G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: levitte programming

Archive-Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:43:22 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:43:13 -0500 (CDT)
From: HTTPD@WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
Subject: Excellent.
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

Thank you, Richard. Quick work!

Archive-Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:45:44 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:45:41 +0200
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se
Subject: Re: Excellent.

   From: HTTPD@WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU

   Thank you, Richard. Quick work!

I aim to help...  At least when I've got an interest in it :-).

--
R Levitte, Levitte Programming;  Spannv. 38, I;  S-161 43  Bromma;  SWEDEN
      Tel: +46-8-26 52 47;  Cel: +46-10-222 64 05;  No fax right now
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 18:01:10 EDT
From: reed@forge.iron.net
To: PWDCHG@lp.se
Subject: Suggestions, my inputs

Here are my suggestions.

1) Have one program that takes input, probably from a form.
   This input would be username, old password, and new password.

2) This program validates the user first, and only makes the
   change if the user validates.

3) Although not required, for simplicity, have the program
   be a CGI one, so it can interface directly with the server
   and form.

4) As far as security, offhand I don't see any more of an issue
   than telnetting in and changing it.  If you get SSL going,
   then that will be a plus, and shouldn't affect the program.

5) The program should be such that auditing/breakin is used.

I have a program (from Arne I believe) that changes the password.
I also should have a function, or most of it, that will validate
a password.  I just haven't put them together, and I'm not all
that familiar with UAF calls, and hashing.

-------------
Brian D. Reed
reed@iron.net
Archive-Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 01:42:26 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 18:42:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: HTTPD@WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
Subject: Re: Suggestions, my inputs
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

reed@forge.iron.net said:

> Here are my suggestions.
>  [snip good stuff]

> I have a program (from Arne I believe) that changes the password.
> I also should have a function, or most of it, that will validate
> a password.  I just haven't put them together, and I'm not all
> that familiar with UAF calls, and hashing.

	It's beyond me as well, but I have an excellent chunk of
	relevant uaf validation written for us for our TACACS server
	by Aaron Leonard, of TGV. (We paid for it,was later released as
	freeware by TGV.)  It's C code.  Does anyone want to
	use it as a base for our project?

Archive-Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 03:42:57 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 03:42:54 +0200
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

   From: HTTPD@WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU

	   It's beyond me as well, but I have an excellent chunk of
	   relevant uaf validation written for us for our TACACS server
	   by Aaron Leonard, of TGV. (We paid for it,was later released as
	   freeware by TGV.)  It's C code.  Does anyone want to
	   use it as a base for our project?

I'm ready to offer some space on my FTP server for code like that.

I must say I'm a little confused, because as said someone else, this
thing isn't that hard to do.  It just takes a CGI program.  The program
has to be installed with privs, and thus has to be very secure or we
could all have problems with our users, but that's pretty simple to
handle.

Now, the message that started this all talked about encryption and extra
programs, and a lot of people were interested in that.  I've mailed to
him and invited him explicitelly to join this list, but he hasn't
responded to me, nor has he subscribed yet...  His solution seems more
secure, and more complicated in a way.  I for one would like to know more
about his scheme.  On the other hand, SSL solves a lot in this area...

--
R Levitte, Levitte Programming;  Spannv. 38, I;  S-161 43  Bromma;  SWEDEN
      Tel: +46-8-26 52 47;  Cel: +46-10-222 64 05;  No fax right now
  PGP key fingerprint = A6 96 C0 34 3A 96 AA 6C  B0 D5 9A DF D2 E9 9C 65
   Check http://www.lp.se/~levitte for my public key.   bastard@bofh.se
Archive-Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:21:55 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:21:47 -0500 (CDT)
From: HTTPD@WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

>I must say I'm a little confused, because as said someone else, this
>thing isn't that hard to do.  It just takes a CGI program.  The program
>has to be installed with privs, and thus has to be very secure or we
>could all have problems with our users, but that's pretty simple to
>handle.

	Well, it is difficult enough to do _properly_ that even
	Aaron had several goes at it over the years he was
	writing TACACS validation. I'll put his code on our
	anonymous ftp server:

		ftp:  vax2.winona.msus.edu
		user: anonymous

	look in the [.vms.tacacs] directory.

Archive-Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 16:02:33 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
From: thomasgd@omc.bt.co.uk (Greg Thomas)
To: PWDCHG@lp.se
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:02:16 GMT

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:21:47 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>I must say I'm a little confused, because as said someone else, this
>thing isn't that hard to do.  It just takes a CGI program.  The program
>has to be installed with privs,=20

Not necessarily. It's easy to validate a password without priv's - I
do so with a hack of the CEL_AUTHENTICATOR. Use=20
fopen() on a file along the lines of=20
0"<username> <password>"::DEVICE:[DIR]PUBLIC_FILE.DAT
So long as the user has DECnet access, you are OK. Of course, once
you've got the password, you can change it to the new one.

Greg
Archive-Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 16:13:38 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 16:13:35 +0200
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

   From: thomasgd@omc.bt.co.uk (Greg Thomas)

   Not necessarily. It's easy to validate a password without priv's - I
   do so with a hack of the CEL_AUTHENTICATOR.

Ahem, CEL_AUTHENTICATOR is usually installed with SYSPRV.  It won't work
on rules that require $GETUAI otherwise...

   Use fopen() on a file along the lines of
   0"<username> <password>"::DEVICE:[DIR]PUBLIC_FILE.DAT
   So long as the user has DECnet access, you are OK. Of course, once
   you've got the password, you can change it to the new one.

I'm not quite following...

--
R Levitte, Levitte Programming;  Spannv. 38, I;  S-161 43  Bromma;  SWEDEN
      Tel: +46-8-26 52 47;  Cel: +46-10-222 64 05;  No fax right now
  PGP key fingerprint = A6 96 C0 34 3A 96 AA 6C  B0 D5 9A DF D2 E9 9C 65
   Check http://www.lp.se/~levitte for my public key.   bastard@bofh.se
Archive-Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:51:29 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
From: thomasgd@omc.bt.co.uk (Greg Thomas)
To: PWDCHG@lp.se
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:51:16 GMT

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 16:13:35 +0200, you wrote:

>   From: thomasgd@omc.bt.co.uk (Greg Thomas)
>
>   Not necessarily. It's easy to validate a password without priv's - I
>   do so with a hack of the CEL_AUTHENTICATOR.
>
>Ahem, CEL_AUTHENTICATOR is usually installed with SYSPRV.  It won't work
>on rules that require $GETUAI otherwise...

I did say a 'hack' of the CEL_AUTHENTICATOR. I wasn;t allowed to
install it with SYSPRV (or couldn't be bothered with the hassle of
getting permission of it).

>   Use fopen() on a file along the lines of=20
>   0"<username> <password>"::DEVICE:[DIR]PUBLIC_FILE.DAT
>
>I'm not quite following...

CEL_AUTHENTICATOR gets the username and password from the user via his
browser. The original verified it using $GETUAI, but I couldn't (see
above). Therefore I find out if the username/password combination is
correct by doing an fopen() on the above file, using the supplied
username and password. The file has public read access. If the fopen()
works, close the file, and signal correct password. If it failed,
signal wrong password.

Advantages:
No special priv's required
Raises and is affected by suspect/intruder alarms *unlike*
CEL_AUTHENTICATOR

Disadvantages:
Users must have DECnet access
It's slower. It'd be useless with many protected pages unless
CEL_AUTHENTICATOR used password caching.

Greg
Archive-Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 22:55:18 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:59:44 -0500
From: David Bratton <SAPSADEB@UHSFIN.UHSA.UH.EDU>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

>CEL_AUTHENTICATOR gets the username and password from the user via his
>browser. The original verified it using $GETUAI, but I couldn't (see
>above). Therefore I find out if the username/password combination is
>correct by doing an fopen() on the above file, using the supplied
>username and password. The file has public read access. If the fopen()
>works, close the file, and signal correct password. If it failed,
>signal wrong password.
>
>Advantages:
>No special priv's required
>Raises and is affected by suspect/intruder alarms *unlike*
>CEL_AUTHENTICATOR
>
>Disadvantages:
>Users must have DECnet access
>It's slower. It'd be useless with many protected pages unless
>CEL_AUTHENTICATOR used password caching.

It will also increment the failed login attempt counter. CEL doesn't.
(At least in v1.9 it didn't)

David Bratton
University of Houston System                    THE BILL OF RIGHTS
DBratton@uh.edu                         ...void where prohibited by law
Archive-Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:12:21 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
From: thomasgd@omc.bt.co.uk (Greg Thomas)
To: PWDCHG@lp.se
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:12:03 GMT

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:59:44 -0500, you wrote:

>>Advantages:
>>No special priv's required
>>Raises and is affected by suspect/intruder alarms *unlike*
>>CEL_AUTHENTICATOR
>>
>>Disadvantages:
>>Users must have DECnet access
>>It's slower. It'd be useless with many protected pages unless
>>CEL_AUTHENTICATOR used password caching.
>>

>It will also increment the failed login attempt counter. CEL doesn't.
>(At least in v1.9 it didn't)

Err, see my second advantage!

Greg
Archive-Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 20:24:31 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:24:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: HTTPD@WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

	Has anyone come up with a web-based vms password changer?

	I have, but it is very simple and could be embellished.

	Basically, it uses RSHELL to reach the user's VMS system
	and invoke a password change procedure.  I'm adding
	a tiny bit of "almost adequate privacy" :) to the
	code tomorrow. If it looks pretty good, I'll pass
	it along if you would be so kind as to pretty it up.

	Still interested in your code and ideas...

Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 01:44:06 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 01:44:00 +0200
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

   From: HTTPD@WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU

	   Basically, it uses RSHELL to reach the user's VMS system
	   and invoke a password change procedure.  I'm adding
	   a tiny bit of "almost adequate privacy" :) to the

Does that mean encryption, so I don't have to shout my password in the
net?  That's probably the biggest problem at hand, 'til I've finished the
SSH server.

--
R Levitte, Levitte Programming;  Spannv. 38, I;  S-161 43  Bromma;  SWEDEN
      Tel: +46-8-26 52 47;  Cel: +46-10-222 64 05;  No fax right now
  PGP key fingerprint = A6 96 C0 34 3A 96 AA 6C  B0 D5 9A DF D2 E9 9C 65
   Check http://www.lp.se/~levitte for my public key.   bastard@bofh.se
Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:04:43 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:04:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gandalf the Grey <SYSBRC@cnsvax.albany.edu>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

Admittedly I have not read the documents on secure forms and commerace
ready servers/browsers ... this issue is still a bit of a mystery to me.

Assuming that an encrypted password (rather than a clear text password)
is being transfered from client to server, what prevents someone from
(snooping the net and) decrypting the password? [Since password may be
being set for multiple platforms I had the impression that you where not
encrypting the password on the client and storing the (already) encripted
password directly in the various hosts authorization files (which would
require a client encryption of the password once for each end host where
the password was being updated or an account created).

Is there a version of PGP that is runnable by Java or some other client
based utility? Then all encryptions (for any given server) could be
performed fairly safely on the clients given only a single public key
that could be passed with or written into the applet.

[I know - a little stupid - I do really need to read up on the WEB security
 RFCs]

From: R Levitte,
>Does that mean encryption, so I don't have to shout my password in the
>net?  That's probably the biggest problem at hand, 'til I've finished the
>SSH server.
>   From: HTTPD@WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
>
>	   Basically, it uses RSHELL to reach the user's VMS system
>	   and invoke a password change procedure.  I'm adding
>	   a tiny bit of "almost adequate privacy" :) to the

 *===========================================================================*
 | Brian R Cuttler              |  phone   518-442-3906  fax  518-442-3697   |
 | VMS System Manager           |  email   sysbrc@cnsvax.albany.edu          |
 | State Univ of NY at Albany   |  url     http://www.albany.edu/~sysbrc     |
 *===========================================================================*
Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:13:52 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:13:19 +0200
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

   From: Gandalf the Grey <SYSBRC@cnsvax.albany.edu>

   Assuming that an encrypted password (rather than a clear text password)
   is being transfered from client to server, what prevents someone from
   (snooping the net and) decrypting the password? [Since password may be

You do as systems like SSH and Kerberos do.  You set up en encrypted
channel, using a randomly generated session key.  There's no way someone
will crack such a channel in the short time it takes to pass a password
through it.

PGP is also a solution.  Some friends of mine have given me accounts on
their machines, transfering the password with PGP...  It does work.

The optimal thing is to really use SSH or Kerberos.  I'm working on both
(it goes a little slowly, but forward).

--
R Levitte, Levitte Programming;  Spannv. 38, I;  S-161 43  Bromma;  SWEDEN
      Tel: +46-8-26 52 47;  Cel: +46-10-222 64 05;  No fax right now
  PGP key fingerprint = A6 96 C0 34 3A 96 AA 6C  B0 D5 9A DF D2 E9 9C 65
   Check http://www.lp.se/~levitte for my public key.   bastard@bofh.se
Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 17:13:50 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:13:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Robert Byer <byer@mail.all-net.net>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 17:32:30 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:18:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gandalf the Grey <SYSBRC@cnsvax.albany.edu>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

>From:	IN%"PWDCHG@lp.se" 19-JUN-1997 09:41:06.69
>To:	IN%"PWDCHG@lp.se"
>CC:
>Subj:	RE: Suggestions, my inputs

>Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:13:19 +0200
>From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
>Subject: Re: Suggestions, my inputs
>Sender: owner-PWDCHG@lp.se
>To: PWDCHG@lp.se
>
>   From: Gandalf the Grey <SYSBRC@cnsvax.albany.edu>
>
>   Assuming that an encrypted password (rather than a clear text password)
>   is being transfered from client to server, what prevents someone from
>   (snooping the net and) decrypting the password? [Since password may be
>
>You do as systems like SSH and Kerberos do.  You set up en encrypted
>channel, using a randomly generated session key.  There's no way someone
>will crack such a channel in the short time it takes to pass a password
>through it.
>
>PGP is also a solution.  Some friends of mine have given me accounts on
>their machines, transfering the password with PGP...  It does work.
>
>The optimal thing is to really use SSH or Kerberos.  I'm working on both
>(it goes a little slowly, but forward).
>
>--
>R Levitte, Levitte Programming;  Spannv. 38, I;  S-161 43  Bromma;  SWEDEN
>      Tel: +46-8-26 52 47;  Cel: +46-10-222 64 05;  No fax right now
>  PGP key fingerprint = A6 96 C0 34 3A 96 AA 6C  B0 D5 9A DF D2 E9 9C 65
>   Check http://www.lp.se/~levitte for my public key.   bastard@bofh.se

SSH sounds like a possible solution then - providing that passwords are
changed after they are (re)set (the thought being that if you have an
encripted password you can always crack it later - you don't need to crack
it now as you are not trying to steal or spy on a session).

Of course since passwords tend to travel unencripted over the internet
anyway it may not make all that much difference - depending on your
environment and required security level (the thing that gets me is
credit card numbers - they are usually good for many years, lots of
time for someone to crack an item with an encripted credit card number,
but beyond the scope of this forum and I do not mean to side track it).

 *===========================================================================*
 | Brian R Cuttler              |  phone   518-442-3906  fax  518-442-3697   |
 | VMS System Manager           |  email   sysbrc@cnsvax.albany.edu          |
 | State Univ of NY at Albany   |  url     http://www.albany.edu/~sysbrc     |
 *===========================================================================*
Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 18:05:34 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
From: J Harper <jharper@wsipc.wednet.edu>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:05:00 -0700

> From: Robert Byer
> To: PWDCHG@lp.se
> Subject: Re: Suggestions, my inputs
> Date: Thursday, June 19, 1997 7:13AM
>
> As I recall I believe that their is a piece of Java code called
"LivePGP"
> that allows one to to PGP encoding of various things using java.
> I haven't messed with it, just remember seeing it mentioned in the pgp
> news groups.  I'll see if I have a copy around somewhere but I believe
it
> is available on the net.

Sun has something called the Java Cryptography Extension under
"Downloads" on www.javasoft.com.  I took a look at the API and it looks
like it may be useful and not too complicated.  Been a while since I
programmed in Java.  Seems like we would have to have Server side Java
to generate the public and private keys though, but this is supposed to
come for VMS soon.

> My suggestions for transfering a secure password would be to use SSL
or
> the SSLeay compiled into OSU as one, you wouldn't need any an extra
module
> for the encryption of the password as it travles across the wide
expanse of
> the internet and two just about most WEB browsers support SSL in some
for
> or another.

Good point.  It would avoid the download of an applet, etc.  But doesn't
using SSL require paying for a certificate, etc?  We have 20+ web
servers and that may get expensive...

	J Harper
	Washington School Information Processing Coop.
	jharper@wsipc.wednet.edu
Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 19:20:12 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:19:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: HTTPD@WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

>Does that mean encryption, so I don't have to shout my password in the
>net?  That's probably the biggest problem at hand, 'til I've finished the
>SSH server.

	Yes. I've named it PLE, or Pretty Lousy Encryption.
	Security through obscurity. I'm not happy with
	it, but it will have to do.

Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 19:21:56 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:21:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: HTTPD@WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

>Assuming that an encrypted password (rather than a clear text password)
>is being transfered from client to server, what prevents someone from
>(snooping the net and) decrypting the password?

	The only thing that prevents them, assuming they can tell
it is a username/password (and that's quite difficult) is the
strength of the encryption.

Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 20:04:11 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 14:02:40 -0500 (EST)
From: "Jeffrey M. Hatala" <HATALA_J@sunybroome.edu>
Subject: Have I missed something?
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

Hello Everyone,
	One of the first posts that made me excited was Jo's reply to
Brunetta's request.  Alan followed with a "thumbs up" to the whole idea and
questioned further....(those are the three posts below)
.... Then a tun of posts back and forth and the interested parties ended
up here.  The last thing I knew, Jo was headed to DevCon and nobody could make
to further discuss their procedures.  The fact that Jo is on a .gov
account, and I have no problem with that, but I do feel there may be a
sensitivity/security issue here, in regards to what they can give out.

It seems to me that Jo's system is already passing pwds from Win95 to
NT, VMS, and unix while using a http interface. This sounds good to me!
Can we build onto this model instead of starting from scatch.

Am I missing some here... I need some more java, AHHHH I mean hot chocolate:)
Can we go back to Alan's post and have Jo answer his questions and maybe
catapult this project into a quick beta program?
Best regards to everyone,
Jeff

<
<From: -- Alan
<Alan Winston --- WINSTON@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
<
<Is there any chance of this stuff being made available in the public domain?
<It sounds as though it could be enormously useful, and it's obviously a
<very big job to try to do ourselves.
<
<[The original poster just wanted to do VMS passwords, I think, but something
<that synchs Unix, Windows, and VMS passwords would be pretty durn useful.]
<
<Will it break with each new Windows release?  Samba authentication apparently
<has problems with that.
<

Jeffrey M. Hatala, Broome Community College - Systems Analyst - C.R.
                   Upper Front Street      | Binghamton, NY, USA 13905
Internet:    HATALA_J@mail.sunybroome.edu  | SUNYnet: sbccab::hatala_j
VOICE:       607-778-5011                  | FAX:     607-778-5119
Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 20:25:14 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 13:23:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Robert Byer <byer@mail.all-net.net>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

Archive-Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:21:57 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 13:19:26 -0700
From: "Jo, Clifford" <jo_cl@leg.wa.gov>
Subject: RE: Have I missed something?
To: "'PWDCHG@lp.se'" <PWDCHG@lp.se>

Sorry to all that I haven't responded; I got back from DevCon and have
been spending a lot of time catching up.  In order to protect the
security and integrity of the system, I can't reveal much let alone show
the code for the various aspects of the system.  I can say that it isn't
rocket science but it will require some time to put together the various
components to create a cohesive authenticating system: we have concluded
that there is no quick fix or magic bullet for security-based systems.
We aren't entirely pleased with the system since it could be construed
to be a hodge-podge of a variety of tools but from the end user's point
of view it works.

The key is either finding or developing encryption and decryption
software.  The encryption software resides on the PC and is integrated
into the Windows Password tool as a .DLL.  The decryption software
resides on VMS/UNIX and can be called from the HTTP server.  A key must
be compatible between the PC and the host systems.  You should be able
to find/build encrypt/decrypt software from various works that are
published in the ACM.  I have also seen such code in graduate college
text books.  You should be able to find a few on the Web as well.  In
any event, make sure that you have the source code and that the programs
absolutely rely on a user-specified key that isn't sent along with the
data down the pipe.  The disclaimer is, of course, that nothing is
secure and that security is matter of mindset: to what extent is you and
your organization comfortable with?

>----------

Archive-Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:36:20 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:36:10 +0200
From: fk64@bfkvax.fm.bs.dlr.de
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

> >> My suggestions for transfering a secure password would be to use SSL
> >or
> >> the SSLeay compiled into OSU as one, you wouldn't need any an extra
> >module
> >> for the encryption of the password as it travles across the wide
> >expanse of
> >> the internet and two just about most WEB browsers support SSL in some
> >for
> >> or another.
> >
> >Good point.  It would avoid the download of an applet, etc.  But doesn't
> >using SSL require paying for a certificate, etc?  We have 20+ web
> >servers and that may get expensive...
> >

> Not really.  SSLeay has utilities for creating your own certificate, the
> only draw back is that when you go to access a secure page with your
> own signed certificate, Netscape will ask you about downloading the
> certificate and if you trust it as it wasn't signed by Versign or one
> of the others.
>
> I do rember seeing a Java program to generate and sign your own SSL
> certificates on the net and I think I still have a copy somewhere.  It
> worked pretty well.
>
> If you can live with NOT having a Versign signed SSL certificate like
> we do, SSLeay is the way to go as you can set up an SSL server without
> having to pay one dime.

I could live very easily without a Versign signed certificate.

Do the OpenVMS version of the Mosaic browser and the text mode browser Lynx
support SSL?

Michael Zoellner
German Aerospace Research Establishment (DLR)
Institute of Flight Mechanics                Tel.   (+49) 531 / 295-2686
Postoffice Box 3267                          Fax    (+49) 531 / 295-2647
D-38022 Braunschweig                         eMail  Michael.Zoellner@dlr.de
Germany
Archive-Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 23:49:40 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:43:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gandalf the Grey <SYSBRC@cnsvax.albany.edu>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se

>From:	IN%"PWDCHG@lp.se" 19-JUN-1997 12:23:28.73
>To:	IN%"PWDCHG@lp.se"
>CC:
>Subj:	RE: Suggestions, my inputs

>Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:05:00 -0700
>From: J Harper <jharper@wsipc.wednet.edu>
>Subject: Re: Suggestions, my inputs
>Sender: owner-PWDCHG@lp.se
>To: PWDCHG@lp.se
>
>> From: Robert Byer
>> To: PWDCHG@lp.se
>> Subject: Re: Suggestions, my inputs
>> Date: Thursday, June 19, 1997 7:13AM
>>
>> As I recall I believe that their is a piece of Java code called
>"LivePGP"
>> that allows one to to PGP encoding of various things using java.
>> I haven't messed with it, just remember seeing it mentioned in the pgp
>> news groups.  I'll see if I have a copy around somewhere but I believe
>it
>> is available on the net.
>
>Sun has something called the Java Cryptography Extension under
>"Downloads" on www.javasoft.com.  I took a look at the API and it looks
>like it may be useful and not too complicated.  Been a while since I
>programmed in Java.  Seems like we would have to have Server side Java
>to generate the public and private keys though, but this is supposed to
>come for VMS soon.
>
>> My suggestions for transfering a secure password would be to use SSL
>or
>> the SSLeay compiled into OSU as one, you wouldn't need any an extra
>module
>> for the encryption of the password as it travles across the wide
>expanse of
>> the internet and two just about most WEB browsers support SSL in some
>for
>> or another.
>
>Good point.  It would avoid the download of an applet, etc.  But doesn't
>using SSL require paying for a certificate, etc?  We have 20+ web
>servers and that may get expensive...
>
>	J Harper
>	Washington School Information Processing Coop.
>	jharper@wsipc.wednet.edu

FYI: PGP runs under VMS now, and I don't really think there would be a
     need to generate "new" keys. One pair should be enough as you can
     use the same public key for all password requests.

 | Brian R Cuttler              |  phone   518-442-3906  fax  518-442-3697   |
 | VMS System Manager           |  email   sysbrc@cnsvax.albany.edu          |
 | State Univ of NY at Albany   |  url     http://www.albany.edu/~sysbrc     |
Archive-Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 02:24:23 +0200
Sender: <owner-PWDCHG@lp.se>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:25:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Robert Byer <byer@mail.all-net.net>
To: PWDCHG@lp.se