G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These terms only appear in links pointing to this page: ftp

Archive-Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 07:46:00 +0200
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 15:48:16 +1000
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
From: Richard Banks <rbanks@arel.com.au>
Subject: Is anything happening?

OK, I'm a lurker, just keeping an eye on what's been happening so feel free to flame me if this is out of line....

I see the web site hasn't been updated in over a year and I haven't seen a peep out of the mailing list for months.

Should I believe that everyone has given up and moved onto other things?

Just wondering.

Richard.

Archive-Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 17:02:50 +0200
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 11:04:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Noah Paul <noahp@altavista.net>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se

Probably. :(

I didn't even recall that I was subscribed to this list ... This *WAS* an
interesting project (R.I.P.) and I would have liked to work further on it,
but apparently the best I can do now is write it's obituary. I don't have
enough time  to get something started -- got my hands full with other
technical projects, school, and my new FAQ for a political discussion
group.

> Should I believe that
> everyone has given up and moved onto other things?
>
> Just wondering.
>
> Richard.

Regards,
Noah Paul <noahp@altavista.net>

PGP Public Key: http://146.115.234.58/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint:    20 3b 5c e8 fa ad 87 8f 32 1b 30 5b b9 5a af 0d
Voicemail/FAX:  1.877.646.5588 ext. 659

``Paranoia strikes deep / Into your life it will creep
  It starts when you're always afraid / Step out of line
  The Man come to take you away'' -- Jefferson Airplane

Archive-Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 17:24:26 +0200
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 17:24:53 +0200 (CEST)
From: "Gotfryd Smolik, VMS lists" <gotfryd@stanpol.com.pl>
To: Richard Banks <rbanks@arel.com.au>
CC: Free-VMS@lp.se
Subject: Re: Is anything happening?

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Richard Banks wrote:
[...]
+ feel free to flame me if this is out of line....

 No, I will only flame for long text lines in your mail !
 But not bother over this -:)

[...]
+Should I believe that everyone has given up and moved onto other things?

 To the personal-free VMS license ??

 Regards - Gotfryd

$ ON F$ERROR("LANGUAGE","ENGLISH","IN_MESSAGE").GT.F$ERROR("NORMAL") -
		THEN EXCUSE/OBJECT=ME
$!                        GS@stanpol.zabrze.pl

Archive-Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 20:05:55 +0200
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 14:06:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: James King <jaking@acsu.buffalo.edu>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
Subject: Re: your mail

The only real problem I saw was this: nobody was in a clear leadership
role. There was a lot of discussion about what to do but nobody ever
stepped in to say, "this is the plan. start coding."

James

Archive-Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:04:51 +0200
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:02:18 +0100
From: Roy Omond <Roy.Omond@ebi.ac.uk>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se

>OK, I'm a lurker, just keeping an eye on what's been happening so feel
>free to flame me if this is out of line....

>I see the web site hasn't been updated in over a year and I haven't seen
>a peep out of the mailing list for months.

>Should I believe that everyone has given up and moved onto other things?

My opinion is that the recently announced microVAX emulator pretty much
takes away the need (see http://www.charon-vax.com (?)).

Shame really ...

Roy Omond
Blue Bubble Ltd.
Archive-Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:07:32 +0200
Sender: john
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:08:12 -0500
From: "John C. Ellingboe" <john@guntersville.net>
To: Free-VMS@lp.se

Roy Omond wrote:

> >OK, I'm a lurker, just keeping an eye on what's been happening so feel
> >free to flame me if this is out of line....
>
> >I see the web site hasn't been updated in over a year and I haven't seen
> >a peep out of the mailing list for months.
>
> >Should I believe that everyone has given up and moved onto other things?
>
> My opinion is that the recently announced microVAX emulator pretty much
> takes away the need (see http://www.charon-vax.com (?)).
>
> Shame really ...
>
> Roy Omond
> Blue Bubble Ltd.

You will still need an operating system with charon-vax.  It is just
what it says, a VAX emulator which is hardware emulation.

--
John C. Ellingboe  -  KE4BPW
www.guntersville.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 17:54:57 -0500
To: Free-VMS@lp.se
From: "David J. Dachtera" <djesys@earthlink.net>

At 01:02 PM 06/12/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>>OK, I'm a lurker, just keeping an eye on what's been happening so feel
>>free to flame me if this is out of line....
>
>>I see the web site hasn't been updated in over a year and I haven't seen
>>a peep out of the mailing list for months.
>
>>Should I believe that everyone has given up and moved onto other things?
>
>My opinion is that the recently announced microVAX emulator pretty much
>takes away the need (see http://www.charon-vax.com (?)).

Well, not quite - there's still that darned affordability issue that won't
go away...

David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems
http://home.earthlink.net/~djesys/

Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page and Message Board:
http://home.earthlink.net/~djesys/vms/soho/