Re: FTP and TELNET daemons as non root on OSF/1.

On Fri, Aug 13, 1999 at 12:40:13PM +0200, Johan Danielsson wrote:
> > That is fine. My guess is that the pututxline might be related to
> > not being able to allocate a pty.
>
> Almost, it can't create a utmpx (for things like who) record for this
> session. You get the same behaviour with a non-setuid xterm. As it is
> now, it bails out after that.

Actually - aren't both issues a problem? In order to use a pty, you have
to change its permissions (I think), which requires root access.

> I think your problems are due to timing bugs in telnetd. That it works
> at all it just a miracle. Login will also complain about not being run
> as root.

You mean the data curruption?

> Do you think this is worth fixing, telnetd isn't really designed to be
> run as non-root?

It would be nice if I could run my own telnet daemon without bothering
root about it (if that were possible), however, I think there are more
important issues to worry about in Heimdal right now.

--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>

PGP signature