G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: levitte programming

Archive-Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 20:26:22 +0100
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 20:25:50 +0100
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org
Subject: test

I appologise for the inconvenience.  Please ignore.

--
R Levitte, Levitte Programming;  Spannv. 38, I;  S-168 35  Bromma;  SWEDEN
      Tel: +46-8-26 52 47;  Cel: +46-708-20 09 64;  No fax right now

          "price, performance, quality.  Choose any two you like"
Archive-Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:13:29 +0100
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:10:27 +0100 (MET)
From: Monscheuer@t-online.de
Subject: Mosaic tag support...
To: vms-mosaic@hhs.dk
CC: MONSCHEUER@T-Online.de

The other day Jonathan S. Boswell replied:

> >Is it planned for Mosaic to support the FONT tags ?
>
> Oh, argh!  That's the *last* tag that I would want around here.  One of the
> principal reasons I still use XMosaic is because it *doesn't* honor that
> obscene tag. [...]
>
> If George is thinking of getting ambitious with new XMosaic development
> (supporting new tags), I'd lobby for cleverly supporting frames via cloning
> new windows.  That way, you can (1) see framed pages and (2) still bookmark
> the relevant page while (3) avoiding the worthless logos and banner ads by
> dismissing the windows you don't want, all while (4) requiring minimal changes
> to the source code.

There's not much to add on my part, I strongly do agree with Jonathan.

> I'd also like an option to unwind tables into columnar lists.
> [reasons]

And again. Yes, most of what authors consider to be tables do prevent me
from real work, too. So changing this stuff into something more "comfortable"
would be a plus. But at present it's not as important as getting frame
support to work. The latter seems to be of vital evidence these days.
Some days ago I tried to visit 7 sites. Four of these required frame support
and my screen stayed empty...

Regards !
  Michael
     @ @ @ O O o o . . . _____________________ ___________=======_T____
   @      _____          |Michael Monscheuer | |phone  +49 4122  8083 |
 .][__n_n_|DD[  ====____ |Stadtkoppelweg 1   | |fax    +49 4122 82637 |
>(________|__|_[_______]_|D-25436 Moorrege___|_|Monscheuer@T-Online.de|
_/oo  OOOO oo`  ooo ooo  'o^o^o         o^o^o` 'o^o^o            o^o^o`
=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=

   This message brought to you from an entirely Micro$oft free system.
Archive-Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 03:13:51 +0100
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 18:13:44 PST
From: "Fred W. Bach, TRIUMF Operations" <music@triumf.ca>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org
CC: music@triumf.ca
Subject: RE: Mosaic tag support...

>Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:10:27 +0100 (MET)
>From: Monscheuer@t-online.de
>Subject: Mosaic tag support...
>To: vms-mosaic@hhs.dk
>

>> I'd also like an option to unwind tables into columnar lists.
>> [reasons]
>
>And again. Yes, most of what authors consider to be tables do prevent me
>from real work, too. So changing this stuff into something more "comfortable"
>would be a plus. But at present it's not as important as getting frame
>support to work. The latter seems to be of vital evidence these days.
>Some days ago I tried to visit 7 sites. Four of these required frame support
>and my screen stayed empty...
>
>Regards !
>  Michael

   There is a huge "no-frames" movement out there.  Somewhere I have a
   bunch of bookmarks on these anti-frame sites.  You can find them
   with an altavista search.  I 'forced' one local radio station here
   to put up a no-frames version.  Have a look at http://www.cknw.com .
   I find ya just gotta complain to these frames-only web maintainers.
   Have a list of browsers with which  they must test their sites.
   Remember to complain complain complain.  Otherwise they *will*
   ignore you and the frames people will just take over.

>     @ @ @ O O o o . . . _____________________ ___________=======_T____
>   @      _____          |Michael Monscheuer | |phone  +49 4122  8083 |
> .][__n_n_|DD[  ====____ |Stadtkoppelweg 1   | |fax    +49 4122 82637 |
>>(________|__|_[_______]_|D-25436 Moorrege___|_|Monscheuer@T-Online.de|
>_/oo  OOOO oo`  ooo ooo  'o^o^o         o^o^o` 'o^o^o            o^o^o`
>=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=
>
>   This message brought to you from an entirely Micro$oft free system.

   Here's a little humour:

   So, you got your system free from Micro$oft?  Compound adjectives
   are usually hyphenated.  The bright boys here at City Hall put up a
   sign some time ago that said "Vancouver is a nuclear free zone"
   because they didn't want the US Nuclear weapons to travel through
   Vancouver harbours.  Sounds reasonable.  Now of course most of us
   are accustomed to "free zones" where special enterprises go on and
   where taxes are greatly reduced.  Hong Kong used to be an example.
   That kind of "free zone" would appear to be what the City Fathers
   said in their sign.  Of course what they really meant was
   "nuclear-free" and not "nuclear free".  What a whale of a difference!

   I don't have to tell programmers the importance of accuracy.  See my
   sig.

   Thanks for the laugh.

 Fred W. Bach ,    Operations Group        | Internet: music@triumf.ca
 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    | Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 6327/7333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            | FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
 "Accuracy is important. Details can mean the difference between life & death."
  *** My son asks if Dean Johnson is the 'James Bond' of home improvement. ***
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.
Archive-Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 19:53:27 +0100
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 19:23:55 +0100 (MET)
To: vms-mosaic@levitte.org
CC: MONSCHEUER@T-Online.de
From: Monscheuer@t-online.de

I wrote:

> >[...] But at present it's not as important as getting frame support to
> >work. The latter seems to be of vital evidence these days. Some days
> >ago I tried to visit 7 sites. Four of these required frame support
> >and my screen stayed empty...

Fred Bach adds:

>    There is a huge "no-frames" movement out there.  Somewhere I have a
>    bunch of bookmarks on these anti-frame sites.  You can find them
>    with an altavista search.  I 'forced' one local radio station here
>    to put up a no-frames version.  Have a look at http://www.cknw.com .
>    I find ya just gotta complain to these frames-only web maintainers.
>    Have a list of browsers with which  they must test their sites.
>    Remember to complain complain complain.  Otherwise they *will*
>    ignore you and the frames people will just take over.

Basically you are right, from several points of view.
But I'm afraid we won't be able to rewind history and start the game
again avoiding all these mistakes. I clearly can remember the times
when the <center> tag was considered to be a bad NetScapism. Does anybody
still care about this tag nowadays ? Has it become a de facto standard ?
I suppose this will happen to frames as well - be it good, bad, or ugly.
Even in our IntraNet at work everything is based upon frames as soon as
it's getting really graphical (W3.1/95, NS2.02/4.x, Slowlaris 2.x).
How many VMS MOSAIC users are there in total ? How many IE and NS users
are out there ? Compare these numbers and I think it's clear which side
will have to assimilate (no matter which of the sides is considered to
be the evil Borg ;-). Most of the people we will complain to about the
frame stuff won't see the technical issue but the number of people being
able to browse their sites. Please correct me if I'm completely wrong.

-mm
     @ @ @ O O o o . . . _____________________ ___________=======_T____
   @      _____          |Michael Monscheuer | |phone  +49 4122  8083 |
 .][__n_n_|DD[  ====____ |Stadtkoppelweg 1   | |fax    +49 4122 82637 |
>(________|__|_[_______]_|D-25436 Moorrege___|_|Monscheuer@T-Online.de|
_/oo  OOOO oo`  ooo ooo  'o^o^o         o^o^o` 'o^o^o            o^o^o`
=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=

   This message brought to you from an entirely Micro$oft free system.
Archive-Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 20:16:02 +0100
To: <vms-mosaic@levitte.org>
From: Monscheuer@t-online.de
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 19:23:55 +0100 (MET)
CC: MONSCHEUER@T-Online.de

I wrote:

> >[...] But at present it's not as important as getting frame support to
> >work. The latter seems to be of vital evidence these days. Some days
> >ago I tried to visit 7 sites. Four of these required frame support
> >and my screen stayed empty...

Fred Bach adds:

>    There is a huge "no-frames" movement out there.  Somewhere I have a
>    bunch of bookmarks on these anti-frame sites.  You can find them
>    with an altavista search.  I 'forced' one local radio station here
>    to put up a no-frames version.  Have a look at http://www.cknw.com .
>    I find ya just gotta complain to these frames-only web maintainers.
>    Have a list of browsers with which  they must test their sites.
>    Remember to complain complain complain.  Otherwise they *will*
>    ignore you and the frames people will just take over.

Basically you are right, from several points of view.
But I'm afraid we won't be able to rewind history and start the game
again avoiding all these mistakes. I clearly can remember the times
when the <center> tag was considered to be a bad NetScapism. Does anybody
still care about this tag nowadays ? Has it become a de facto standard ?
I suppose this will happen to frames as well - be it good, bad, or ugly.
Even in our IntraNet at work everything is based upon frames as soon as
it's getting really graphical (W3.1/95, NS2.02/4.x, Slowlaris 2.x).
How many VMS MOSAIC users are there in total ? How many IE and NS users
are out there ? Compare these numbers and I think it's clear which side
will have to assimilate (no matter which of the sides is considered to
be the evil Borg ;-). Most of the people we will complain to about the
frame stuff won't see the technical issue but the number of people being
able to browse their sites. Please correct me if I'm completely wrong.

-mm
     @ @ @ O O o o . . . _____________________ ___________=======_T____
   @      _____          |Michael Monscheuer | |phone  +49 4122  8083 |
 .][__n_n_|DD[  ====____ |Stadtkoppelweg 1   | |fax    +49 4122 82637 |
>(________|__|_[_______]_|D-25436 Moorrege___|_|Monscheuer@T-Online.de|
_/oo  OOOO oo`  ooo ooo  'o^o^o         o^o^o` 'o^o^o            o^o^o`
=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=

   This message brought to you from an entirely Micro$oft free system.
Archive-Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:26:46 +0100
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:29:33 +0200
From: Arne Vajhoej <ARNE@ko.hhs.dk>
To: Monscheuer@t-online.de
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

> >    There is a huge "no-frames" movement out there.  Somewhere I have a
> >    bunch of bookmarks on these anti-frame sites.  You can find them
> >    with an altavista search.  I 'forced' one local radio station here
> >    to put up a no-frames version.  Have a look at http://www.cknw.com .
> >    I find ya just gotta complain to these frames-only web maintainers.
> >    Have a list of browsers with which  they must test their sites.
> >    Remember to complain complain complain.  Otherwise they *will*
> >    ignore you and the frames people will just take over.

> Basically you are right, from several points of view.
> But I'm afraid we won't be able to rewind history and start the game
> again avoiding all these mistakes. I clearly can remember the times
> when the <center> tag was considered to be a bad NetScapism. Does anybody
> still care about this tag nowadays ? Has it become a de facto standard ?

It is even an official standard now !

HTML V4.0 from W3C comes in 3 flavours - one of them with frames !

                                                          Arne

Arne Vajhøj                             local DECNET:  KAL13::ARNE
Computer Department                     PSI:           PSI%23831001354030::ARNE
Southern Denmark Business School        Internet:      ARNE@KO.HHS.DK
                WWW URL: http://www.hhs.dk/~arne/arne.html

Archive-Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:48:19 +0100
To: <vms-mosaic@levitte.org>
From: Arne Vajhoej <ARNE@ko.hhs.dk>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:29:33 +0200

> >    There is a huge "no-frames" movement out there.  Somewhere I have a
> >    bunch of bookmarks on these anti-frame sites.  You can find them
> >    with an altavista search.  I 'forced' one local radio station here
> >    to put up a no-frames version.  Have a look at http://www.cknw.com .
> >    I find ya just gotta complain to these frames-only web maintainers.
> >    Have a list of browsers with which  they must test their sites.
> >    Remember to complain complain complain.  Otherwise they *will*
> >    ignore you and the frames people will just take over.

> Basically you are right, from several points of view.
> But I'm afraid we won't be able to rewind history and start the game
> again avoiding all these mistakes. I clearly can remember the times
> when the <center> tag was considered to be a bad NetScapism. Does anybody
> still care about this tag nowadays ? Has it become a de facto standard ?

It is even an official standard now !

HTML V4.0 from W3C comes in 3 flavours - one of them with frames !

                                                          Arne

Arne Vajhøj                             local DECNET:  KAL13::ARNE
Computer Department                     PSI:           PSI%23831001354030::ARNE
Southern Denmark Business School        Internet:      ARNE@KO.HHS.DK
                WWW URL: http://www.hhs.dk/~arne/arne.html

Archive-Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:06:49 +0100
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:04:49 CET
From: Eberhard Heuser-Hofmann <vaxinf@chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org
CC: vaxinf@chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de
Subject: A little bit off topic: netscape-browser-source is out.

Dear Mosaic-users,

I've read that netscape has decided to provide the
source-code of the browser. Isn't it attraction for all
VMS-people to modify the netscape-program for our needs
or to merge parts into the mosaic-program. I think that
it would be nice, too, if netscape uses the netlib
interface in order to support other tcpip-stacks than
UCX.

regards
Eberhard

Dr. Eberhard Heuser-Hofmann
Univ. Konstanz
Fakultaet fuer Chemie
Universitaets-Strasse 10
D-78464 Konstanz
Germany
Phone: +49-7531-88-2026, FAX: +49-7531-88-3139
email: vaxinf@chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de

Archive-Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:26:51 +0100
To: <vms-mosaic@levitte.org>
From: Eberhard Heuser-Hofmann <vaxinf@chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:04:49 CET
CC: vaxinf@chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de

Dear Mosaic-users,

I've read that netscape has decided to provide the
source-code of the browser. Isn't it attraction for all
VMS-people to modify the netscape-program for our needs
or to merge parts into the mosaic-program. I think that
it would be nice, too, if netscape uses the netlib
interface in order to support other tcpip-stacks than
UCX.

regards
Eberhard

Dr. Eberhard Heuser-Hofmann
Univ. Konstanz
Fakultaet fuer Chemie
Universitaets-Strasse 10
D-78464 Konstanz
Germany
Phone: +49-7531-88-2026, FAX: +49-7531-88-3139
email: vaxinf@chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de

Archive-Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:03:00 +0100
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:05:43 +0200
From: Arne Vajhoej <ARNE@ko.hhs.dk>
To: vaxinf@chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

> I've read that netscape has decided to provide the
> source-code of the browser. Isn't it attraction for all
> VMS-people to modify the netscape-program for our needs
> or to merge parts into the mosaic-program. I think that
> it would be nice, too, if netscape uses the netlib
> interface in order to support other tcpip-stacks than
> UCX.

It sounds like a hoax. That NetScape should reveal all their
code for the comptetion to see.

But veen if it is true, then I I doubt that Mosaic will benefit much,
because the code is probably totally different.

But it would ofcourse be nice for the VMS world in general to be able
to improve NetScapes VMS support.

                                                          Arne

Arne Vajhøj                             local DECNET:  KAL13::ARNE
Computer Department                     PSI:           PSI%23831001354030::ARNE
Southern Denmark Business School        Internet:      ARNE@KO.HHS.DK
                WWW URL: http://www.hhs.dk/~arne/arne.html

Archive-Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:02:41 +0100
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 16:02:34 GMT
From: adye@v2.rl.ac.uk (Tim Adye: RAL x6632, Oxford x73396, CERN x2103)
To: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org

>> I've read that netscape has decided to provide the
>> source-code of the browser.
>
>It sounds like a hoax. That NetScape should reveal all their
>code for the comptetion to see.

I'd heard rumours that they were planning to make the browser free again
(as 1.12 had been). Given that, one would have thought that they could
have made the source code available. Nevertheless I was suprised to see
today that they really do plan to do this.

From http://home.netscape.com/communicator/free_faq.html#13 :-
>Netscape has announced that Communicator Standard Edition 5.0 source
>code will be freely available for modification and redistribution.
>Netscape believes that harnessing the creative abilities of all
>Internet developers will be an unprecedented way to advance the
>features and quality of Communicator for all customers. Detailed
>license terms, additional information, and a developer version of
>Communicator Standard Edition 5.0 source code is scheduled to be
>available by March 31, 1998, on the Netscape Web site.

I'm impressed! Netscape look like they're doing something worthwhile.

I hope this will only encourage George and others to continue VMS/Mosaic
development, perhaps borrowing ideas from the now ideologically sound
Netscape (though, probably borrowing code would be tricky, given the
fact - as I understand - that Netscape is built on top of Netscape ONE).
Mosaic does a number of important things better than Netscape and still
manages to come in at a quarter of the size.

Tim.

==============================  cut here  ==============================
Tim Adye, BaBar/DELPHI Groups, Particle Physics Dept.,     _   /|
          Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK.              \'o.O'   Oop!
e-mail:   T.J.Adye@rl.ac.uk or VXCERN::ADYE (HEPNET/SPAN)  =(___)=  Ack!
WWW:      http://hepwww.rl.ac.uk/Delphi/Adye/homepage.html    U  Thphft!
Archive-Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:05:38 +0100
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:35:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@sbchem.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org

> From:	SMTP%"VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org"
> To:	JLAURET
> CC:
> Subj:	Re: A little bit off topic: netscape-browser-source is out.
>
> > I've read that netscape has decided to provide the
> > source-code of the browser. Isn't it attraction for all
> > VMS-people to modify the netscape-program for our needs
> > or to merge parts into the mosaic-program. I think that
> > it would be nice, too, if netscape uses the netlib
> > interface in order to support other tcpip-stacks than
> > UCX.
>
> It sounds like a hoax. That NetScape should reveal all their
> code for the comptetion to see.
>
> But veen if it is true, then I I doubt that Mosaic will benefit much,
> because the code is probably totally different.
>
> But it would ofcourse be nice for the VMS world in general to be able
> to improve NetScapes VMS support.
>
>                                                           Arne

	I doubt it is a hoax. I saw that news as well in a news summary which
sources comes from Financial Times, Washington Post and Wall Street Journal ...
Netscape has annouced it but the problem is that we have to see if it will
be done or not and when ... I don't think we want to wait for it.

             ,,,,,
            ( o o )
         --m---U---m--
             Jerome

PS : Sorry, in French ...

> ** MICROSOFT ET NETSCAPE CEDENT
> Microsoft a accepté de fournir la toute dernière version de son système
> d'exploitation, Windows 95, sans le logiciel de navigation sur l'internet
> afférent, Internet Explorer. Après plusieurs semaines de ce que le WSJ
> qualifie d' " escarmouches avec le ministère de la Justice ", le premier
> éditeur de logiciel du monde accepte à la surprise générale la requête du
> juge Jackson. Le quotidien financier analyse en Une la stratégie de
> Microsoft. Ce serait, d'après le WSJ, une " colossale gaffe " que la
> résistance de Bill Gates à accepter de désolidariser les deux logiciels. Le
> revirement de situation pourrait être dû à la soudaine prise de conscience
> des stratèges de Microsoft de l'effet négatif de ce quel l'ensemble de la
> presse considère comme de l'arrogance. Pour corriger ce défaut d'image, la
> firme de Redmond a embauché Haley Barbour, précédemment chargé des
> collectes de fonds pour le parti Républicain, et Mark Fabiani, un avocat
> qui a travaillé à la Maison Blanche sur l'épineux dossier Whitewater. De
> son côté, Netscape contre-attaque et offre à la communauté informatique le
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> code source de son Communicator, espérant ainsi couper l'herbe sous le pied
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> de Microsoft. Netscape se propose d'intégrer après validation les
> améliorations introduites par les programmeurs. Cette initiative
> coopérative est accueillie avec réserve par la presse qui voit là une
> manoeuvre astucieuse mais peu compatible avec la cible mercatique de
> l'éditeur californien, les entreprises. Enfin, le Financial Times (FT),
> mutin, évoque un possible rachat de British Telecom par ... Microsoft.
>
> [ce,fh,fxtv,sm]
>

> FT=Financial Times ; NYT=New York Times ; WP=Washington Post ; WSJ=Wall
> Street Journal ; SJMN=San Jose Mercury News ; USA Today (USAT)
> ----
> S&T Presse - Copyright (C) 1997
> Ambassade de France aux Etats-Unis
> Mission Scientifique et Technologique

Archive-Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:47:06 +0100
To: <vms-mosaic@levitte.org>
Subject: Double posts, problem now resolved.
From: levitte@lp.se (Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker)
Date: 27 Jan 1998 03:46:03 GMT

There was a problem with double posts for a short while.  This was
generated by an erroneous parameter on my site.  Sorry about that.
The problam has now been resolved.

--
R Levitte, Levitte Programming;  Spannv. 38, I;  S-168 35  Bromma;  SWEDEN
      Tel: +46-8-26 52 47;  Cel: +46-708-20 09 64;  No fax right now
  PGP key fingerprint = A6 96 C0 34 3A 96 AA 6C  B0 D5 9A DF D2 E9 9C 65
   Check http://richard.levitte.org/ for my public key. bastard@bofh.se

          "price, performance, quality.  Choose any two you like"
Archive-Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 22:14:31 +0100
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 16:09:44 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: A new bug report
To: "Brian Tillman, x8425" <tillman@swdev.si.com>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>I downloaded V3.0 and all the changes in [.TEST] today and built it on OpenVMS
>VAX V6.2/DEC C V5.6/UCX (but I'm really using Pathway's UCX emulation, which
>works well).  The following sources appeared difference in Mosaic vs Navigator.
>On the first page, Navigator, of course, showed everything.  Mosaic, on the
>other hand, showed the "SI" logo bar (sia.gif), the building image (fpbuild.gif)
>image and nothing else.

The next release may fix this problem.

>In the second example, the pages appeared very similar, except that in Mosaic,
>the table was left justified and the <strong>...</strong> produced a little
>darker font, while Navigator produced italics.

In the next release, the table will be centered.

The <strong>...</strong> issue raises a good question.  Should Mosaic
follow the V3.2 HTML spec (which it does in this case) or should it follow
Navigator?  Or is the <strong> tag changed in HTML V4.0?

George
Archive-Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 23:11:30 +0100
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:10:18 -0500
From: "Brian Tillman, x8425" <tillman@swdev.si.com>
To: COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org

>The next release may fix this problem.

Actually, one of the changes I downloaded subsequent to the bug report seemed to
fix it.  Now I see the entire page except for the Java applet.  Well done!

>The <strong>...</strong> issue raises a good question.  Should Mosaic
>follow the V3.2 HTML spec (which it does in this case) or should it follow
>Navigator?  Or is the <strong> tag changed in HTML V4.0?

Perhaps it should follow HTML V4.0, which says <strong></strong> produces bold.
 Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
 Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
 4141 Eastern Ave., MS239        Addresses modified to prevent
 Grand Rapids, MI 49518-8727     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
        This opinion doesn't represent that of my company