Re: FTP and TELNET daemons as non root on OSF/1.

On 16 Aug, Brian A May wrote:
+-----
|  It would be nice if I could run my own telnet daemon without bothering
|  root about it (if that were possible), however, I think there are more
|  important issues to worry about in Heimdal right now.
+--->8

I think you could only do that if you arranged for a program other than
login to be run; at minimum, a Kerberized connection would attempt to
run "login -f", which is only legal when run by root.  (ptys might or
might not be a problem:  on systems using System V / POSIX ptys, there
is generally a small setuid-root program that is invoked by grantpt()
to deal with pty access.)

My guess about the corrupted characters is that for some reason
tc[gs]etattr() failed and you got scrambled settings on the pty:  on at
least some System V-derived systems, that can result in a character
size of 5 bits (!).

--
brandon s. allbery	   os/2,linux,solaris,perl	allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	   kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt	  allbery@ece.cmu.edu