Re: kpasswd not working

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Wolfgang Friebel wrote:

> On 2 Jul 2002, Johan Danielsson wrote:
>
> > Wolfgang Friebel <friebel@ifh.de> writes:
> >
> > > Meanwhile I tried Linux client and server as well with the same result.
> >
> > Strange. What does the packet look like?

Meanwhile I made some more tests and solved the puzzle:

When doing a tcpdump on the server where the kdc is living, I observed
that the kdc was talking to another kpasswdd. Somebody else had set up a
cell with the same name (on a Windows 2000 machine).
For some strange reason the kdc was transferring the request to that
kpasswdd and not to the local one.

The man page krb5.conf says: kpasswd_server ... If there is no such entry,
the kpasswd port on the admin_server host will be tried.

That is not true. When I added kpasswd_server = hostname, everything went
well. Also the section name [appdefaults] has to be [libdefaults].

Wolfgang Friebel