G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: levitte programming

Archive-Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:48:24 +0200
Date: Thu,  2 Jul 1998 11:48:04 +0200
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
To: discuss@free.lp.se
CC: VMS-SSH@alpha.sggw.waw.pl, ByerRA@aol.com
Subject: Small change suggestions with SSLeay 0.8.1...

In the VMS-SSH list, there's been a small discussion about the pletora of
names that exist for the crypto library.  I've seen names like
crypto-axp.olb, ssleay-axp.olb and libssleay.olb.

I've done some thinking about the naming of that library, and come to the
conclusion that having the architecture in the library name is complete
silliness.  Especially since my distribution is supposed to be installed
(not with VMSINSTAL, but still), and gets a well defined set of logical
names, the logical name SSLLIB (that points to the directory where the
libraries are placed) can be used to hide the architecture dependence,
just as is already done with SSLEXE.

So, this way, the library names are shortened to CRYPTO.OLB and SSL.OLB.
Now, someone might want to have his own copies somewhere else, and point
to them with logical names.  The convention says that those logical names
should have the same name as the library, which gives CRYPTO and SSL.
Unfortunately, those names are a BAD IDEA, because they will for sure
clash with something out there, they're just asking for it...

So, to resolve the possible clash problem, a rename is required.  Two
ideas come to mind:

  - the Unix naming scheme, by prepending LIB to the name:

	LIBCRYPTO.OLB, LIBSSL.OLB

    this has apparently been done by some incarnation of this library
    (sorry, I can't tell which one).

  - the VMS naming scheme (or at least what I've seen of it), which
    perhaps is not entirely appropriate, you tell me:

	CRYPTORTL.OLB, SSLRTL.OLB

(for those who didn't quite catch on, those names would also mean that
logical names that point directly to the library files would be
LIBCRYPTO, LIBSSL or CRYPTORTL, SSLRTL)

Comments, ideas?

(A comment is that Erik Young used CRYPTO-xxx.OLB and the like on VMS,
and libcrypto.a and the like on Unix)

--
R Levitte, Levitte Programming;  Spannv. 38, I;  S-168 35  Bromma;  SWEDEN
      Tel: +46-8-26 52 47;  Cel: +46-708-20 09 64;  No fax right now

          "price, performance, quality.  Choose any two you like"
Archive-Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 20:56:03 +0200
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 20:55:55 +0200
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
To: VMS-SSH@alpha.sggw.waw.pl, discuss@free.lp.se
Subject: UCX patches for FISH...

Some time ago (like, several months, I think), someone sent me patches to
make FISH work directly with UCX, in case NETLIB would and could not be
present.  Unfortunatelly, I didn't have to apply them back then, and now
that I do, and actually need them myself, I can't find them.

So, if that was anyone here, could you please resend those patches, so
that I may apply them immediatelly?