G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: levitte

Archive-Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 20:24:57 +0200
From: "Brian Tillman" <tillman@swdev.si.com>
To: "Mosaic Support" <vms-mosaic@levitte.org>
Subject: Mosaic 3.6-1 crash
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 14:11:08 -0400

I was attempting to assess a site hosted on Lycos () and when I rejected a
cookie, Mosaic crashed with:

Congratulations, you may have found a bug in (your copy of)
VMS Mosaic 3.6-1 on OpenVMS VAX.

Remaining page file quota 70510 (page file quota = 81920)

If you did not read the README.VMS-3_x file carefully before installing, it
might be a good time to do it now.  If there were any compilation or linking
errors, you should try to find the reason for them and correct them.
If this does not help, please take note of what happened in as much detail
as possible and send mail to cook@wvnet.edu.

Your VMS version appears to be V7.1 running on a VAX 4000-600A.
The TCP/IP software is UCX (or UCX compatible).
Your Mosaic executable was generated using Motif 1.2-4
and was built on  8-JUN-2000 23:17:39.76 with image Ident 3.6-1
using DEC C.

The logical SYS$LOGIN points to A305_DISK:[TILLMAN]
The logical SYS$SCRATCH points to A305_DISK:[TILLMAN]
...exiting VMS Mosaic now.

I'd give you the URL, but every time I try, I crash first.

Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS      Addresses modified to prevent
Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
       This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

Archive-Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 21:26:09 +0200
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:23:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: Mosaic 3.6-1 crash
To: Brian Tillman <tillman@swdev.si.com>
CC: Mosaic Support <vms-mosaic@levitte.org>, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>I was attempting to assess a site hosted on Lycos () and when I rejected a
>cookie, Mosaic crashed with:

Does it crash if you accept the cookie?  You can always manually remove
it afterwards.

>I'd give you the URL, but every time I try, I crash first.

Try building Mosaic @MAKE_MOSAIC DEBUG in order to find which line
of code it is dieing on.

George
Archive-Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:44:54 +0200
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:48:26 +0200
From: "Eberhard Mater, dSH-SfR, Tel:0551/709-2453" <Eberhard.Mater@dlr.de>
To: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
Subject: Printing color URL's?

Hi,

i've problems printing the following color URL:

 http://support.sgi.com/lang/73compiler_varsity.html

Only the 'navigation bar' is printed in color, after
'font color legend'  the text is printed in s/w.

Any suggestions?

Eberhard
--
Eberhard Mater       		          Email: Eberhard.Mater@debis-sfr.de
debis Systemhaus                          Phone: +49 (551) 709-2453
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:47:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: George Cook <COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Re: Printing color URL's?
To: "Eberhard Mater, dSH-SfR, Tel:0551/709-2453" <Eberhard.Mater@dlr.de>
CC: VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, COOK@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

>i've problems printing the following color URL:

> http://support.sgi.com/lang/73compiler_varsity.html

>Only the 'navigation bar' is printed in color, after
>'font color legend'  the text is printed in s/w.

Font colors are not supported when printing.  As with most unsupported
stuff, it is simply a matter of someone having the time to do the
coding.  The problem with font color support is in dealing with both
hex and alpha color values (requires a conversion table, etc.);
nothing hard, just a matter of coding and testing.

George
Archive-Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:00:57 +0200
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:08:40 -0400
To: VMS-WEB-daemon@KJSL.COM, VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG
From: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>
Subject: VNC for VMS??

Hi VMS Colleagues!

I know that this is "off topic" for both the VMS-WEB and VMS-MOSAIC mailing
lists, nevertheless, since there are so many excellent VMS professionals on
these lists, I thought I would post them here.

I am looking for a vnc client/server for VMS.

For those of you not familiar with the technology...you may visit

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

VNC viewers for VMS 7.1 on both Vax an Alpha are available on the Law
Bulletin Publishing Company's FTP server.

ftp.lawbulletin.com

(in the /vnc directory)

Is anyone on the list using VNC on OVMS?

I'm also wondering if there is any interest on the lists to put together a
little project for a VNC server for OVMS

For those of you unfamiliar with VNC, here is a brief outline from their
home page:

VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote
display system which allows you to view a computing 'desktop'
environment not only on the machine where it is running, but from anywhere
on the Internet and from a wide variety of machine architectures.

The VNC system allows you to access the same desktop from a wide variety of
platforms.

Many of us, for example, use a VNC viewer running on a PC on our desks to
display our Unix environments which are running on a large server
in the machine room downstairs.

What makes it different from other systems?

For this simple mode of operation, you could achieve a similar effect by
installing an X server on your PC. The important factors which distinguish

VNC from other remote display systems such as X are as follows:

No state is stored at the viewer. This means you can leave your desk, go to
another machine, whether next door or several hundred miles
away, reconnect to your desktop from there and finish the sentence you were
typing. Even the cursor will be in the same place.   With a
PC X server, if your PC crashes or is restarted, all the remote
applications will die.  With VNC they go on running.

It is small and simple. The Win32 viewer, for example, is about 150K in
size and can be run directly from a floppy. There is no installation needed.

It is truly platform-independent. A desktop running on a Linux machine may
be displayed on a PC. Or a Solaris machine. Or any number
of other architectures. The simplicity of the protocol makes it easy to
port to new platforms. We have a Java viewer, which will run in any
Java-capable browser. We have a Windows NT server, allowing you to view the
desktop of a remote NT machine on any of these platforms using exactly the
same viewer.  (The NT server is not multi-user - see the documentation).
And other people have ported VNC to a wide variety of other platforms.
Click the 'Contributed' button on the left for details.

It is sharable. One desktop can be displayed and used by several viewers at
once, allowing CSCW-style applications. It is free! You can download it,
use it, and redistribute it under the terms of the GNU Public Licence. Both
binaries and source code are
available from the download page, along with a complete copy of this
documentation.

Best regards,

Jim
FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
      from the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.
Jim Jennis, Technical Director for Commercial Systems
Fuentez Systems Concepts, Inc.
1 Discovery Place, Suite 2
Martinsburg, WV. 25401
USA

Phone: +001 (304) 263-0163 ext. 235
Fax:   +001 (304) 263-0702
Email: jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com
       jhjennis@shentel.net
WEB: http://www.discovery.fuentez.com/
Archive-Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:59:36 +0200
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:58:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Selden E Ball Jr <SEB@LNS62.LNS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: Re: VNC for VMS??
To: Jim Jennis <jjennis@discovery.fuentez.com>
CC: VMS-WEB-daemon@KJSL.COM, VMS-MOSAIC@LEVITTE.ORG, SEB@LNS62.LNS.CORNELL.EDU

Jim wrote

> I am looking for a vnc client/server for VMS.

For what it's worth, many network and system managers are highly
prejudiced against VNC. Since it's a "screen scraper", it often
uses a lot of system and network resources. It can also be a
serious security problem.

Selden
======
Selden E. Ball, Jr.

Cornell University                 Voice: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory of Nuclear Studies        FAX: +1-607-255-8062
230A Wilson Synchrotron Lab         http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/
Judd Falls & Dryden Road        Internet: SEB@LNS62.LNS.CORNELL.EDU
Ithaca, NY, USA 14853-8001   HEPnet/SPAN: LNS62::SEB = 44284::SEB