G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: levitte

Archive-Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 21:27:04 +0100
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 15:26:35 -0500
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
From: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>
Subject: v3.5-1 Frame Support

Hi VMS-Mosaic Users!

I just built Mosaic 3.5-1 with openssl on my Alpha... I have been away from
VMS Mosaic since 3.1 and I am very impressed with the improvements (ssl,
good PS printing, numerous others)

Thanks George!

Now a quick question....does 3.5-1 support Frames?

Thanks,

Jim
FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
      from the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.
Jim Jennis, Technical Director for Commercial Systems
Fuentez Systems Concepts, Inc.
1 Discovery Place, Suite 2
Martinsburg, WV. 25401
USA

Phone: +001 (304) 263-0163 ext. 235
Fax:   +001 (304) 263-0702
Email: jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com
       jhjennis@shentel.net
WEB: http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/
Archive-Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:16:25 +0100
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 16:14:09 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: v3.5-1 Frame Support
To: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>Now a quick question....does 3.5-1 support Frames?

No.  3.6 will.  It should be released Real Soon.

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 00:20:55 +0100
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 18:06:36 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Mosaic V3.6 now available
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

Release 3.6 of VMS Mosaic is now available at

    ftp://alpha.wvnet.edu/mosaic/mosaic3_6.zip

It includes the following changes since release 3.5-1:
 o Added support for frames
 o Added support for persistent cookies
 o Added support for the Symbol font
 o Added support for MIME type "image/pjpeg"
 o Added support for spaces in hex color values
 o Added Support for builds with DEC C V6.2
 o Reduced number of colors needed for browser safe color support
 o Improved color allocation management
 o Improved support for subscripts and superscripts
 o Improved Postscript printing of floating images
 o Fixed problem with image rescaling when only width is specified
 o Fixed redirect problems caused by Content-Location: headers
 o Fixed Postscript printing problems caused by long URLs
 o Various bug and memory leak fixes

The major change is support for frames.  This support can be enabled
or disabled via the "Frame Support" selection on the Options menu.
When it is disabled, frames will be displayed as in previous versions
of Mosaic.

The support for persistent cookies (i.e., cookies kept across sessions)
is controlled via the Cookie Jar Manager page.

Examples of the Symbol font support along with the improved support
for subscripts and superscripts can be viewed at:

    http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/in_action.html

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 04:25:35 +0100
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 21:24:17 -0600
From: system@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
Subject: corrupt zip file?

unzipping 3.6 I got a message telling me that it was probably corrupt.
Downloaded it again , same size same checksum.  Anybody else have this
problem?

Robert
who was very impressed by that "real soon now" release :)
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 04:50:58 +0100
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 21:50:12 CST
From: Rick Dyson <dyson@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: dyson@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu
Subject: RE: corrupt zip file?

> From:	MX%"VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG"  2-FEB-2000 21:28:32.32
> Subj:	corrupt zip file?

> unzipping 3.6 I got a message telling me that it was probably corrupt.
> Downloaded it again , same size same checksum.  Anybody else have this
> problem?

What version of UnZip do you have?  v5.32 is the current one (I believe)
and older versions won't read zip files created by the newer Zip...

rick
--
Richard L. Dyson                                    rick-dyson@UIowa.EDU
                Penguins are beautiful, interesting, and funny.

                                                --George Gaylord Simpson

Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 05:27:48 +0100
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 23:13:14 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: system@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>unzipping 3.6 I got a message telling me that it was probably corrupt.
>Downloaded it again , same size same checksum.  Anybody else have this
>problem?

This is the first release I zipped using ZIP V2.2.  It's possible it
produces zip files that are incompatible with all but the most recent
releases of UNZIP.  UNZIP V5.40 executables are available in the
UNZIP directory in the anonymous ftp area on alpha.wvnet.edu.

Please give 5.40 a try.  If it works, what version of UNZIP reported
a problem?  Did that version work with previous Mosaic zip files?

Unfortunately, I no longer have the previous version of ZIP.  If
someone can make it available (I believe it was 2.1), I can rezip 3.6
with it.  One of the basic goals of Mosaic development on VMS is that
it should build and run on a system regardless of the versions of the
various required software.

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 05:59:47 +0100
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:59:01 -0600
From: David Potterveld (630-252-6589) <POTTERVELD@ANLMEP.PHY.ANL.GOV>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: POTTERVELD@ANLMEP.PHY.ANL.GOV

It unzipped OK for me. (Using info-zip's unzip utility.)
How did you download it? It needs to be retrieved in binary mode.
Try using explicit ftp instead of a browser if you're not sure.
David Potterveld (potterveld@anl.gov)
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:48:04 +0100
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:46:49 -0600
From: system@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

Hmmm, My zip says

Copyright (C) 1990-1997 Mark Adler, Richard B. Wales, Jean-loup Gailly,
Onno van der Linden, Christian Spieler and Igor Mandrichenko.
Type 'zip "-L"' for software license.
Zip 2.2 (November 3rd 1997). Usage: zip=="$disk:[dir]zip.exe"

In any case I downloaded the unzip 5.4 as you suggested and viola!

Thank you much,

Robert Morphis
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:56:56 +0100
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 08:55:50 CST
From: Rick Dyson <dyson@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: dyson@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu

> From:	MX%"VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG"  3-FEB-2000 08:50:42.79
> Subj:	Re: corrupt zip file?

> Hmmm, My zip says

    Actually, you need to check UnZip.  Not Zip.

    I think George wanted to know which version of UnZip does not work
with Zip v2.2.

> Copyright (C) 1990-1997 Mark Adler, Richard B. Wales, Jean-loup Gailly,
> Onno van der Linden, Christian Spieler and Igor Mandrichenko.
> Type 'zip "-L"' for software license.
> Zip 2.2 (November 3rd 1997). Usage: zip=="$disk:[dir]zip.exe"

rick
--
Richard L. Dyson                                    rick-dyson@UIowa.EDU
                Penguins are beautiful, interesting, and funny.
                    They are a pleasure to watch even though
                they do smell and their voices are not melodious.

                                                --George Gaylord Simpson

Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:03:37 +0100
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:00:46 +0100
From: pmoreau@cena.dgac.fr (Patrick MOREAU, CENA Athis, Tel: 01.69.57.64.40)
To: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org

>From:	SMTP%"VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org"  3-FEB-2000 15:59:38.01
>To:	VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
>CC:
>Subj:	Re: corrupt zip file?
>
>    I think George wanted to know which version of UnZip does not work
>with Zip v2.2.

I have no problems with Unzip 5.20, and its a rather old version:

UnZip 5.20 of 30 April 1996, by Info-ZIP.  Maintained by Greg Roelofs.  Send
bug reports to the authors at Zip-Bugs@wkuvx1.wku.edu; see README for details.

Latest sources and executables are always in ftp.uu.net:/pub/archiving/zip, at
least as of date of this release; see "Where" for other ftp and non-ftp sites.

Compiled with DEC C V5.0-003 for OpenVMS (V6.1 for Alpha) on Jul  1 1996.

Patrick

pmoreau@cena.dgac.fr  (CENA)     ______      ___   _           (Patrick MOREAU)
moreau_p@decus.fr (DECUS)       / /   /     / /|  /|
CENA/Athis-Mons FRANCE         / /___/     / / | / |   __   __   __   __
BP 205                        / /         / /  |/  |  |  | |__| |__  |__| |  |
94542 ORLY AEROGARE CEDEX    / /   ::    / /       |  |__| | \  |__  |  | |__|
http://www2.cenaath.cena.dgac.fr/~pmoreau/  http://www.multimania.com/pmoreau/
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:11:14 +0100
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:03:57 +0100
From: pmoreau@cena.dgac.fr (Patrick MOREAU, CENA Athis, Tel: 01.69.57.64.40)
To: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org
Subject: Re: Mosaic V3.6 now available

>From:	SMTP%"VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org"  3-FEB-2000 00:23:47.10
>To:	VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
>CC:
>Subj:	Mosaic V3.6 now available
>
>Release 3.6 of VMS Mosaic is now available at
>
>    ftp://alpha.wvnet.edu/mosaic/mosaic3_6.zip

I've installed the baby on my Alpha 200 at work. Oh, it's so nice !!

Really impressive result, and rather fast display.

I notice however a small problem on pages generated with gifmap (a perl script
using ImageMagick to generate image indexes, heavily used at CENA). I dont
know if the html generated is valid (I don't see horrors at a first look,
but I'm not a frame expert), it work well with Nestcape 3.03 at least.

Try the url:

 http://www2.cenaath.cena.dgac.fr/machines/index.html

without frame support, the noframe section is OK. With frame support
activated, you just see the Up button and a blue background instead of the twe
frames.

BTW, the photos show all the main computers (servers) used by CENA from 1981
to 1996 ...

Patrick

pmoreau@cena.dgac.fr  (CENA)     ______      ___   _           (Patrick MOREAU)
moreau_p@decus.fr (DECUS)       / /   /     / /|  /|
CENA/Athis-Mons FRANCE         / /___/     / / | / |   __   __   __   __
BP 205                        / /         / /  |/  |  |  | |__| |__  |__| |  |
94542 ORLY AEROGARE CEDEX    / /   ::    / /       |  |__| | \  |__  |  | |__|
http://www2.cenaath.cena.dgac.fr/~pmoreau/  http://www.multimania.com/pmoreau/
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:36:31 +0100
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:35:18 -0600
From: system@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

dyson wrote:
>morphis (system) wrote:

>> Hmmm, My zip says

>    Actually, you need to check UnZip.  Not Zip.

Ah!

UnZip 5.0p1 of 12 January 1993, by Info-ZIP.  Portions (c) 1989 by S. H. Smith.

Bingo.

>    I think George wanted to know which version of UnZip does not work
>with Zip v2.2.

Robert Morphis
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:46:03 +0100
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:45:11 -0500
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

> From:	SMTP%"VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG"
> To:	JLAURET
> CC:
> Subj:	Mosaic V3.6 now available
>
> Release 3.6 of VMS Mosaic is now available at
>
>     ftp://alpha.wvnet.edu/mosaic/mosaic3_6.zip
>
> George
[...]

	Great Work. As usual, Mosaic deals with frame much much faster than
what I can observe with Netscape (soon, the "evil" one may be obsolete).

	I have couple of suggestions though for frame support :

- First, whenever we are in frame-like pages, a view source would show only
  the main layout : there are no choices in terms of seing the centered main
  page for example.

- Also, one should have the hability to open a page, part of a frame,as a
  non-frame page .

- The history does not report the actual page opened (related to the above,
  one cannot get to a non-frame mode using the history).

- I am not super sure that the links are properly treated. Consider
 those 2 links :
	http://p25ext.lanl.gov/phenix/mvd/mvd.html
 and
	http://phenix.bnl.gov/
 	chose "DEtector Systems" "MVD" from the left center menu (8th menu)

 From the appearing page, the "Publications" (in the second menu list) works
 in the first case but not in the sec case where it says
 /phenix/mvd/papers/papers/papers.html was not found on this server. But the
 thing is that the mvd.html page is opened from lanl.gov and not from
 phenix.bnl.gov ... I have the impression that the path glueing is wrong.

             ,,,,,
            ( o o )
         --m---U---m--
             Jerome

Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:23:23 +0100
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 12:09:55 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: pmoreau@cena.dgac.fr
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>I notice however a small problem on pages generated with gifmap (a perl script
>using ImageMagick to generate image indexes, heavily used at CENA). I dont
>know if the html generated is valid (I don't see horrors at a first look,
>but I'm not a frame expert), it work well with Nestcape 3.03 at least.

> http://www2.cenaath.cena.dgac.fr/machines/index.html

>without frame support, the noframe section is OK. With frame support
>activated, you just see the Up button and a blue background instead of the twe
>frames.

The HTML is bad.  The Frame Set the two Frames are in does not have
enough rows (i.e., it has only one) to display both frames.  I added a
hack which "steals" a column from the first Frame Set.  However the
frame borders are messed up because the Frame Sets have incompatible
border attributes.  Unfortunately Mosaic is full of hacks like this
because Netscape and IE both accept all kinds of broken HTML instead
of enforcing the standards.

The hack is in a new HTMLFRAMES.C in the anonymous ftp area on
alpha.wvnet.edu.

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:42:07 +0100
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 12:29:23 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: Re : Mosaic V3.6 now available
To: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>- First, whenever we are in frame-like pages, a view source would show only
>  the main layout : there are no choices in terms of seing the centered main
>  page for example.

>- Also, one should have the hability to open a page, part of a frame,as a
>  non-frame page .

>- The history does not report the actual page opened (related to the above,
>  one cannot get to a non-frame mode using the history).

Yes, most of this stuff was left for the next release.  The only current
way to deal with individual frames is to turn frame support off, reload
the page and then select the frames individually.

>- I am not super sure that the links are properly treated. Consider
> those 2 links :
>	http://p25ext.lanl.gov/phenix/mvd/mvd.html
> and
>	http://phenix.bnl.gov/
> 	chose "DEtector Systems" "MVD" from the left center menu (8th menu)

The DNS refuses to return any records for phenix.bnl.gov, although it
does seem to exist; I've never seen the DNS respond that way before.
In any case, I cannot access the second link.

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:05:52 +0100
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:05:06 -0500
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org
Subject: Re: Mosaic V3.5 now available

> #82          3-FEB-2000 12:41:20.00                                     MAIL
> From:	SMTP%"COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu"
> To:	JLAURET
> CC:
> Subj:	Re: Re : Mosaic V3.6 now available
>
> >- First, whenever we are in frame-like pages, a view source would show only
> >  the main layout : there are no choices in terms of seing the centered main
> >  page for example.
>
> >- Also, one should have the hability to open a page, part of a frame,as a
> >  non-frame page .
>
> >- The history does not report the actual page opened (related to the above,
> >  one cannot get to a non-frame mode using the history).
>
> Yes, most of this stuff was left for the next release.  The only current
> way to deal with individual frames is to turn frame support off, reload
> the page and then select the frames individually.
>
> >- I am not super sure that the links are properly treated. Consider
> > those 2 links :
> >	http://p25ext.lanl.gov/phenix/mvd/mvd.html
> > and
> >	http://phenix.bnl.gov/
> > 	chose "DEtector Systems" "MVD" from the left center menu (8th menu)
>
> The DNS refuses to return any records for phenix.bnl.gov, although it
> does seem to exist; I've never seen the DNS respond that way before.
> In any case, I cannot access the second link.
>

> George

	My mistake. Instead of cut-n-paste, I typed it and left things off.
Real links are :

	http://www.phenix.bnl.gov/		     (Ip is 130.199.98.37)
        choose "DEtector Systems" "MVD" from the left center menu (8th menu)
	The right side should have
	 http://p25ext.lanl.gov/phenix/mvd/mvd.html  (Ip is 204.121.24.1)

	The "Publications" list is
	http://p25ext.lanl.gov/phenix/mvd/papers/papers.html

	and can be opened if you first open http://p25ext.lanl.gov/phenix/mvd/mvd.html
but not if you start from  http://www.phenix.bnl.gov/. In that last case, you
should see something like

Not Found
The requested URL /phenix/mvd/papers/papers/papers.html was not found on this server.

	which I thought might be a URLlpath problem.

	Could you please try again the corrected URL's. Otherwise, I'll try to
find others.

	I am still VERY impressed byt the speed. Moving scroll bars with
Netscape is something I do when really necessary and not without first couple
payers. With mosaic, it's soooo fast and smooth ...

             ,,,,,
            ( o o )
         --m---U---m--
             Jerome

Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:15:28 +0100
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:14:41 -0500
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

> From:	SMTP%"VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG"
> To:	JLAURET
> CC:
> Subj:	Re: Mosaic V3.5 now available

[...]
> 	http://p25ext.lanl.gov/phenix/mvd/papers/papers.html

[...]
> Not Found
> The requested URL /phenix/mvd/papers/papers/papers.html was not found on this server.

	WAIT !! (some addition) I think this problem should be obvious : the
word "papers" is doubled somehow in the final link although the <A HREF=""></A>
is correct. This happens with all links of the form

	URLpath/xxx/xxx.html
but not with
	URLpath/xxx/yyy.html

	+ only in Frame support mode.

	i.e. a link like URLpath/xxx/xxx.html leads to request of the form
URLpath/xxx/xxx/xxx.html in frame support.

             ,,,,,
            ( o o )
         --m---U---m--
             Jerome

Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:24:01 +0100
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:23:12 -0500
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org

	Sorry : me again ...

	Another problem is image alignement. Compare
http://nucax1.chem.sunysb.edu/ and it's main frame
http://nucax1.chem.sunysb.edu/wwwixs_main.html . In the first case, the text is
bordering in the image. In the second, everything appears as it should.

             ,,,,,
            ( o o )
         --m---U---m--
             Jerome

Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:57:42 +0100
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 13:57:19 -0500
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
From: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>
Subject: In correct url translation in frame

Hi George!

I have seen what appears to be an incorrect url translation in mosaic 3.6.

You can duplicate the behavior by visiting the following url

http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/fsc/

On the left hand frame click the "What's New?" link

This will load

the url

/fsc/what_is_new.html

in the right hand frame.

Then, clicking on the "Cynercomm from FSC" image should take you to

./cynercomm/products/cynercomm_marketing.html

Although mosaic diplays the correct url in the message bar when the mouse
is place over the image, when the image is clicked, Mosaic improperly
translates the url to

http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/fsc/products/cynercomm/products/cynercomm/c
ynercomm_marketing.html

The improper translation occurs with or without the document being
displayed in a frame.

Netscape on Linux, OpenVMS, Windoze, and IE on Windoze handle it correctly,
as does Lynx.

Regards,

Jim
FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
      from the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.
Jim Jennis, Technical Director for Commercial Systems
Fuentez Systems Concepts, Inc.
1 Discovery Place, Suite 2
Martinsburg, WV. 25401
USA

Phone: +001 (304) 263-0163 ext. 235
Fax:   +001 (304) 263-0702
Email: jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com
       jhjennis@shentel.net
WEB: http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:18:20 +0100
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 13:24:41 -0500
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
From: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>

Hi George!

Just downloaded and built 3.6 on my Alpha. All I can say is WOW! Great
work! The frames support is a really nice addition. I built mosaic with gv
configured as my default postscript helper application.

When I access a .ps file via a url to my OSU web server, Mosaic correctly
calls gv and displays the file, howver when I try opening a postscript file
with

file://localhost......myfile.ps

I got either one of two things...the file displayed as ascii text in the
main mosaic window...or the binary save file dialog appearing. I have not
tried this with other file types yet.

Is there an environment variable I need to set to correct this behavior?

Thanks,

Jim
FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
      from the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.
Jim Jennis, Technical Director for Commercial Systems
Fuentez Systems Concepts, Inc.
1 Discovery Place, Suite 2
Martinsburg, WV. 25401
USA

Phone: +001 (304) 263-0163 ext. 235
Fax:   +001 (304) 263-0702
Email: jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com
       jhjennis@shentel.net
WEB: http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 21:01:28 +0100
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 15:00:25 -0500 (EST)
From: CLARK%TRWSOG@stsci.edu
Subject: Mosaic V3.6 and frame .PS file printing.
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

Frame support is great! Has anyone tried printing
out a frame page as a .PS file? I get the following
error when I hit the print button:

Congratulations, you may have found a bug in (your copy of)
VMS Mosaic 3.6 on OpenVMS Alpha.

Remaining page file quota 185616 (page file quota = 200000)

If you did not read the README.VMS-3_x file carefully before installing, it
might be a good time to do it now.  If there were any compilation or linking
errors, you should try to find the reason for them and correct them.
If this does not help, please take note of what happened in as much detail
as possible and send mail to cook@wvnet.edu.

Your VMS version appears to be V7.1-1H2 running on a Digital Personal
WorkStation 600AU.
The TCP/IP software is UCX (or UCX compatible) - Multinet V4.2(119).
Your Mosaic executable was generated using Motif 1.2-4
and was built on  3-FEB-2000 13:43:37.47 with image Ident 3.6
using DEC C V6.0-001.
It was linked with OpenSSL 0.9.4.

The logical SYS$LOGIN points to [CLARK]
The logical SYS$SCRATCH points to [CLARK]
...exiting VMS Mosaic now.

%SYSTEM-F-ABORT, abort
$

I did include the latest HTMLFRAME.C;39 fix.

It does look like it is trying to do something:

Directory [CLARK]

MOSAIC-TMP112_211854.PS;1         0   3-FEB-2000 14:21:16.65
MOSAIC-TMP14_208750.PS;1          0   3-FEB-2000 14:24:54.22
MOSAIC-TMP15_208750.PS;1          0   3-FEB-2000 14:23:25.44
MOSAIC-TMP30_211571.PS;1          0   3-FEB-2000 14:54:33.19

Total of 4 files, 0 blocks.

Thanks again for all the work!!!

Kerry Clark
clark@stsci.edu

Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 22:05:16 +0100
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 13:34:21 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>	Another problem is image alignement. Compare
>http://nucax1.chem.sunysb.edu/ and it's main frame
>http://nucax1.chem.sunysb.edu/wwwixs_main.html . In the first case, the text is
>bordering in the image. In the second, everything appears as it should.

This one is not a frame problem.  Note that the spacing error is between the
"star-arrow" image and the text.  I believe the problem is in the table
width calculations.

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 23:13:51 +0100
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 17:11:44 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>	http://www.phenix.bnl.gov/		     (Ip is 130.199.98.37)
>        choose "DEtector Systems" "MVD" from the left center menu (8th menu)
>	The right side should have
>	 http://p25ext.lanl.gov/phenix/mvd/mvd.html  (Ip is 204.121.24.1)

>	The "Publications" list is
>	http://p25ext.lanl.gov/phenix/mvd/papers/papers.html

>	and can be opened if you first open http://p25ext.lanl.gov/phenix/mvd/mvd.html
>but not if you start from  http://www.phenix.bnl.gov/. In that last case, you
>should see something like

>Not Found
>The requested URL /phenix/mvd/papers/papers/papers.html was not found on this server.

There is a new GUI.C in the anonymous ftp area on alpha.wvnet.edu
which corrects this problem.

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 23:24:41 +0100
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 17:21:52 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: In correct url translation in frame
To: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>I have seen what appears to be an incorrect url translation in mosaic 3.6.

>Although mosaic diplays the correct url in the message bar when the mouse
>is place over the image, when the image is clicked, Mosaic improperly
>translates the url to

>http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/fsc/products/cynercomm/products/cynercomm/c
>ynercomm_marketing.html

This is also fixed by the new GUI.C.

George
Archive-Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 05:28:26 +0100
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 23:24:16 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: Mosaic V3.6 and frame .PS file printing.
To: CLARK%TRWSOG@stsci.edu
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>Frame support is great! Has anyone tried printing
>out a frame page as a .PS file? I get the following
>error when I hit the print button:

There are new GUI-DIALOGS.C and HTML-PSFORMAT.C files which add support
for printing frames (each frame prints on a separate set of pages) in
the anonymous ftp area on alpha.wvnet.edu.

George
Archive-Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 17:17:42 +0100
From: "Brian Tillman" <tillman@swdev.si.com>
To: <VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:16:00 -0500

>Release 3.6 of VMS Mosaic is now available

Thanks, George!

I see that there are the files gui-dialogs.c, gui.c, html-psformat.c, and htmlframe.c in the
download directory.  Should these be applied, too?

 Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
 Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS      Addresses modified to prevent
 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
        This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

Archive-Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:56:56 +0100
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 12:56:35 -0500
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
From: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>
Subject: GUI.C Fixes

Hi George,

I downloaded all the fixes you posted and rebuilt mosaic 3.6 with them
today. The url translation problem I reported yesterday is "sort of fixed".
Now when you visit the url

http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/fsc/

and click the "What's new?" link on the left hand frame, followed by a
click on the Cynercomm image that is displayed on the "what_is_new.html"
page that is displayed in the right hand frame...  on the first load of the
url, mosaic still says "page not found on this server", and displays the
url correctly but....(minus the server piece)

e.g.

/fsc/products/cynercomm/cynercomm_marketing.html

not found on this server. However, if you click "reload" while this message
is displayed, mosaic WILL find and display the page correctly. The url
displayed in the message bar when the mouse passes over the image is
correct, as it was yesterday.

Thanks!

Regards,

Jim
FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
      from the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.
Jim Jennis, Technical Director for Commercial Systems
Fuentez Systems Concepts, Inc.
1 Discovery Place, Suite 2
Martinsburg, WV. 25401
USA

Phone: +001 (304) 263-0163 ext. 235
Fax:   +001 (304) 263-0702
Email: jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com
       jhjennis@shentel.net
WEB: http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/
Archive-Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 09:33:22 +0100
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 03:26:48 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Brian Tillman <tillman@swdev.si.com>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>I see that there are the files gui-dialogs.c, gui.c, html-psformat.c, and htmlframe.c in the
>download directory.  Should these be applied, too?

Yes, all additional files (as documented in the README.BUGS file in the
anonymous ftp area) should be applied.

George
Archive-Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 10:02:50 +0100
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 03:44:39 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: GUI.C Fixes
To: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>I downloaded all the fixes you posted and rebuilt mosaic 3.6 with them
>today. The url translation problem I reported yesterday is "sort of fixed".
>Now when you visit the url

>http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/fsc/

>and click the "What's new?" link on the left hand frame, followed by a
>click on the Cynercomm image that is displayed on the "what_is_new.html"
>page that is displayed in the right hand frame...  on the first load of the
>url, mosaic still says "page not found on this server", and displays the
>url correctly but....(minus the server piece)

>e.g.

>/fsc/products/cynercomm/cynercomm_marketing.html

BTW, the background image on this page fails to load due to a "You don't
have permission to access" error.

>not found on this server. However, if you click "reload" while this message
>is displayed, mosaic WILL find and display the page correctly. The url
>displayed in the message bar when the mouse passes over the image is
>correct, as it was yesterday.

I cannot get it to fail.  Does anyone else on the list see a failure?

Does you local network have any kind of firewall or caching engines?
Is the workstation running Mosaic on the same LAN as the web server?
That shouldn't make a difference, but if noone else sees the problem
then there may be some strange local interaction.  If it is a local
problem, I will need to see HTTP or WWW2 debug traces (see the Debug
menu (enabled via the DEBUG_MENU preference)) in order to diagnose
the problem.

George
Archive-Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 10:41:42 +0100
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:29:21 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>When I access a .ps file via a url to my OSU web server, Mosaic correctly
>calls gv and displays the file, howver when I try opening a postscript file
>with

>file://localhost......myfile.ps

>I got either one of two things...the file displayed as ascii text in the
>main mosaic window...or the binary save file dialog appearing. I have not
>tried this with other file types yet.

This was a case sensitivity problem.  There is a new HTINIT.C which
corrects the problem in the anonymous ftp area on alpha.wvnet.edu.

George
Archive-Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 17:20:52 +0100
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 11:20:20 -0500
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
From: Jim Jennis <jhjennis@shentel.net>

Hi George,

Thanks for writing back.

At 03:44 2/5/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>>I downloaded all the fixes you posted and rebuilt mosaic 3.6 with them
>>today. The url translation problem I reported yesterday is "sort of fixed".
>>Now when you visit the url
>
>>http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/fsc/
>
>>and click the "What's new?" link on the left hand frame, followed by a
>>click on the Cynercomm image that is displayed on the "what_is_new.html"
>>page that is displayed in the right hand frame...  on the first load of the
>>url, mosaic still says "page not found on this server", and displays the
>>url correctly but....(minus the server piece)
>
>>e.g.
>
>>/fsc/products/cynercomm/cynercomm_marketing.html
>
>BTW, the background image on this page fails to load due to a "You don't
>have permission to access" error.

Thanks...this is a problem I was not aware of, but very strange since the
image file has world read access. I will have to check it out.

>>not found on this server. However, if you click "reload" while this message
>>is displayed, mosaic WILL find and display the page correctly. The url
>>displayed in the message bar when the mouse passes over the image is
>>correct, as it was yesterday.
>
>I cannot get it to fail.  Does anyone else on the list see a failure?
>
>Does you local network have any kind of firewall or caching engines?
>Is the workstation running Mosaic on the same LAN as the web server?
>That shouldn't make a difference, but if noone else sees the problem
>then there may be some strange local interaction.  If it is a local
>problem, I will need to see HTTP or WWW2 debug traces (see the Debug
>menu (enabled via the DEBUG_MENU preference)) in order to diagnose
>the problem.

Yes, there is a firewall...BUT it is filtering external packets only, there
is no proxy server or caching engine on the local area network. The WWW
server and the VMS server running mosaic are on the same LAN. The
connection is local between them (in fact they are physically in the same
location on the same switch).

If you need detailed debugging from Mosaic or the WEB server logs, I will
be happy to generate it next week.

Thanks,

Jim

 ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-
/ / \ \   / / \ \   / / \ \   / / \ \   / /
     \ \ / /   \ \ / /   \ \ / /   \ \ / /
      `-'-'     `-'-'     `-'-'     `-'-'
FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
      From the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.

Jim Jennis, Technical Director, Commercial Systems

Email: jjennis@fuentez.com
       jhjennis@shentel.net
Web:   http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/

Archive-Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 07:47:28 +0100
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 01:45:14 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Jim Jennis <jhjennis@shentel.net>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>If you need detailed debugging from Mosaic or the WEB server logs, I will
>be happy to generate it next week.

If they are detailed enough, the WEB server logs may provide enough
information.

George
Archive-Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 11:59:49 +0100
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 05:54:40 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
CC: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>, VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>>	Another problem is image alignement. Compare
>>http://nucax1.chem.sunysb.edu/ and it's main frame
>>http://nucax1.chem.sunysb.edu/wwwixs_main.html . In the first case, the text is
>>bordering in the image. In the second, everything appears as it should.

>This one is not a frame problem.  Note that the spacing error is between the
>"star-arrow" image and the text.  I believe the problem is in the table
>width calculations.

There is a new HTMLTABLE.C which corrects this problem in the anonymous
ftp area on alpha.wvnet.edu.

George
Archive-Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 16:16:26 +0100
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:15:29 -0500
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

> From:	SMTP%"VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG"
> To:	JLAURET
> CC:
> Subj:	Re: Mosaic V3.6 now available

[...]
> >>	Another problem is image alignement. Compare
> >>http://nucax1.chem.sunysb.edu/ and it's main frame
> >>http://nucax1.chem.sunysb.edu/wwwixs_main.html . In the first case, the text is
> >>bordering in the image. In the second, everything appears as it should.
>
> >This one is not a frame problem.  Note that the spacing error is between the
> >"star-arrow" image and the text.  I believe the problem is in the table
> >width calculations.
>
> There is a new HTMLTABLE.C which corrects this problem in the anonymous
> ftp area on alpha.wvnet.edu.
>

> George

	I grabbed the code (along the other patches) and it works great.
	Thanks a lot for this fast and efficient bug/missfeature fixes.

             ,,,,,
            ( o o )
         --m---U---m--
             Jerome

Archive-Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 17:40:30 +0100
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 11:40:21 -0500
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
From: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>

Hi George!

Thanks for all your help! Although I thought I had purged my mosaic cache,
apparently this must not have been the case. When I logged in fresh this
morning (and restarted my OSU Web server), the problem url is no longer a
problem and behaves correctly.

Thanks!

Jim

At 11:20 AM 2/5/2000 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim
>
> ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-
>/ / \ \   / / \ \   / / \ \   / / \ \   / /
>     \ \ / /   \ \ / /   \ \ / /   \ \ / /
>      `-'-'     `-'-'     `-'-'     `-'-'
>FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
>      From the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.
>
>Jim Jennis, Technical Director, Commercial Systems
>Fuentez Systems Concepts, Inc.
>1 Discovery Place, Suite 2
>Martinsburg, WV. 25401 USA.
>
>Phone: +001 (304) 263-0163 ext 235
>FAX:   +001 (304) 263-0702
>
>Email: jjennis@fuentez.com
>       jhjennis@shentel.net
>Web:   http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/

FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
      from the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.
Jim Jennis, Technical Director for Commercial Systems

Archive-Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 22:41:20 +0100
From: "Brian Tillman" <tillman@swdev.si.com>
To: "Mosaic Support" <vms-mosaic@levitte.org>
Subject: "Adding columns" messages
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 16:39:41 -0500

Thanks for the frame support!  While the view doesn't quite match that of MSIE or Navigator, I won't
complain.  Is there a reason why Mosaic displays "Adding 1 columns to table." while displaying a
page containing frames?

 Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
 Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS      Addresses modified to prevent
 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
        This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

Archive-Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 01:38:23 +0100
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 19:37:41 -0500
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
Subject: Cookies working ??

	Hum. Are we sure that the cookies works ? The site
http://www.namaste.com/ (indian groceries online) is saying, whenever I add
things to cart, that "To access this site your browser must be accepting
cookies" although, I do see cookies in the cookie-jar. Maybe it accepts it but
do not give it back (persisten cookies). This speculation is based uppon the
fact that I restarted a session and a new cookie was in the jar (same name but
different path, same initial choice).

	Could someone tell me what am I doing wrong ?? (or check it out)

             ,,,,,
            ( o o )
         --m---U---m--
             Jerome

PS : I do have
COOKIES: True
 in the preferences.

Archive-Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 08:31:37 +0100
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 02:18:03 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: "Adding columns" messages
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>Thanks for the frame support!  While the view doesn't quite match that of MSIE or Navigator, I won't
>complain.  Is there a reason why Mosaic displays "Adding 1 columns to table." while displaying a
>page containing frames?

The message should only occur for tables with bad column spanning (which
sometimes seems to be most of them) whether or not the table is in a frame.
In any case, you shouldn't be getting it unless you have enabled Table or
Bug tracing.  Check the settings of TABLETRACE and REPORTBUGS in the
preference file (it's most likely REPORTBUGS since you would be getting
quite a bit more if it was TABLETRACE).

If you didn't change one of them, but one is set to True, then this is
probably another case of preference file corruption.  I have no idea
what is causing it.  It only seems to occur when changing versions,
and the preference corrupted appears to be random.  I've never had
it happen to my file.

George
Archive-Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 08:54:31 +0100
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 02:34:25 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: Cookies working ??
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>	Hum. Are we sure that the cookies works ? The site
>http://www.namaste.com/ (indian groceries online) is saying, whenever I add
>things to cart, that "To access this site your browser must be accepting
>cookies" although, I do see cookies in the cookie-jar. Maybe it accepts it but
>do not give it back (persisten cookies). This speculation is based uppon the
>fact that I restarted a session and a new cookie was in the jar (same name but
>different path, same initial choice).

I've seen this problem with another site.  Lynx (a recent version with
cookie support) also fails.  Since Mosaic uses the Lynx cookie parsing
and tracking code, there is likely some problem with the cookie or the Web
server's cookie handling.  With the other site, I verified that Mosaic
was sending the received cookie back to the server.  Unfortunately, the
available documentation on cookies is rather limited; I don't remember
finding anything at all about the "old" cookie format.

Given that the cookies appear to be coming and going properly, the next
step is to get a LAN sniffer and capture a Netscape or IE transaction
with one of these sites.  Then try to reverse engineer the protocol.
I hadn't bothered to do so since it was just the one site and no one
appears to have reported it as a problem with Lynx which is much more
widely used than Mosaic.

George
Archive-Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 15:26:55 +0100
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 9:26:15 -0500
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG

> From:	SMTP%"VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG"
> To:	JLAURET
> CC:
> Subj:	Re: Cookies working ??
>
> >	Hum. Are we sure that the cookies works ? The site
> >http://www.namaste.com/ (indian groceries online) is saying, whenever I add
> >things to cart, that "To access this site your browser must be accepting
> >cookies" although, I do see cookies in the cookie-jar. Maybe it accepts it but
> >do not give it back (persisten cookies). This speculation is based uppon the
> >fact that I restarted a session and a new cookie was in the jar (same name but
> >different path, same initial choice).
>
> I've seen this problem with another site.  Lynx (a recent version with
> cookie support) also fails.  Since Mosaic uses the Lynx cookie parsing
> and tracking code, there is likely some problem with the cookie or the Web
> server's cookie handling.  With the other site, I verified that Mosaic
> was sending the received cookie back to the server.  Unfortunately, the
> available documentation on cookies is rather limited; I don't remember
> finding anything at all about the "old" cookie format.
>
> Given that the cookies appear to be coming and going properly, the next
> step is to get a LAN sniffer and capture a Netscape or IE transaction
> with one of these sites.  Then try to reverse engineer the protocol.

	OK. I can do the sniffing using Etherwatch or TCPDUMP. LEt me know if
you are interrested in it and which format/info would you like to have
exactly. ETHERWATCH with /display=all would show a dump in Hex and Ascii (I
think it should be fine). A complete dump of a session until cookie refusal
should be fine. A site accepting cookies would help you for trace comparison
so please, let me know about a working one as well.

> I hadn't bothered to do so since it was just the one site and no one
> appears to have reported it as a problem with Lynx which is much more
> widely used than Mosaic.

	Widely maybe but I use lynx only to quickly download
packages/softwares from the internet. To visit something like namaste.com, I
rather prefer to use Mosaic for sure ...

> George

                  Jerome LAURET S.U.N.Y. @ Stony Brook
       ,,,,,      Dept. of Chemistry
      ( o o )     Stony Brook NY 11794-3400
  ---m---U---m---------------------------------------------
  E-mail: jlauret@mail.chem.sunysb.edu
  URL   : http://nucwww.chem.sunysb.edu/jlauret/jlauret.html

Archive-Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:19:11 +0100
From: "Brian Tillman" <tillman@swdev.si.com>
To: <VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:17:41 -0500

>Check the settings of TABLETRACE and REPORTBUGS in the preference file

Both are "False"

 Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
 Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS      Addresses modified to prevent
 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
        This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

Archive-Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 17:36:43 +0100
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 11:30:55 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
CC: COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>>Check the settings of TABLETRACE and REPORTBUGS in the preference file

>Both are "False"

My mistake.  I didn't look close enough at the code.  The message is
displayed regardless of the trace settings.  There is a new HTMLTABLE.C
in the anonymous ftp area which corrects the problem.

George
Archive-Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 17:59:59 +0100
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 11:36:17 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>> Given that the cookies appear to be coming and going properly, the next
>> step is to get a LAN sniffer and capture a Netscape or IE transaction
>> with one of these sites.  Then try to reverse engineer the protocol.

>	OK. I can do the sniffing using Etherwatch or TCPDUMP. LEt me know if
>you are interrested in it and which format/info would you like to have
>exactly. ETHERWATCH with /display=all would show a dump in Hex and Ascii (I
>think it should be fine). A complete dump of a session until cookie refusal
>should be fine. A site accepting cookies would help you for trace comparison
>so please, let me know about a working one as well.

All I should need is an ASCII dump of a working session using Netscape
(just the part where you are adding to the shopping cart).  I can see
all I need of Mosaic's failure (and successes) using its built
in trace features.  With a little luck the problem may not be too
obscure; something simple like the "C" in cookie being the wrong case.
Unfortunately it could be something totally absurd, such as the order
of the header lines or the contents of an unrelated header.

>> I hadn't bothered to do so since it was just the one site and no one
>> appears to have reported it as a problem with Lynx which is much more
>> widely used than Mosaic.
>>
>	Widely maybe but I use lynx only to quickly download
>packages/softwares from the internet. To visit something like namaste.com, I
>rather prefer to use Mosaic for sure ...

Lynx is my only option when at home (like now).

George
Archive-Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:29:54 +0100
From: "Brian Tillman" <tillman@swdev.si.com>
To: <VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 12:28:18 -0500

>There is a new HTMLTABLE.C in the anonymous ftp area which corrects the problem.

Thanks.

I have another question: since Mosaic historically has been a multi-platform application (Unix,
Windows 32bit, etc.), how appropriate to other platforms are the changes you've made to the original
Mosaic in order to produce the current VMS Mosaic?  Have you made changes with only VMS in mind or
have you tried as best you can to be platform-independent?

 Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
 Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS      Addresses modified to prevent
 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
        This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

Archive-Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:58:49 +0100
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 12:58:47 -0500
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
From: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>

Brian..

An excellent question! I wonder if mosaic will still build on Linux?

Regards,

Jim
At 12:28 PM 2/8/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>>There is a new HTMLTABLE.C in the anonymous ftp area which corrects the
problem.

>Thanks.
>
>I have another question: since Mosaic historically has been a
multi-platform application (Unix,
>Windows 32bit, etc.), how appropriate to other platforms are the changes
you've made to the original
>Mosaic in order to produce the current VMS Mosaic?  Have you made changes
with only VMS in mind or
>have you tried as best you can to be platform-independent?
>
> Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
> Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
> 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS      Addresses modified to prevent
> Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
>        This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
      from the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.
Jim Jennis, Technical Director for Commercial Systems
Fuentez Systems Concepts, Inc.
1 Discovery Place, Suite 2
Martinsburg, WV. 25401
USA

Phone: +001 (304) 263-0163 ext. 235
Fax:   +001 (304) 263-0702
Email: jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com
       jhjennis@shentel.net
WEB: http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/
Archive-Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 22:00:34 +0100
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 15:44:46 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Brian Tillman <tillman@swdev.si.com>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>I have another question: since Mosaic historically has been a multi-platform application (Unix,
>Windows 32bit, etc.), how appropriate to other platforms are the changes you've made to the original
>Mosaic in order to produce the current VMS Mosaic?  Have you made changes with only VMS in mind or
>have you tried as best you can to be platform-independent?

Anything which is VMS specific is properly IFDEFed (stuff like RMS
attributes in file opens).  In other words, it should compile and run
just fine on UNIX (of course there are no UNIX build files).  Other
than strictly VMS specific issues, I take the same attitude toward UNIX
as the typical UNIX developer would take toward VMS.  For example,
I neither care nor know about UNIX issues such as file names which
start with a "." having a special meaning.  However, this type of
stuff could be corrected by a UNIX developer in fairly short order
with much less effort than the other way around (i.e. removing UNIXisms;
stuff like allowing multiple dots in file names).

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:00:56 +0100
From: "Oleksii Krykun" <krikun@academy.kiev.ua>
To: <VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org>
Subject: Mosaic 3-6 compilation errors
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:59:29 +0200

I'm trying to setup Mosaic 3-6 on VAX4000-200 under VMS 5.5-2H4 using VAXC
3.2.

I get following error:

         #ifndef DISABLE_TRACE
%CC-E-UNRECCHAR, Unrecognized character ignored.
                At line number 1075 in $1$DIA0:[MOSAIC.SRC]GLOBALHIST.C;1.

         #ifndef DISABLE_TRACE
%CC-E-SYNTAXERROR, Found identifier "DISABLE_TRACE" when expecting
                one of { arithmetic-operator relational-operator
logical-operator assignment-operator "(" "," "." ":" ";" "?" "<<" ">>" "++"
etc.
                At line number 1075 in $1$DIA0:[MOSAIC.SRC]GLOBALHIST.C;1.

        #endif
%CC-W-UNEXPPDIRX, Unexpected #endif preprocessor directive encountered;
                directive ignored.
                At line number 1080 in $1$DIA0:[MOSAIC.SRC]GLOBALHIST.C;1.

        }
%CC-I-NOBJECT, No object file produced.
                At line number 1309 in $1$DIA0:[MOSAIC.SRC]GLOBALHIST.C;1.

Could somebody help me?

Archive-Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:24:55 +0100
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:25:00 -0500
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
From: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>
Subject: Re: Mosaic 3-6 compilation errors

Hello!

VAX-C 3.2 is REALLY OLD and out of date. I would highly recommend updating
to DECC 5.6 or above (current version is 6.2) or (if this is impossible)
put gcc on your machine.

Regards,

Jim

At 12:59 PM 2/10/2000 +0200, you wrote:
>I'm trying to setup Mosaic 3-6 on VAX4000-200 under VMS 5.5-2H4 using VAXC
>3.2.
>
>I get following error:
>
>         #ifndef DISABLE_TRACE
>%CC-E-UNRECCHAR, Unrecognized character ignored.
>                At line number 1075 in $1$DIA0:[MOSAIC.SRC]GLOBALHIST.C;1.
>
>         #ifndef DISABLE_TRACE
>%CC-E-SYNTAXERROR, Found identifier "DISABLE_TRACE" when expecting
>                one of { arithmetic-operator relational-operator
>logical-operator assignment-operator "(" "," "." ":" ";" "?" "<<" ">>" "++"
>etc.
>                At line number 1075 in $1$DIA0:[MOSAIC.SRC]GLOBALHIST.C;1.
>
>        #endif
>%CC-W-UNEXPPDIRX, Unexpected #endif preprocessor directive encountered;
>                directive ignored.
>                At line number 1080 in $1$DIA0:[MOSAIC.SRC]GLOBALHIST.C;1.
>
>        }
>%CC-I-NOBJECT, No object file produced.
>                At line number 1309 in $1$DIA0:[MOSAIC.SRC]GLOBALHIST.C;1.
>
>Could somebody help me?

FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
      from the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.
Jim Jennis, Technical Director for Commercial Systems
Fuentez Systems Concepts, Inc.
1 Discovery Place, Suite 2
Martinsburg, WV. 25401
USA

Phone: +001 (304) 263-0163 ext. 235
Fax:   +001 (304) 263-0702
Email: jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com
       jhjennis@shentel.net
WEB: http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/
Archive-Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:30:25 +0100
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:26:58 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Oleksii Krykun <krikun@academy.kiev.ua>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@levitte.org, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>I'm trying to setup Mosaic 3-6 on VAX4000-200 under VMS 5.5-2H4 using VAXC
>3.2.

>I get following error:

>         #ifndef DISABLE_TRACE
>%CC-E-UNRECCHAR, Unrecognized character ignored.
>                At line number 1075 in $1$DIA0:[MOSAIC.SRC]GLOBALHIST.C;1.

Delete the space in front of the " #ifndef" on line number 1075 in
GLOBALHIST.C.

George
Archive-Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:00:04 +0100
From: "HTCarmichael, VMS System Programmer" <hcarmichael@ctronsoft.com>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:03:59 -0500
Subject: Other Mosaic 3-6 compilation errors

Hello:
This may really be a GNU C problem, but I thought I'd ask here.
I'm trying to build Mosaic 3.6 on a VAXstation 4000, running VMS 7.1
using
GNU C version 2.7.1  using MMK.  The command line is:

@make_mosaic nodebug cmu /ignore=warning deb mmk

The sort of error that stops things is as follows:
GCC/OBJECT=ODIR:ANNOTATE.OBJ ANNOTATE.C
In file included from annotate.c:56:
mosaic.h:162: Xmx.h: no such file or directory
%GCC-E-NOOBJECT, no object file was produced
I can cure this error by changing

#include <X11/Xmx.h>

to read

#include <X11:Xmx.h>

but it's not a particularly good cure.  Is there a switch I can use so the
preprocessor will accept the "slash" notation?

Henry Carmichael
Computron Software, Inc.

If there are any questions, please call me at Ext. 557.
Henry

-- Henry T. Carmichael, VMS System Programmer --
Archive-Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:53:59 +0100
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:46:50 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: Other Mosaic 3-6 compilation errors
To: "HTCarmichael, VMS System Programmer" <hcarmichael@ctronsoft.com>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>This may really be a GNU C problem, but I thought I'd ask here.
>I'm trying to build Mosaic 3.6 on a VAXstation 4000, running VMS 7.1
>using
>GNU C version 2.7.1  using MMK.  The command line is:

>GCC/OBJECT=ODIR:ANNOTATE.OBJ ANNOTATE.C
>In file included from annotate.c:56:
>mosaic.h:162: Xmx.h: no such file or directory
>%GCC-E-NOOBJECT, no object file was produced
>I can cure this error by changing

>#include <X11/Xmx.h>

>to read

>#include <X11:Xmx.h>

First, make sure that the logical prior to the slash is defined.
Athough the above is not what is at line 162 in mosaic.h, there
are lines in various places that need the X11 logical which is
defined by DECwindows.  Does this logical exist?  What version
of DECwindows/Motif are you running?

George
Archive-Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:26:01 +0100
From: "HTCarmichael, VMS System Programmer" <hcarmichael@ctronsoft.com>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 08:53:45 -0500
CC:

>>This may really be a GNU C problem, but I thought I'd ask here.
>>I'm trying to build Mosaic 3.6 on a VAXstation 4000, running VMS 7.1
>>using
>>GNU C version 2.7.1  using MMK.  The command line is:

>>GCC/OBJECT=ODIR:ANNOTATE.OBJ ANNOTATE.C
>>In file included from annotate.c:56:
>>mosaic.h:162: Xmx.h: no such file or directory
>>%GCC-E-NOOBJECT, no object file was produced
>>I can cure this error by changing

>>#include <X11/Xmx.h>

>>to read

>>#include <X11:Xmx.h>

>First, make sure that the logical prior to the slash is defined.
>Athough the above is not what is at line 162 in mosaic.h, there
>are lines in various places that need the X11 logical which is
>defined by DECwindows.  Does this logical exist?  What version
>of DECwindows/Motif are you running?

>George

I have checked the logicals, and all three of the needed ones are defined -
X11 = DECW$INCLUDE:
XM = DECW$INCLUDE:
XMU = SYS$SYSROOT:[[DECW$INCLUDE.XMU]

I am using Motif DW V1.2-3960214.

Perhaps another interesting item in this is that I have built Mosaic in the
past on a different machine, setting the X* logicals above to point to the
VAXstation, defining SYS$UPDATE and DECW$INCLUDE to point to the
VAXstation and SYS$SHARE to point to the local machine and the Vaxstation,
then compiling with DECC, and running the executable on the Vaxstation.
I have not previously tried to use Gnu C, which is why I wondered if it had
some quirk that I don't know of.

Henry Carmichael

If there are any questions, please call me at Ext. 557.
Henry

-- Henry T. Carmichael, VMS System Programmer --
Archive-Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:53:01 +0100
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:51:49 -0600
From: system@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
Subject: www.pricewatch.com search problem

When I try to use the search on www.pricewatch.com I get

Requested document (URL /search/search.asp?criteria=scsi) could not be
accessed.

The information server either is not accessible or is refusing to serve the
document to y

It works under lynx.

Any thoughts?

VMS 7.2 Mosaic 3.6 compiled under DEC C 6.0, with SSL.

Robert
Archive-Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 08:47:43 +0100
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 02:45:52 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: www.pricewatch.com search problem
To: system@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>Requested document (URL /search/search.asp?criteria=scsi) could not be
>accessed.

This problem is fixed in a new GUI.C which is in the anonymous ftp
area on alpha.wvnet.edu.

George
Archive-Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 09:58:12 +0100
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 03:33:07 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: "HTCarmichael, VMS System Programmer" <hcarmichael@ctronsoft.com>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>>>This may really be a GNU C problem, but I thought I'd ask here.
>>>I'm trying to build Mosaic 3.6 on a VAXstation 4000, running VMS 7.1
>>>using
>>>GNU C version 2.7.1  using MMK.  The command line is:

>>>GCC/OBJECT=ODIR:ANNOTATE.OBJ ANNOTATE.C
>>>In file included from annotate.c:56:
>>>mosaic.h:162: Xmx.h: no such file or directory
>>>%GCC-E-NOOBJECT, no object file was produced
>>>I can cure this error by changing

>>>#include <X11/Xmx.h>

>>>to read

>>>#include <X11:Xmx.h>

Is the logical GNU_CC_INCLUDE defined?  If so, does it point to
a set of directories containing a large number (300+) .h files?
Is GCC defined as a symbol or was it added as a DCL command?

George
Archive-Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:00:09 +0100
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:58:12 -0600
From: system@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
Subject: mosaic wishlist

I sent in my 3.6b "postcard" without filling in "What feature do
you want most", because it has been a long time since I used
Mosaic with any regularity.

The ability to click on a link before all the graphics are downloaded.

Is there documentation on preferences?

Aside from:
http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/Docs/resources.html

Robert
Archive-Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 14:07:53 +0100
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 07:43:26 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: mosaic wishlist
To: system@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>The ability to click on a link before all the graphics are downloaded.

The way to do this is to click on the Mosaic icon which will interrupt
the image downloads at which point a link can be clicked on.

Being able to click on a link without first doing the interrupt is
problematic given Mosaic's non-threaded design.

>Is there documentation on preferences?

>Aside from:
>http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/Docs/resources.html

No.

George
Archive-Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:09:37 +0100
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:08:13 -0500
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
Subject: Problem with Refresh URL Support ??

	Hum ... I think I found a bug in refresh support. If one goes to
www/dell.com/us/en/dhs/default.htm and click on "Dell-Factory Outlet"
(left side), the page appears and then blinks but the new link is never
loaded/followed. In other words, the same /html/us/outlet/redir/dhs.htm is
loaded again and again without any link followup. The source of that document
seems right to me though
(HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CoNTENT="0;URL= http://www.dell.com/html/us/outlet/index.htm")
(it can be inspected with Refresh Support off).

	Could someone verify this and confirm that problem ?

             ,,,,,
            ( o o )
         --m---U---m--
             Jerome

Archive-Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 03:03:34 +0100
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:02:17 -0500
From: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
Subject: Ps printing (saving) problem found

	I found a printing problem : if I go to www.informit.com and try to
save a page (print) in Ps form, the produced document dows not have the proper
content. Only part of the page is saved ...

             ,,,,,
            ( o o )
         --m---U---m--
             Jerome

Archive-Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 00:32:45 +0100
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:29:27 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: Problem with Refresh URL Support ??
To: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>	Hum ... I think I found a bug in refresh support. If one goes to
>www/dell.com/us/en/dhs/default.htm and click on "Dell-Factory Outlet"
>(left side), the page appears and then blinks but the new link is never
>loaded/followed. In other words, the same /html/us/outlet/redir/dhs.htm is
>loaded again and again without any link followup. The source of that document
>seems right to me though
>(HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CoNTENT="0;URL= http://www.dell.com/html/us/outlet/index.htm")
>(it can be inspected with Refresh Support off).

The problem is caused by the space after "URL=" and will be corrected in
the next release.

George
Archive-Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 13:37:33 +0100
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 07:34:44 -0500 (EST)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: Ps printing (saving) problem found
To: Jerome LAURET <JLAURET@mail.chem.sunysb.edu>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>	I found a printing problem : if I go to www.informit.com and try to
>save a page (print) in Ps form, the produced document dows not have the proper
>content. Only part of the page is saved ...

There is a new HTML-PSFORMAT.C which corrects the problem in the