G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These terms only appear in links pointing to this page: ftp

Archive-Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:00:37 +0200
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:58:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Noah Paul <noahp@altavista.net>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
Subject: Low Activity & blah blah blah ...

Hey, all ...

 Gee, we've been real quiet for a long time [see a pattern here?]. It
 seems that pattern is:

   1 Flurry of activity ...
   2 Slows down ...
   3 Silence ...
   4a Somebody (quite often me ... :)) presents a
     { good | new | provocative | stupid } idea,
   		or
   4b Somebody asks "WHERE THE HELL HAVE ALL OF YOU BEEN? WHAT'S UP?
      WHY IS IT SO **@#%(*@(% QUIET?"
   5 Repeat

So, I'll go straight into step 4b :) ...

Hello? It's been awful quiet. I remember that there were quite a few
interesting projects going a couple of months ago ... what happened?

Regards,
Noah Paul <noahp@altavista.net>

Archive-Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:51:23 +0200
Sender: imolnar@profis.hu
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:48:00 +0200
From: Aku-Aku <imolnar@profis.hu>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
Subject: Re: Low Activity & blah blah blah ...

Noah Paul wrote:

> Hey, all ...
>
>  Gee, we've been real quiet for a long time [see a pattern here?]. It
>  seems that pattern is:
>
>    1 Flurry of activity ...
>    2 Slows down ...
>    3 Silence ...
>    4a Somebody (quite often me ... :)) presents a
>      { good | new | provocative | stupid } idea,
>                 or
>    4b Somebody asks "WHERE THE HELL HAVE ALL OF YOU BEEN? WHAT'S UP?
>       WHY IS IT SO **@#%(*@(% QUIET?"
>    5 Repeat
>
> So, I'll go straight into step 4b :) ...
>
> Hello? It's been awful quiet. I remember that there were quite a few
> interesting projects going a couple of months ago ... what happened?
>
> Regards,
> Noah Paul <noahp@altavista.net>

I`ve a provocative idea. :)
The developing of the Free-VMS should be to continue.

Archive-Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:02:46 +0200
Sender: Manfred.Haertel@rz-online.de
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:34:31 +0200
From: Manfred Haertel <Manfred.Haertel@rz-online.de>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se

Noah Paul wrote:

> Hello? It's been awful quiet. I remember that there were quite a few
> interesting projects going a couple of months ago ... what happened?

I think the main problem is that most people say "we should do this and
that" instead of "we currently do this and that"...

--
Manfred Haertel          mailto:Manfred.Haertel@rz-online.de
                         http://rz-home.de/mhaertel
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:59:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Noah Paul <noahp@altavista.net>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se

Amen.

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Manfred Haertel wrote:

> Noah Paul wrote:
>
> > Hello? It's been awful quiet. I remember that there were quite a few
> > interesting projects going a couple of months ago ... what happened?
>
> I think the main problem is that most people say "we should do this and
> that" instead of "we currently do this and that"...
>
> --
> Manfred Haertel          mailto:Manfred.Haertel@rz-online.de
>                          http://rz-home.de/mhaertel
> Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
>                                        John Lennon

Archive-Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 22:03:15 +0200
Sender: toddc@serv01.net-link.net
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:03:58 -0400
From: "Todd C. Campbell" <toddc@net-link.net>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se

Manfred Haertel wrote:

> Noah Paul wrote:
>
> > Hello? It's been awful quiet. I remember that there were quite a few
> > interesting projects going a couple of months ago ... what happened?
>
> I think the main problem is that most people say "we should do this and
> that" instead of "we currently do this and that"...

I agree. I for one, am tied up in projects at work, starting my own
business, and finding a new house. I have not forgotten though. My vax is
sitting on my kitchen table reminding me that it needs some attention.

Are there any on going projects? If so, how are we coming with those? (I
haven't checked out the web page recently, maybe I'll get time to peakl
today)

-Todd

Archive-Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:23:01 +0200
Sender: imolnar@profis.hu
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:19:52 +0200
From: Aku-Aku <imolnar@profis.hu>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se

Manfred Haertel wrote:

> Noah Paul wrote:
>
> > Hello? It's been awful quiet. I remember that there were quite a few
> > interesting projects going a couple of months ago ... what happened?
>
> I think the main problem is that most people say "we should do this and
> that" instead of "we currently do this and that"...
>
> --
> Manfred Haertel          mailto:Manfred.Haertel@rz-online.de
>                          http://rz-home.de/mhaertel
> Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
>                                        John Lennon

I'd love to do anything for the Free-VMS project.
But, i don't know what could i do and how.

Imre Molnar
A retired OpenVMS sysman

Archive-Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:26:30 +0200
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:24:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Clemmitt Sigler <siglercm@alphamb2.phys.vt.edu>
Subject: vmsbackup on Unix, info on errors...

Hi all,

Hope this e-mail isn't too long :^)

First I want to say a huge "Thank you" for the Unix vmsbackup utility,
esp. to Jim Kingdon from whose CVS archive I got sources that worked
out-of-the-box on Digital Unix (or whatever they're calling it today ;^).
I've read the archives and haven't seen any traffic on vmsbackup for
about a year, I hope it hasn't been abandoned...

Yes, I have gone over to the dark side quite a while ago.  Our VAX
cluster shut down 1 1/2 yrs ago.  But, of course, I need a few
Fortran programs from my advisor's old VAX directory to calculate
some corrections.  vmsbackup is working fine to extract these
critical files, but I have found two nagging problems I don't
know enough to fix and haven't found any info concerning:

1.) On listing a system backup save set, it dies saying:

Volume: BACKUP
Saveset name: BACKUA0.BCK   number: 1
Save set:          BACKUA0.BCK
Written by:        SYSTEM
UIC:               [000001,000004]
Command:           BACKUP/NOASSIST/IMAGE/LOG $1$DUA0:
MUA0:BACKUA0.BCK/LABEL=BAC
KUP/REWIND/RECORD/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK,NOBACKUP)
Operating system:  OpenVMS VAX version V5.5
BACKUP version:    V5.5-2
CPU ID register:   14000006
Node name:         _VTINTE::
Written on:        _VTINTE$MUA0:
Block size:        8192
Group size:        10
Buffer count:      38
.
.
.
[UCX$SNMP]UCX$SNMP_STARTUP.LOG;104                          9
[000000]VOLSET.SYS;1                                        0
[]000000.DIR;1                                              6
[]SYSCOMMON.DIR;1                                           2
Snark: invalid data header
 buffer = "|!^W"
 buffer[0] = "|"; buffer[1] = "!"
 filename = []SYSCOMMON.DIR;1

(The stuff at the end is some debugging output I've added.)  Both
buffer[0] and buffer[1] are supposed to be '1' but they're not.
Does this mean that the tape is corrupt at this point or that
there's some record structure in the BACKUP 5.5-2 version that
vmsbackup doesn't understand?

2.) A few files seem to have recoverable problems when listing,
for example:

Invalid record format = 17
 filename = [SIGLERCM.TEXT.SLIDES]UE1_1.DWG;1
Invalid record format = 17
 filename = [SIGLERCM.TEXT.SLIDES]UE1_1.DWT;1
Invalid record format = 17
 filename = [SIGLERCM.TEXT.SLIDES]UE1_1.DWT;1
.
.
.
Invalid record format = 34
 filename = [LEGS.LEGSLIB]FORTUNE.DAT;1
Invalid record format = 34
 filename = [LEGS.LEGSLIB]FORTUNE.DAT;1
.
.
.
Invalid record format = 34
 filename = [SIGLERCM.MAIL]MAIL.MAI;1
Invalid record format = 34
 filename = [SIGLERCM.MAIL]MAIL.MAI;1

(Again, I've added some debugging info to the code.)  This problem seems
to happen to certain types of files, like all the EDGR (drawing program
written at the lab where I did my physics research work) files, etc.  From
this I'm guessing that vmsbackup doesn't know how to handle this type of
record correctly?  This save set seems to be uncorrupted.

I just know nothing about the VMS BACKUP record structure except
what I've learned from reading the vmsbackup source code.  I
haven't found any docs on this, either, but this may be entirely
my fault.  I now know Unix much better than VAX.

TIA for any help or pointers you can give me.  I'm willing to
work on the code to fix this stuff if these are problems with
the code and not the BACKUP tapes.

					Clemmitt Sigler
					Va. Tech Physics Dept.

Archive-Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:24:45 +0200
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:38:22 -0600
From: Kevin Handy <kth@srv.net>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
Subject: Re: vmsbackup on Unix, info on errors...

Clemmitt Sigler wrote:

> Yes, I have gone over to the dark side quite a while ago.  Our VAX
> cluster shut down 1 1/2 yrs ago.  But, of course, I need a few
> Fortran programs from my advisor's old VAX directory to calculate
> some corrections.  vmsbackup is working fine to extract these
> critical files, but I have found two nagging problems I don't
> know enough to fix and haven't found any info concerning:
>
> 1.) On listing a system backup save set, it dies saying:
>
> Volume: BACKUP
> Saveset name: BACKUA0.BCK   number: 1
> Save set:          BACKUA0.BCK
> Written by:        SYSTEM
> UIC:               [000001,000004]
> Command:           BACKUP/NOASSIST/IMAGE/LOG $1$DUA0:
> MUA0:BACKUA0.BCK/LABEL=BAC
> KUP/REWIND/RECORD/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK,NOBACKUP)
> Operating system:  OpenVMS VAX version V5.5
> BACKUP version:    V5.5-2
> CPU ID register:   14000006
> Node name:         _VTINTE::
> Written on:        _VTINTE$MUA0:
> Block size:        8192

Make sure that you specify this block size on the command line.
(It's a little stupid, and can act weird if it doesn't have it)

	vmsbackup -b 8192 backua0.bck

You may also want to try

	vmsbackup -t -b 8192 backua0.bck

which should just give you a listing of the files on the tape.
If it makes it to the end, it has to be something about the file types
that isn't being handled correctly.

Also, it would help to know which version you are using.
The version I hacked up has a few less problems that the standard 4-1
version (should be available from the same place), including some
memory allocation problems, and some record type problems.

> (Again, I've added some debugging info to the code.)  This problem seems
> to happen to certain types of files, like all the EDGR (drawing program
> written at the lab where I did my physics research work) files, etc.  From
> this I'm guessing that vmsbackup doesn't know how to handle this type of
> record correctly?  This save set seems to be uncorrupted.
>
> I just know nothing about the VMS BACKUP record structure except
> what I've learned from reading the vmsbackup source code.  I
> haven't found any docs on this, either, but this may be entirely
> my fault.  I now know Unix much better than VAX.

I just went to the source code, and set it up to die when it found
a problem instead of skipping it. I then looked at the data
packets and worked out what was in that type, then added code
to handle it.

> TIA for any help or pointers you can give me.  I'm willing to
> work on the code to fix this stuff if these are problems with
> the code and not the BACKUP tapes.

I'd suggest using my version as a base, since I used the 4-1 version
and made several changes to allow it to read RSTS/E backup tapes
when I needed them, and added a lot of additional code to handle more
of the VMS specific fields while I was there, and fixed a couple
of off-by-one memory allocations (if I remember correctly).

You can grep 'vmsbackup.c' for the string RSTS to see if it is my
version.
There is a lot of '#ifdef DEBUG' that can be turned on to get some
help deciphering what is happening.
Archive-Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:08:52 +0200
From: Byron_COLLINS@paribas.com
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:55:49 +0100
Subject: VAX Prices

Not really to do with the Free VMS project but  It would be nice if I had a VAX
workstation at home

Basically I am after some base prices for second hand workstations.

What would be a reasonable price for say a VAX station 4000-90.

Also, does anybody know a good site for sourcing this sort of info.

Cheers Byron

This message is confidential; its contents do not constitute a
commitment by Paribas except where provided for in a written agreement
between you and Paribas. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or
dissemination, either whole or partial, is prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient of the message, please notify the sender
immediately.

Ce message est confidentiel ; son contenu ne représente en aucun cas un
engagement de la part de Paribas sous réserve de tout accord conclu par
écrit entre vous et Paribas. Toute publication, utilisation ou
diffusion, même partielle, doit être autorisée préalablement. Si vous
n'êtes pas destinataire de ce message, merci d'en avertir immédiatement
l'expéditeur.
Archive-Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:48:43 +0200
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:39:23 -0500
From: David.Dachtera@advocatehealth.com (David Dachtera)
Subject: Re: VAX Prices
To: Free-VMS@lp.se

   Byron,
   =

   The comp.os.vms newsgroup is one place to find folks =

   looking for and selling old VAX gear.
   =

   You might also try:
   =

   Island Computer            http://www.islandco.com/
   The Newman Group           http://www.newman.com/
   Great Lakes Computer       http://www.glcomp.com/
   =

   These are U.S. companies; however, they can usually =

   handle the export formalities or can maybe steer you onto =

   a local distributor.
   =

   David J. Dachtera
   dba DJE Systems
   http://home.earthlink.net/~djesys/

---- =

This message is confidential; its contents do not constitute a =

commitment by Paribas except where provided for in a written agreement =

between you and Paribas. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or =

dissemination, either whole or partial, is prohibited. If you are not =

the intended recipient of the message, please notify the sender =

immediately. =

   =

Ce message est confidentiel ; son contenu ne repr=E9sente en aucun cas un=
 =

engagement de la part de Paribas sous r=E9serve de tout accord conclu par=
 =

=E9crit entre vous et Paribas. Toute publication, utilisation ou =

diffusion, m=EAme partielle, doit =EAtre autoris=E9e pr=E9alablement. Si =
vous =

n'=EAtes pas destinataire de ce message, merci d'en avertir imm=E9diateme=
nt =

l'exp=E9diteur.

Archive-Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 19:39:56 +0200
From: sur@ricks.ENET.dec.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 99 13:38:24 EDT
To: free-vms@lp.se
Subject: VMS workstation

There are some new computers that may fit the your needs. There is the DS10
and XP900 workstation that seem attractively priced. Both the DS10 and the
XP900 use the new Alpha EV6 processor. The DS10 starts at 3500
US Dollars without the operating system. The DS10 is available through
www.dcginc.com. The XP900 should be available later this summer. You should
get something new since the old VMS workstations seem to have an inflated
price. www.nthgencomp.com has a special on a EV56 500 MHz OVMS workstation with
512 MB of RAM for about 7000 US Dollars.

/Matthew