G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: levitte

Archive-Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 00:27:22 +0200
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:19:24 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: BUG: Mosaic V3.2 infinite loop loading page
To: David Potterveld 630-252-6589 <POTTERVELD@ANLMEP.PHY.ANL.GOV>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, POTTERVELD@ANLMEP.PHY.ANL.GOV, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>My version of VMS-MOSAIC goes into an infinite loop when loading the page:

>http://www.slac.standford.edu/index.html

Assuming you mean "http://www.slac.stanford.edu/index.html", I cannot
reproduce the problem.  This URL returns "Not Found", while
"http://www.slac.stanford.edu/" returns a page.

By loop, do you mean a CPU loop, or a loop where it keeps loading
an image repeatedly?

If it's a CPU loop, you need to build and run it with the debugger
and interrupt it when it loops to see where it is getting stuck.

If it's a load loop, then you need to enable the debug menu via
the DEBUG_MENU preference, then load the page while having
"Trace WWW2" enabled on the menu.  You can capture the trace
output into a file by during "DEFINE/USER SYS$OUTPUT file.name"
prior to running Mosaic.

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:12:40 +0200
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:09:29 -0300
From: system@vax.n21lab.gosniias.msk.ru (Sys Manager)
To: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu
Subject: Re: Re: Internationalization ?

>All the font definitions in HTMLFONT.C need to be changed.  They
>currently use a widecard for these two font definition fields (-iso8859-5).
>I don't know if there is anyway to change what the wide card returns
>by default.  Please try changing just the final '*' in these definitions
>to '5' and let me know if it works.

>What does the logical DECW$FONT point to on your system?

Only a small part of fonts using in HTMLFONT.C has international version.
In fact there are only 5 fonts. I replaced all font definition
in HTMLFONT.C thus :
 Adobe     -> Monotype
  -o-      ->   -i-     ( is that right ?)
  -*       -> iso8859-5
 Courier   -> Courier
 Times     -> Times New Roman |
 Helvetica -> Arial           |
 NewCentury-> Arial           |  these fonts haven't -8- size -> -10 -
 Lucidabright -> Plantin      |
 Lucidatypewriter -> Nimrod   |
Such mosaic version read control pages properly.
What do you think about this replacement?

Our system hasn't logical DECW$FONT. I think
sys$sysroot:[sysfont.decw.75dpi]
                         .100dpi]
                         ...]   use by default.
Aleksey.
Archive-Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:10:26 +0200
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 07:40:04 EST
From: Brian Reed <bdreed1@lucent.com>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

>My version of VMS-MOSAIC goes into an infinite loop when loading the page:

>http://www.slac.standford.edu/index.html

I've had a couple of problems, when clicking on an image,
that does this.  It gets the file, runs xv, xv complains
something like bad SOJ or something, then mosaic gets
stuck and takes over the CPU.

I'm just guessing maybe there's one of those images
on this page too.

Brian D. Reed
Lucent Technologies
Columbus Works
bdreed1@lucent.com
614-860-6218
Archive-Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:45:01 +0200
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:34:24 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Brian Reed <bdreed1@lucent.com>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>I've had a couple of problems, when clicking on an image,
>that does this.  It gets the file, runs xv, xv complains
>something like bad SOJ or something, then mosaic gets
>stuck and takes over the CPU.

I never figured out what was going on with this, but the latest
patched version (3.10A2) of xv doesn't cause the problem.  If
you happen to remember a page that has one of these images,
please let me know.

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:22:36 +0200
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:22:30 CST
From: Rick Dyson <dyson@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: dyson@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu

> From:	MX%"VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG"  1-APR-1999 07:48:58.73
> Subj:	Re: BUG: Mosaic V3.2 infinite loop loading page

> >I've had a couple of problems, when clicking on an image,
> >that does this.  It gets the file, runs xv, xv complains
> >something like bad SOJ or something, then mosaic gets
> >stuck and takes over the CPU.
>
> I never figured out what was going on with this, but the latest
> patched version (3.10A2) of xv doesn't cause the problem.  If
> you happen to remember a page that has one of these images,
> please let me know.

    The current version of XV for OpenVMS (compiling up to OpenVMS v7.1,
have not had it tested on v7.2 yet) with all the roll-up VMS related (and
all general) patches applied is at my site:

    ftp://www-pi.physics.uiowa.edu/~dyson/xv-3_10a-VMS.zip

    It is based on v3.10a with all the known (or reported!) fixes.

rick
--
Richard L. Dyson                                    rick-dyson@UIowa.EDU
    Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It

                                                -- Johnny Hart
Archive-Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:58:52 +0200
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 9:58:33 -0500
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

> From:	SMTP%"VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG"
> To:	JLAURET
> CC:
> Subj:	Re: BUG: Mosaic V3.2 infinite loop loading page

[...]
>     ftp://www-pi.physics.uiowa.edu/~dyson/xv-3_10a-VMS.zip
>
>     It is based on v3.10a with all the known (or reported!) fixes.
>
> rick
> --
> Richard L. Dyson                                    rick-dyson@UIowa.EDU
>     Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
>     eliminates  dreams,  goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to
>     the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
>
>                                                 -- Johnny Hart

	ftp:// leads to an Unable to access document and the http:// shows the
html but an attempt to download the XV version also leads to a "Unable to
access" message (using Lynx).

             ,,,,,
            ( o o )
         --m---U---m--
             Jerome

Archive-Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:09:25 +0200
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 09:09:19 CST
From: Rick Dyson <dyson@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: dyson@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu

> From:	MX%"VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG"  1-APR-1999 09:00:30.15
> Subj:	Re: BUG: Mosaic V3.2 infinite loop loading page

> >     ftp://www-pi.physics.uiowa.edu/~dyson/xv-3_10a-VMS.zip
> >
> >     It is based on v3.10a with all the known (or reported!) fixes.
> >
> > rick
>
> 	ftp:// leads to an Unable to access document and the http:// shows the
> html but an attempt to download the XV version also leads to a "Unable to
> access" message (using Lynx).

    You will need to use either Netscape or an FTP client.  Browsers tied
heavily to Unix will essentially reject the "~dyson" in the ftp request
because that is not possible with Unix. :)  Not so for MGFTP users!

    FTP www-pi.physics.uiowa.edu
    cd ~dyson
    bin
    get xv-3_10a-VMS.zip

Sorry about that.  I forgot that might cause some problems.

    Alternately, go to my web page, http://www-pi.physics.uiowa.edu/~dyson/,
and select the XV link about halfway down.

Rick
--
Richard L. Dyson                                    rick-dyson@uiowa.edu
 _   _      _____                http://www-pi.physics.uiowa.edu/~dyson/
| \_/ |     _| |_    Department of Physics & Astronomy
 \___/     |_____|   Iowa City, IA 52242-1479
Archive-Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:51:54 +0200
From: "Brian Tillman" <tillman@swdev.si.com>
To: <VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:50:43 -0500

>    You will need to use either Netscape or an FTP client.

Lynx works fine, too.

 Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
 Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS      Addresses modified to prevent
 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
        This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

Archive-Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 16:43:59 +0200
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 9:43:53 -0500
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org
Subject: Problem with images

	I think that there is a problem with some image references with Mosaic.
This problem can be demonstarted looking at
	http://www.cern.ch/

	With Netscape, all images are displayed. With Mosaic, all images are
broken. Is that an easy fix ?

             ,,,,,
            ( o o )
         --m---U---m--
             Jerome

Archive-Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 11:17:25 +0200
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:16:01 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: Problem with images
To: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>	I think that there is a problem with some image references with Mosaic.
>This problem can be demonstarted looking at
>	http://www.cern.ch/

There is a new IMG.C in the anonymous ftp directory on alpha.wvnet.edu
which corrects the problem.

George
Archive-Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 18:59:49 +0200
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 12:31:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: system@vax.n21lab.gosniias.msk.ru
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>>All the font definitions in HTMLFONT.C need to be changed.  They
>>currently use a widecard for these two font definition fields (-iso8859-5).
>>I don't know if there is anyway to change what the wide card returns
>>by default.  Please try changing just the final '*' in these definitions
>>to '5' and let me know if it works.

>Only a small part of fonts using in HTMLFONT.C has international version.
>In fact there are only 5 fonts. I replaced all font definition
>in HTMLFONT.C thus :
> Adobe     -> Monotype
>  -o-      ->   -i-     ( is that right ?)

Depends on the font.  I assume it should remain -o- in the case of the
Courier fonts?  It would be the correct change for fonts that use -i-
instead of -o- for italics.

>  -*       -> iso8859-5
> Courier   -> Courier
> Times     -> Times New Roman |
> Helvetica -> Arial           |
> NewCentury-> Arial           |  these fonts haven't -8- size -> -10 -
> Lucidabright -> Plantin      |
> Lucidatypewriter -> Nimrod   |
>Such mosaic version read control pages properly.
>What do you think about this replacement?

There is not much I can comment on.  I have never used a system with
these fonts.  Do they provide proper Cyrillic support?  One other
person has asked for Cyrillic support.

If you provide me with your changed files, I can probably distribute
them as part of Mosaic or at least get them to any one who requests
them.

George
Archive-Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:02:57 +0200
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:02:27 +0200
From: Alain Chappuis <Alain.Chappuis@medecine.unige.ch>
Subject: Different display between Mosaic and Netscape
Sender: Alain.Chappuis@medecine.unige.ch
To: Mosaic <VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG>

Hello,
I do not think that that is a bug, but a question of rule of display,
I think.

If you take the page according to the URL:
http://ebn.unige.ch/ebn/alain.html

You will immediately see the difference between the display of Netscape
3.03 (for VMS) and Mosaic 3.2.

Doesn't Mosaic restore the text below the image, but preserves a white
space after the image displayed?

It is right my small contribution to return perfect Mosaic :-)

Thank you Georges for your contribution.
Alain.
--
+----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| Alain Chappuis       | Responsable du systeme cmu.unige.ch       |
| CH-1211 Geneve 4     | WWW    : http://cmu.unige.ch/

+----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
Archive-Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:34:12 +0200
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:32:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Alain Chappuis <Alain.Chappuis@medecine.unige.ch>
CC: Mosaic <VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG>, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>I do not think that that is a bug, but a question of rule of display,
>I think.

>If you take the page according to the URL:
>http://ebn.unige.ch/ebn/alain.html

>You will immediately see the difference between the display of Netscape
>3.03 (for VMS) and Mosaic 3.2.

>Doesn't Mosaic restore the text below the image, but preserves a white
>space after the image displayed?

This problem will be fixed in the next release.  Thanks for reporting it.

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 06:57:21 +0200
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 00:53:41 -0400
From: Cynthia <ccurasi@mindspring.com>
Subject: VMS
To: vms-mosaic@hhs.dk

--Boundary_(ID_duchI8vEizZJuD65sAtAqA)

Might you be able to assist me with some guidance of where I can locate =
an Open VMS consultant for a government position in Raleigh, NC ? Any =
assistance would be appreciated.=20
=20
Thank You!

Cynthia Curasi
Inova Inc.
phone # 919-481-9155
fax # 919-481-3549
email : ccurasi@inovainc.com

--Boundary_(ID_duchI8vEizZJuD65sAtAqA)

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Might you be able to assist me with some guidance of =
where I=20
can locate an Open VMS consultant for a government position in Raleigh, =
NC ? Any=20
assistance would be appreciated. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thank You!</FONT></DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><BR>Cynthia Curasi<BR>Inova =
Inc.<BR>phone #=20
919-481-9155<BR>fax # 919-481-3549<BR>email : <A=20
href=3D"mailto:ccurasi@inovainc.com">ccurasi@inovainc.com</A><BR></FONT><=
/DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_duchI8vEizZJuD65sAtAqA)--