G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: levitte

Archive-Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 08:03:54 +0100
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 00:11:56 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Mosaic V3.2 now available
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

Release 3.2 of VMS Mosaic is now available at

    ftp://alpha.wvnet.edu/mosaic/mosaic3_2.zip

It includes the following changes since release 3.1:
 o Added support for browser safe colors
 o Added Floyd-Steinberg dithering of images
 o Added support for right floating tables
 o Improved support for floating images
 o Improved vertical alignment of images
 o Added support for tables containing no <TR> and <TD>/<TH> tags
 o Added support for HTML containing Null characters
 o Added Referer info to image viewer download reguests
 o Reduced icon and GUI colormap usage
 o Changed "Previous page" button to ignore Refresh URLs
 o Updated help information
 o Improved support for file://localhost/ URLs
 o Improved support for PNG images
 o Upgraded PNG library to version 1.0.3
 o Removed CCI support from default build
 o Removed HDF and DTM code from source
 o Various bug fixes

Browser Safe Colors (i.e. the Netscape color cube) is the biggest
change.  It can be enabled/disabled via the Options menu, however it
is not a dynamic option (i.e. preferences must be saved and Mosaic
restarted).  In any case, Browser Safe Colors is only enabled if
Mosaic can allocate the required colors, otherwise support is disabled
regardless of the Options menu setting.  If you are using the New
Desktop (aka CDE) on a 256 color graphics card, Mosaic will not be
able to get enough colors unless it is given its own color map by
starting it with the /INSTALL_COLORMAP qualifier.  If you are using
DECwindows on a 256 color graphics card, then Mosaic should be able
to get enough colors if no other color application is running and
if the color settings in your MOSAIC.DAT have been updated to match
those in the MOSAIC.DAT_COLOR file provided with 3.2.

Floyd-Steinberg dithering of GIF, XPM and PNG images is the other
major change.  It is only used when Browser Safe Colors is enabled.
Although the Jpeg library used by Mosaic has always done Floyd-Steinberg
dithering on Jpeg images, its dithering is improved when Browser
Safe Colors is enabled.

Browser Safe Colors combined with Floyd-Steinberg dithering makes
many pages look significantly better (a few pages may look slightly
worse).  In particular, pages which have multiple color photos will
usually see major improvements (some will go from being almost
unviewable to looking fairly nice).  Another advantage is that the
color shifts which occur when using multiple Mosaic windows have
been greatly reduced.

The preference COLORS_PER_INLINED_IMAGE is ignored when Browser Safe
Colors is enabled; each image can use as many of the browser safe
colors as it needs.

Browser Safe Colors probably should not be used on a 24 plane graphics
card (i.e. one supporting more than 256 simultaneous colors) unless
the multiple Mosaic windows color shift problem is of major concern.
Note that if you have a 24 plane graphics card (and Browser Safe Colors
is disabled), the preference COLORS_PER_INLINED_IMAGE should be
increased to 256 (the maximum) for optimal page appearance.

Is there any interest in having all the menu help pages available
for installation on local systems?  There was at least one request
for this several years ago.  If so, I now have them all on my http
server (NCSA was no longer maintaining them on their server) and
could make them available for ftp.

George
Archive-Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:54:40 +0100
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 10:54:07 -0500 (EST)
From: CLARK%TRWSOG@stsci.edu
Subject: Re: Mosaic V3.2 now available
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

Is there any hope of having postscript support? Printing
out web pages is the one thing Mosaic 2.7-6 did best. I
haven't installed any new versions of Mosaic because of
this. I do appreciate all the work you have been doing in
improving the browser.

Thanks

Kerry Clark
Archive-Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:13:50 +0100
From: "Brian Tillman" <tillman@swdev.si.com>
To: <VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:11:32 -0500

>Is there any hope of having postscript support? Printing
>out web pages is the one thing Mosaic 2.7-6 did best.

Mosaic V3.2 should display Postscript as readily as did V2.7-6.  You just
need to uncomment the line

$! POSTSCRIPT_VIEWER ="gv %s"   ! Uncomment to use Ghostview

in MAKE_MOSAIC.COM before you build it.

 Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
 Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS      Addresses modified to prevent
 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
        This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

Archive-Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:32:57 +0100
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 13:32:46 -0500 (EST)
From: CLARK%TRWSOG@stsci.edu
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

Not view, print out. Mosaic printout looks horrible
on every version since 2.7-6. Just try the FILE PRINT
option from the menu on a displayed page, especially
one with tables.

Kerry Clark

Archive-Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 00:15:41 +0100
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 18:10:56 -0500
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
From: Jim Jennis <jhjennis@shentel.net>

Hi Brian....

I think he means native Postscript printing support of pages displayed by
mosaic which has been broken since v3.0. I was working on a fix, but
unfortunately, I no longer have access to a VMS system :-( in my new job....

maybe soon.

Cheers to all my old VMS Colleagues!

Regards,

Jim

At 13:11 2/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Is there any hope of having postscript support? Printing
>>out web pages is the one thing Mosaic 2.7-6 did best.
>
>Mosaic V3.2 should display Postscript as readily as did V2.7-6.  You just
>need to uncomment the line
>
>$! POSTSCRIPT_VIEWER ="gv %s"   ! Uncomment to use Ghostview
>
>in MAKE_MOSAIC.COM before you build it.
>
> Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
> Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
> 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS      Addresses modified to prevent
> Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
>        This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

Jim Jennis, Technical Director, Commercial Systems
Fuentez Systems Concepts, Inc.
1161Y Winchester Ave.
Martinsburg, WV. 25401 USA.

Phone: +001 (304) 264-2290
FAX:   +001 (304) 263-8777

Email: jjennis@fuentez.com
       jhjennis@shentel.net

Archive-Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:39:53 +0100
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 11:40:10 +0200
From: Alain Chappuis <Alain.Chappuis@medecine.unige.ch>
Subject: Mosaic V3.2 now available and problem in compilation
Sender: Alain.Chappuis@medecine.unige.ch
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

Hello I have a problem when I compile Mosaic 3.2.

See the problem:
$!
$! Create [.libjpeg]libjpeg.olb
$!
$Libjpeg:
$ Set Default [.libjpeg]
$ @Makefile.com
(IDENT=3.2,ALPHA=1,DECC=1,MULTINET_UCX=1,WORK=AU,MOTIF1_2=1,
%DCL-E-OPENIN, error opening W3:[SOURCES.MOSAIC3_2.LIBJPEG]MAKEFILE.COM;
as input
-RMS-E-FNF, file not found
$The_End:

Where did my file pass, it misses in the distribution?
I'm just retreive the distribution pack yesterday :-)

Thank in advance for enlight me.

Alain.
--
+----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| Alain Chappuis       | Responsable du systeme cmu.unige.ch       |
| CH-1211 Geneve 4     | WWW    : http://cmu.unige.ch/

+----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
Archive-Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:14:44 +0100
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 10:59:48 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Alain Chappuis <Alain.Chappuis@medecine.unige.ch>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>See the problem:
>$!
>$! Create [.libjpeg]libjpeg.olb
>$!
>$Libjpeg:
>$ Set Default [.libjpeg]
>$ @Makefile.com
>(IDENT=3.2,ALPHA=1,DECC=1,MULTINET_UCX=1,WORK=AU,MOTIF1_2=1,
>%DCL-E-OPENIN, error opening W3:[SOURCES.MOSAIC3_2.LIBJPEG]MAKEFILE.COM;
>as input
>-RMS-E-FNF, file not found
>$The_End:

A copy of MAKEFILE.COM has been placed in the MOSAIC anonymous ftp
directory on alpha.wvnet.edu.  It is only needed for non-MMS/MMK
builds.

George
Archive-Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:05:39 +0100
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 16:21:55 +0200
From: Alain Chappuis <Alain.Chappuis@medecine.unige.ch>
Subject: Mosaic V3.2 execution aborted
Sender: Alain.Chappuis@medecine.unige.ch
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

Hello I have a problem when I execute Mosaic 3.2.

See the problem:

Congratulations, you may have found a bug in (your copy of)
VMS Mosaic 3.2 on OpenVMS Alpha.

Remaining page file quota 191904 (page file quota = 200000)

Your VMS version appears to be V7.1 running on a AlphaStation 255/300.
The TCP/IP software is UCX (or UCX compatible).

| Verry strange I'm specified multinet! in the command line of
| make_mosaic, Multinet take an emulation of UCX.

Your Mosaic executable was generated using Motif 1.2-4
and was built on  9-FEB-1999 11:53:48.25 with image Ident 3.2
using DEC C.

The logical SYS$LOGIN points to W3:[CHAPPUIS]
The logical SYS$SCRATCH points to W3:[CHAPPUIS]
 ...exiting VMS Mosaic now.

 %SYSTEM-F-ABORT, abort

I dont have any other comment for my abort problem?

Have you any solution?

Thank you in advance.

Alain.
--
+----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| Alain Chappuis       | Responsable du systeme cmu.unige.ch       |
| Analyste programmeur | Responsable du serveur WEB cmu.unige.ch   |
| Universite de Geneve | E-mail : Alain.Chappuis@medecine.unige.ch |
| Centre Medical Univ. | Phone  : +41 (22) [70]25.073              |
| 1, Rue Michel-Servet | FAX    : +41 (22) 347.33.34               |
| CH-1211 Geneve 4     | WWW    : http://cmu.unige.ch/

+----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
Archive-Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:24:34 +0100
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 13:08:09 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: Mosaic V3.2 execution aborted
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, Alain Chappuis <Alain.Chappuis@medecine.unige.ch>
CC: COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>Your VMS version appears to be V7.1 running on a AlphaStation 255/300.
>The TCP/IP software is UCX (or UCX compatible).

>| Verry strange I'm specified multinet! in the command line of
>| make_mosaic, Multinet take an emulation of UCX.

This is normal.  To force a build to use the direct Multinet interface,
you would need to do @MAKE_MOSAIC "" MULTINET "" NOUCX.  However, the
only reason to do this would be if your version of Multinet is too
old to properly do UCX emulation (a case which MAKE_MOSAIC.COM
automatically handles).

>Your Mosaic executable was generated using Motif 1.2-4
>and was built on  9-FEB-1999 11:53:48.25 with image Ident 3.2
>using DEC C.

>The logical SYS$LOGIN points to W3:[CHAPPUIS]
>The logical SYS$SCRATCH points to W3:[CHAPPUIS]
> ...exiting VMS Mosaic now.

> %SYSTEM-F-ABORT, abort

Try building with the new GUI.C in the anonymous ftp directory on
alpha.wvnet.edu.  It may fix the problem, otherwise you should
build Mosaic with @MAKE_MOSAIC TRACE, then send me the crash output
when you execute it.

Unless there is some reason you cannot install MMK on your system,
it will speed the rebuilds up a great deal if you have it installed.
It is very easy to install (unzip it, do @LINK, then define the logical
MMK_DIR and the symbol MMK).

George
Archive-Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:13:59 +0100
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 11:51:27 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, CLARK%TRWSOG@stsci.edu
CC: COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>Is there any hope of having postscript support? Printing
>out web pages is the one thing Mosaic 2.7-6 did best. I
>haven't installed any new versions of Mosaic because of
>this. I do appreciate all the work you have been doing in
>improving the browser.

At some point postscript printing support will probably
be fixed to work as it does in 2.7-6 when table support
is disabled.  It may be quite some time, if ever, before
Mosaic will properly print tables, particulary given the
fact that I know next to nothing about postscript,

I've looked at several solutions including using a separate
HTML to Postscript utility.  Unfortunately, the only utility
I can find (html2ps) is written in Perl and requires a number
of other packages (e.g. ImageMagick).

George
Archive-Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 03:39:28 +0100
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:21:45 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: mosaic wish list
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, system@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
CC: COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>	well a list of one :)
>When image loading is delayed I would like to see either the name of
>the image or the alt label associated with the image.

This finally made it to the top of my todo list.  There is a new
HTMLIMAGES.C in the Mosaic anonymous ftp directory on alpha.wvnet.edu
which does this.

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 23:09:24 +0100
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:45:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Selden E Ball Jr <SEB@LNS62.LNS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: BUG: Mosaic V3.2 appends version number to local file URL
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: SEB@LNS62.LNS.CORNELL.EDU

George,

When one asks Mosaic v3.2 to display a local file URL,
it appends the file's version number.
It should not. Previous versions didn't.
This problem is seen in both Alpha and VAX versions of Mosaic.

E.g. the command
MOSAIC "/ciu3/ball/html/qs.html"
results in the following text in the "URL:" window
file://localhost/ciuser$disk2/ball/html/qs.html.19

Typing the string
/ciu3/ball/html/qs.html
into the "URL:" window also results in an expanded file URL that includes
the file's version number.

(On our systems, ciu3 is a logical name which points to a DFS mounted disk)
This causes problems when one is debugging an html file since
pressing the "Reload this page" doesn't get the newly edited version.

This problem is new with Mosaic V3.2, both Alpha and VAX versions.
It is not seen with Mosaic V3.1, both Alpha and VAX versions.

V3.1 does not do a file name expansion. It just prepends the
missing part of the local file URL, resulting in this display:
file://localhost/ciu3/ball/html/qs.html

Alpha version:
System version V7.1 built and run on a Digital AlphaStation 500/333.
  TCP/IP: UCX or UCX compatible [Multinet v4.0B]
  Your Mosaic executable was generated using Motif 1.2-4
  and was built on 23-FEB-1999 18:09:06.01 with image Ident 3.2
  using DEC C. [V5.5-002]

VAX version:
System version V7.1 built on a VAXstation 4000-90.
  TCP/IP: UCX or UCX compatible [Multinet V4.0C]
  Your Mosaic executable was generated using Motif 1.2-4
  and was built on 23-FEB-1999 18:04:40.36 with image Ident 3.2
  using DEC C [v5.7-002]

running on System version V7.1 on a VAXstation 4000-60
  TCP/IP: UCX or UCX compatible [Multinet V4.1B]
  using Motif 1.2-4

opening windows on a PC running NT V4 SP3 with Exceed v6.1.

Mosaic was built using these files:
MOSAIC3_2.ZIP;1                   4187/4194    23-FEB-1999 17:55:13.08
GUI.C;188                          341/342     23-FEB-1999 17:54:32.91
HTMLIMAGES.C;294                   125/126     23-FEB-1999 17:54:51.71

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Selden
======
Selden E. Ball, Jr.

Cornell University                 Voice: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory of Nuclear Studies        FAX: +1-607-255-8062
230A Wilson Synchrotron Lab         http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/
Judd Falls & Dryden Road        Internet: SEB@LNS62.LNS.CORNELL.EDU
Ithaca, NY, USA 14853-8001   HEPnet/SPAN: LNS62::SEB = 44284::SEB
Archive-Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:44:31 +0100
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 21:34:38 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Selden E Ball Jr <SEB@LNS62.LNS.CORNELL.EDU>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>When one asks Mosaic v3.2 to display a local file URL,
>it appends the file's version number.
>It should not. Previous versions didn't.

There is a new MO-WWW.C in the Mosaic anonymous ftp area on
alpha.wvnet.edu which corrects this problem.  The version
number will only be keep if one is explicity specified.

George