVMS marketing woes. Please contact me directly. You
>   can find my phone number, etc. (USA) on my web site.
>   Follow the "Contact Us" link from any of the newer (white
>   background) pages, including the home page (the URL is
>   found below).
>
>   Attendees at DECUS Providence, RI, USA should look for a
>   short (5 foot, 8 inches) pudgy guy with light brown (and
>   some grey) hair wearing a badge that says "GTDPD!" (Get
>   The Damn Price Down!)
>
>   Supporters of Affordable OpenVMS can take a sneak preview
>   of the "Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page" at
>   http://home.earthlink.net/~djesys/vms/soho/  There's even
>   a message board!
>
>   David J. Dachtera,
>   dba DJE Systems
>   http://home.earthlink.net/~djesys/

By the way, I've been working on a cryptographic hash function. If
you're interested, http://146.115.234.58/~noahp/hash.
____________________________
Regards,
Noah Paul <noahp@altavista.net>
PGP Public Key:		finger noahp@www.ultranet.com

``A distributed system is one on which I can't do my work because some
  machine I never heard of has crashed'' -- Leslie Lamport, author of LaTeX

Archive-Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:59:11 +0200
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 22:58:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Noah Paul <noahp@altavista.net>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se

>By the way, I've been working on a cryptographic hash function. If
>you're interested, http://146.115.234.58/~noahp/hash.

that is, hash.c

>____________________________
>Regards,
>Noah Paul <noahp@altavista.net>
>PGP Public Key:		finger noahp@www.ultranet.com
>
>``A distributed system is one on which I can't do my work because some
>  machine I never heard of has crashed'' -- Leslie Lamport, author of LaTeX

Archive-Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:27:36 +0200
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:37:45
From: "David J. Dachtera" <djesys@earthlink.net>
Subject: Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page

Affordable OpenVMS now has an Unofficial Home Page and even a Message
Board!

Visit http://home.earthlink.net/~djesys/vms/soho/

Share the dream! Support Affordable OpenVMS!

David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems
http://home.earthlink.net/~djesys/