Re: Incomplete documentation

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Martin MOKREJŠ wrote:

I seems everyone is either busy or doesn't know anwers to my questions ...
and I have continuation already ... :)

> But http://www.pdc.kth.se/heimdal/heimdal.html#Building%20and%20Installing
> says:
>
> --with-krb4=dir
>     Gives the location of Kerberos 4 libraries and headers. This enables Kerberos 4 support in the applications (telnet, rsh, popper, etc) and the KDC. It is automatically check for in /usr/athena. If you keep libraries and headers in different places, you can instead give the path to each with the --with-krb4-lib=dir, and --with-krb4-include=dir options.
>
>     You will need a fairly recent version of our Kerberos 4 distribution for rshd and popper to support version 4 clients.
> --enable-kaserver
>     Enables experimental kaserver support in the KDC. This is the protocol used by the "KDC" in AFS. Requires Kerberos 4 support.
> --enable-kaserver-db
>     Enables experimental support for reading kaserver databases in hprop. This is useful when migrating from a kaserver to a Heimdal KDC.
>

> So, how am I supposed to configure heimdal whe want to use AFS? With or
> without --with-krb4. How about the --enable-kaserver option. As I do not
> need to convert from krb4 to krb5 type databse, I can omit
> --enable-kaserver-db, right?

I gave it a last shot: tried compiling heimdal against krb4(with it's own libdes)
and asking heimdal to add support for krb4 and openssl(0.9.7b):

./configure --with-openssl=/usr/local/openssl --with-readline --with-x --enable-kaserver --with-krb4=/usr/athena

configure:8728: checking for krb4
configure:8804: cc  -o conftest ./configure: line 1: krb4-config: command not found -O2 -arch ev56 -I/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl
-I/software/@sys/usr/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/openssl/include -I/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl  conftest.c ./config
ure: line 1: krb4-config: command not found -L/usr/local/lib -L/software/@sys/usr/lib -L/usr/local/openssl/lib -L/usr/lib >&5
cc: Severe: configure, line 8786: Cannot find file <krb.h> specified in #include directive. (noinclfilef)
#include <krb.h>
-^

checking for krb4... headers /usr/athena/include, libraries /usr/athena/lib
checking for four valued krb_put_int... yes
checking for KRB_VERIFY_SECURE... yes
checking for KRB_VERIFY_NOT_SECURE... yes
checking for krb_enable_debug... yes
checking for krb_disable_debug... yes
checking for krb_get_our_ip_for_realm... yes
checking for krb_kdctimeofday... yes
checking for krb_get_kdc_time_diff... yes
checking for KRB_SENDAUTH_VERS... yes
checking for krb_mk_req with const arguments... yes
checking for crypto library... libcrypto
configure: error: the crypto library used by krb4 lacks features
required by Kerberos 5; to continue, you need to install a newer
Kerberos 4 or configure --without-krb4

configure:10538: cc  -o conftest -DHAVE_OLD_HASH_NAMES -I/usr/athena/include -O2 -arch ev56 -I/software/@sys/usr/include -I/usr/local/in
clude -I/usr/local/openssl/include  conftest.c -L/usr/athena/lib -ldes -L/usr/local/lib -L/software/@sys/usr/lib -L/usr/local/openssl/li
b -L/usr/lib >&5
cc: Severe: configure, line 10488: Cannot find file <aes.h> specified in #include directive. (noinclfilef)
                #include <aes.h>
-----------------^

Sure it cannot find it, it should look for openssl/aes.h !

So I pass in -I/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl but I get:

CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl" CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -I/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl" ./configure --with-openssl=/usr/local/openssl --with-readline --with-x --enable-kaserver --with-krb4=/usr/athena

configure:10538: cc  -o conftest -DHAVE_OLD_HASH_NAMES -I/usr/athena/include -O2 -arch ev56 -I/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl -I/soft
ware/@sys/usr/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/openssl/include -I/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl  conftest.c -L/usr/athena/l
ib -ldes -L/usr/local/lib -L/software/@sys/usr/lib -L/usr/local/openssl/lib -L/usr/lib >&5
ld:
Unresolved:
AES_encrypt
DES_cbc_encrypt

Sure it can't find AES_encrypt, no -lcrypto is specidfied on commandline.

I tried comfiguring heimdal --without-openssl , as krb4 was also compiled without
openssl support:

checking for krb4... headers /usr/athena/include, libraries /usr/athena/lib
checking for four valued krb_put_int... yes
checking for KRB_VERIFY_SECURE... yes
checking for KRB_VERIFY_NOT_SECURE... yes
checking for krb_enable_debug... yes
checking for krb_disable_debug... yes
checking for krb_get_our_ip_for_realm... yes
checking for krb_kdctimeofday... yes
checking for krb_get_kdc_time_diff... yes
checking for KRB_SENDAUTH_VERS... yes
checking for krb_mk_req with const arguments... yes
checking for crypto library... included libdes
configure: error: the crypto library used by krb4 lacks features
required by Kerberos 5; to continue, you need to install a newer
Kerberos 4 or configure --without-krb4

configure:10538: cc  -o conftest -DHAVE_OLD_HASH_NAMES -I/usr/athena/include -O2 -arch ev56 -I/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl -I/soft
ware/@sys/usr/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/openssl/include -I/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl  conftest.c -L/usr/athena/l
ib -ldes -L/usr/local/lib -L/software/@sys/usr/lib -L/usr/local/openssl/lib -L/usr/lib >&5
ld:
Unresolved:
AES_encrypt
DES_cbc_encrypt

-lcrypto is missing again.

I'm waiting for official patch and configure command-line. ;)

Thanks