G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: levitte

Archive-Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:58:57 +0200
From: "Brian Tillman" <tillman@swdev.si.com>
To: "Mosaic Support" <vms-mosaic@levitte.org>
Subject: FTP proxies don't seem to work
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:43:54 -0400

When I try to download anything, say, a Zip file using Mosaic, and I'm
connected through my company's proxy server, the download doesn't work.  The
status bar says "Making FTP connection to xxxxxx.si.com:80." and there it
sits.  HTTP proxies work just fine.

Our proxy server requires a username/password to be entered.  George, you
may recall implementing prompted proxy access for me.

Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS      Addresses modified to prevent
Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
       This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

Archive-Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 05:58:53 +0200
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:43:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: FTP proxies don't seem to work
To: Brian Tillman <tillman@swdev.si.com>
CC: Mosaic Support <vms-mosaic@levitte.org>, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>When I try to download anything, say, a Zip file using Mosaic, and I'm
>connected through my company's proxy server, the download doesn't work.  The
>status bar says "Making FTP connection to xxxxxx.si.com:80." and there it
>sits.  HTTP proxies work just fine.

>Our proxy server requires a username/password to be entered.  George, you
>may recall implementing prompted proxy access for me.

Has any one ever used Mosaic to ftp thru a proxy server?  A very quick
look at the code tells me that there is no support for it (I could be
wrong because the LIBWWW2 library is some of the most convoluted code
I've ever had to deal with).  I do not have access to a proxy server
to use for testing.

If it were a simple matter of making the same types of changes as
were needed to add username/password support to the http proxy code,
I might me able to get it added by summer's end, however implementing
full ftp proxy support from scratch is not going to happen in the
foreseeable future (unless someone else does it).  If Lynx had ftp
proxy support I could borrow its code, but Lynx doesn't appear to
support it either.

George
Archive-Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:54:41 +0200
From: "Brian Tillman" <tillman@swdev.si.com>
To: <VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG>
CC: <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:40:13 -0400

>If Lynx had ftp proxy support I could borrow its code, but Lynx doesn't
appear to
>support it either.

Works for me.  I can use ftp://... URLs in lynx through the same proxy
server.

Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS      Addresses modified to prevent
Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
       This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

Archive-Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:25:06 +0200
From: "Carmichael, Henry" <hcarmichael@ctronsoft.com>
To: "'VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG'" <VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:20:01 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFE20F.C92C82AC

I access the internet through a proxy server with Mosaic 3.0
on a VAXstation 4000/60 under OpenVMS V7.1 and the CMU
TCP/IP package.  The setup does not require a username &
password.  I had no problem downloading the new Mosaic 3.6
from George Cook's ftp site at WVU.

Henry Carmichael

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>RE: FTP proxies don't seem to work</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I access the internet through a proxy server with =
Mosaic 3.0 </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>on a VAXstation 4000/60 under OpenVMS V7.1 and the =
CMU </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>TCP/IP package.&nbsp; The setup does not require a =
username &amp; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>password.&nbsp; I had no problem downloading the new =
Mosaic 3.6 </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>from George Cook's ftp site at WVU.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Henry Carmichael</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; From: Brian Tillman [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:tillman@swdev.si.com">mailto:tillman@swdev.si.com</A>]</F=

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Sent: Monday, June 26, 2000 13:40</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Cc: COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Subject: Re: FTP proxies don't seem to =
work</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt;If Lynx had ftp proxy support I could =
borrow its code, but </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Lynx doesn't</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; appear to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt;support it either.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Works for me.&nbsp; I can use <A =
HREF=3D"ftp://" TARGET=3D"_blank">ftp://</A>... URLs in lynx through =
the same proxy</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; server.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Brian =
Tillman&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Internet: tillman_brian at =
si.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Smiths Industries, =
Inc.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; tillman at swdev.si.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, =
MS&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Addresses modified to prevent</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Grand Rapids, MI =
49512-1991&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; SPAM.&nbsp; Replace &quot;at&quot; =
with &quot;@&quot;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This =
opinion doesn't represent that of my company</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01BFE20F.C92C82AC--
Archive-Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:17:57 +0200
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:45:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
To: Brian Tillman <tillman@swdev.si.com>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>>If Lynx had ftp proxy support I could borrow its code, but Lynx doesn't
>appear to
>>support it either.

>Works for me.  I can use ftp://... URLs in lynx through the same proxy
>server.

The problem is that there is zero indication of proxy support in
the Lynx and Mosaic ftp modules, which means that the support is
hidden somewhere else.  Because the LIBWWW2 library does routine
calls based on the contents of runtime variables, it is almost
impossible to tell what the code is doing by looking at the sources
(even with three monitors each having multiple Decterm editing
sessions).  I frequently have to use the debugger in order to see
what the code does (won't work in this case since I don't have
a proxy server).

It may be some time before I get a chance to trace the code manually.
I just spent the entire week so far at home babysitting a contractor who
did as much damage as humanly possible to my properly while repairing
a leak in my natural gas service line.  If the gas company doesn't
fail to show up today (like they did yesterday), I may have gas (and
hot water) again for the first time since last Friday.  Then the
damage repairs start (with the tearing up of even more concrete).
It wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that the leak probably
wasn't even big enough to keep a gas stove pilot light lit.

George