Re: kinit and foreign (Japanese) names

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:17:47PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Nicolas> The Kerberos V protocol is not properly
>     Nicolas> internationalized.  There is an ongoing effort at the
>     Nicolas> IETF KRB WG to correct this.
>
>     Nicolas> Until such standards work is completed and implemented
>     Nicolas> you cannot expect non-ASCII Kerberos V principal names to
>     Nicolas> work interoperably.
>
> Yeah, although I cannot really think what's breaking here.  Possibly
> some salt handling issue?

Yeah.  And pre-auth failed indicates that the problem has to do with the
password, not the princ name.

Questions:

 - is the user typing in the princ name and password in a UTF-8 locale?
 - was the password originally typed in in a UTF-8 locale (i.e., when it
   was last changed)?

 - when you use the kadmin tool to look at the principal record in a
   UTF-8 locale, does it render correctly?  How about in the C locale?

Nico