Re: openssl-0.9.6c krb4.1.1.1 libdes

(note: I get the inpression that you have not shown your actual problem
here, just a symptom which actually is configure doing it job quite
correctly).

On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 00:19, Ralf Grabow wrote:
> configure:16380: checking if crypt needs a prototype

... no it doesn't need a prototype, you already have a prototype. In
fact, the error below is probably intentional, to tell configure you
already have a prototype.

You do realize I hope that config.log doesn't record the results of
compiling the program, but is a series of tests used in order to
determine how to compile the application, and some failures are to be
expected?

> configure:16408: gcc -c  -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
> configure: In function `main':
> configure:16399: conflicting types for `crypt'
> /usr/include/crypt.h:33: previous declaration of `crypt'

This is a libc6 file, on my system, that line reads:

extern char *crypt (__const char *__key, __const char *__salt) __THROW;

So yes, I would guess, you definitely do have a prototype.

> configure:16399: warning: extern declaration of `crypt' doesn't match
> global one
> configure:16411: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 16386 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
>
> #ifdef HAVE_CRYPT_H
> #include <crypt.h>
> #endif
> #ifdef HAVE_UNISTD_H
> #include <unistd.h>
> #endif
>
> int
> main ()
> {
> struct foo { int foo; } xx;
> extern int crypt (struct foo*);

This crypt function on the other hand only takes one parameter, not two,
hence the conflict. Since that test program failed, configure knows that
the crypt function doesn't need or want another prototype.

> crypt(&xx);
>
>   ;
>   return 0;
> }
> configure:16427: result: no
>

> A thread in openssl-mailing-list in 2001/11 sounds that a libdes-library
> will not further support.
>
> I have found a patch for cyrus-sasl-1.5.27 and heimdal-0.4e to avoid
> Problems with DES.
> Is there a similar patch for krb4-1.1.1 or another solution?

Crypt is a primitive routine in the standard C library for creating
password entries in /etc/passwd.

You do not need openssl or libdes or anything else to provide crypt
functionality.

I doubt if openssl or libdes even provide a crypt function.

I hope that this clears up some confusion which seems apparent in your
discussions with Johan.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>